1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kodak MFT camera delayed

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by madogvelkor, Jul 30, 2013.

1. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
  2. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

This guy seems to have no love for mFT. Too bad on the delay.

3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm beginning to lean more toward vaporware on this whole "Kodak" enterprise.

4. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Or maybe it's just lack of faith in the engineering expertise of the is company to produce a credible mFT product.

5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    What expertise is that?

6. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    EXACTLY! :biggrin:

Sometimes I think companies think that micro four thirds sprung forth full blown from the forehead of some god of photography and all they have to do is invoke the name, lol.

Certainly, when I see the problems Canon had with mirrorless, it's apparent that somebody underestimated the experience that needs to be acquired to create a working blend of hardware and software. Even Fuji struggled with the X100 for awhile.

I think these guys may be a case in point. It's not just a matter of making each subsystem work, it's a matter of making them work together as a truly integrated system within the constraints of the limited hardware and software of a small digital camera.

Well, that was longer than I intended....

7. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Even if it got amazing reviews, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Kodak has been churning out crap for years. Their consumer cameras have been made by Funai for a long time.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    This isn't Kodak. Kodak is defunct. This is a Chinese holding company with American financial managers that licensed Kodak's brand from Kodak's bankruptcy administrator.

9. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    This is a new company licensing the Kodak name. I'm not sure who will be manufacturing the cameras, and if they're using the same manufacturer for their P&S and their MFT.

I suspect they're running into production issues rather than design issues at this point.

10. huai

huai Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2013
    It's an American company (based in FL) that was planning to rebrand some old oly bodies.

11. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Yeah, similar to how Sakar licenses the Kodak name for camera accessories.

Which is actually a little confusing because Sakar also makes Polaroid and Vivitar cameras, but apparently didn't pay enough to get the Kodak license for cameras.

12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, this is the most sensible description of JK Imaging in this thread. I don't know where this BS about a "Chinese company" comes from. J-K Imaging is totally American, based in Florida with an American CEO. This is Joe Atick, the CEO of J-K Imaging:
    JoeAtick1.

He is also the Principal of Jaacx Distributors, which distributes electronics to Latin America, including Olympus and Sony products. After Kodak relaunches, they will also be the Kodak distributor to Latin America. He is also CEO of another company (JA Holdings)... also based in Florida, not China.

Here's some more information dug up on the company, including a few vague answers from Mr. Atick himself: Kodak camera licence to unknown start-up | PhotoCounter

Seems they're still pretty small, and I'm sure their resources are pretty tight. This delay does not surprise me. What WOULD have surprised me would have been if they were on time! I don't think this delay shows any indication of this being vaporware. Since they have not moved the official release date yet even though they have indicated they will not likely make 2013, that says to me that they'll be late but not that late.

13. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    They wouldn't go far wrong if they re-bodied the e-pL2 ... add more modern firmware and all that suggests ... maybe tilt the screen. Bob's yer uncle.
    (Not going to happen, we've already seen promo shots of their intended cameras)