Kodak M4/3 camera coming with IBIS

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by JamieW, Jan 28, 2014.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Interesting to note that Kodak was one of the founders of Four Thirds along with Olympus....:smile:

2. boostin

boostin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 21, 2013
    too bad is not the old Kodak, now is just in name only.

3. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    The 12-45mm kit lens is somewhat interesting.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Yeah, it is. F/6.3 is a bit slow on the long end. But 12mm as opposed to 14mm at the wide end is very useful. How many of us would buy this camera if it cost, say, $399 with lens - just out of curiosity?

5. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
  6. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    cant spot any dials or control wheels... looks like theyre targeting a very full consumer-end of the market... interesting strategy??? these guys made sensors for the previous full-frame Leica you'd think they'd find a high-end niche position

7. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The old Kodak made sensors for Leica as well as some of the earliest professional dslr's. These guys (JK Imaging LTD) bought the right to use the name on photo equipment.

Fred

8. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    A January 7 press release from JK Imaging said MSRP single lens kit is $499 and two lens kit is $599.

Fred

9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    True, but we will probably see sales and price reductions off of MSRP fairly quickly.

We really need to wait for reviews on both the body and the lenses before knowing if any of them are worth buying. I actually have higher hopes for the body than the lens, the electronics don't require the same quality control and engineering to be decent that lenses do.

And if marketed right, Kodak could be a new entry point for people into the MFT system. So I'm hoping that various forums don't mock the camera and people who use it too much...

10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    Most likely. They probably have 2 axis, 3 axis and 5 axis IBIS options available

11. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    The more the merrier I say, if it gets more people on board and increases choice its all good. I have seen a lot of brands like Kodaks drop in price quite fast, it may be so that a lot of retailers like having something on their shelves that say RRP 500 our price 350, makes people think they are getting a bargain.

12. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Is it Kodak Alaris or the Kodak (JK ltd) brand? And who has the lens patents? Kodak has a stellar line up of lenses should they decide to leverage that.

...if it was Kodak colors I'd probably buy it. just because I'm a sucker.

13. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    It's JK Imaging LTD

14. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Everything about it looks like a rebadged and tweaked E-PL5 to me. I would not be surprised if they licensed the basic platform from Oly and then added in the WiFi support. Even the lens could be derived off the 14-42. Would be interesting to see how the UI turns out.

15. Tom_Chan

Tom_Chan Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2013