gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I am extremely impressed by the Kodak Cine lenses (for 16mm film): the 63mm/f2.7 and the 102mm/f2.7being my favourites.
I recently managed to find the uncommon Anastigmat 50mm f1.6 that despite being mechanically in a bad shape (very stiff focus and frozen aperture) was worth acquiring.
I managed to open it, clean it and re-lube it: it's now as smooth as the day it was made.
PS 31AUG17: Here is how Rick has refurbished his copy: Kodak Anastigmat 50mm/1.6 rehab
That is how it looks adapted on an Olympus E-P5 (with DIY adapter: C-mount/M43 with Kodak M-mount glued together)

34322874893_974341ae3d_h.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Kodak Cine 50mm f1.6 on E-P5_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

35093795896_df22d71199_b.jpg
Kodak Cine 50mm f1.6 on E-P5_2_c by gnarlydog, on Flickr

First close-up shots reveal that the lens is sharp from wide open with a hint of low contrast that goes away at f2. Bokeh is typical of a vintage Kodak Cine lens where the edges start to swirl/distort since 4/3 sensor has an area larger than the intended image circle of the 16mm film lenses. This one does not vignette much on the edges, unlike the 25mm and the 63mm.
Out of camera, only RAW conversion in ACR, no crop.

35133715695_cef633d25b_h.jpg
Kodak 50mm_test_1 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

Speckled highlights are a delight and the often coveted effect of swirls is visible. This lens reminds me of the Helios-40 on a full frame, just sharper and much lighter and smaller :)

35094388676_80aee5d2ff_h.jpg
Kodak 50mm_test_2 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

More images to come...

Last edited:

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Legend
gnarlydog,

I'm always impressed by your work with the Kodak Cine lenses and have been keeping an eye on eBay hoping to find one, or a movie camera with some mounted.

I need more education about what to look for, mounts, adapters, etc.

--Rick

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
gnarlydog,

I'm always impressed by your work with the Kodak Cine lenses and have been keeping an eye on eBay hoping to find one, or a movie camera with some mounted.

I need more education about what to look for, mounts, adapters, etc.

--Rick
you will probably find easily the Kodak Cine Ektar 25mm f1.9, by itself or attached to a Kodak Magazine 16mm camera (looks like thick book with a crank handle on the side o_O)
That lens works for me for close ups but there is some light vignetting at the edges (can be edited out). Sharp center but edges start to smear rather early.
The 38mm f2.5 does NOT cover the 4/3 sensor: strong vignette (circle framed by black) :(
The 63mm f2.7 (Anastigmat/Ektanon) is one of my favorites: used often for close-ups it just delivers very sharp images with an interesting bokeh, some swirl at the right distances. I find it the distortion too aggressive with subjects past 15 feet
The 102mm f2.7 (Ektanon) is stunning but not easy to find or expensive
I am yet to take some decent photos with my 152mm f4.5: I don't think it gives images much different than other adapted 150mm. In other words, I don't see the Kodak Cine magic in it.

Adapting the Kodak Cine lenses can be done in many different ways.
The 63, 102 and 152 come in S-mount (Kodak proprietary mount) that is adapted to Kodak Cine cameras via a M-mount adapter.
There are also S-mount to C-mount from Kodak but the asking price for the original ones is just stupid (often $100, more than the lens itself!). Luckily there are Chinese copies on eBay for much less :redface:
I have never used a S-mount to C-mount (and then C-mount to Micro 4/3) but prefer to refit a M-mount adapter into a thin C-mount by enlarging the 25mm bore and have a snug fit for the M-mount.
Once the M-mount is inserted into the C-mount, it almost sits flush with the rear and I then I glue the parts with JB-Weld to create a solid adapter.

If you have specific questions about a particular lens shoot me a PM

Last edited:

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Legend
you will probably find easily the Kodak Cine Ektar 25mm f1.9, by itself or attached to a Kodak Magazine 16mm camera (looks like thick book with a crank handle on the side o_O)
That lens works for me for close ups but there is some light vignetting at the edges (can be edited out). Sharp center but edges start to smear rather early.
The 38mm f2.5 does NOT cover the 4/3 sensor: strong vignette (circle framed by black) :(
The 63mm f2.7 (Anastigmat/Ektanon) is one of my favorites: used often for close-ups it just delivers very sharp images with an interesting bokeh, some swirl at the right distances. I find it the distortion too aggressive with subjects past
The 102mm f2.7 (Ektanon) is stunning but not easy to find or expensive
I am yet to take some decent photos with my 152mm f4.5: I don't think it gives images much different than other adapted 150mm. In other words, I don't see the Kodak Cine magic in it.

Adapting the Kodak Cine lenses can be done in many different ways.
The 63, 102 and 152 come in S-mount (Kodak proprietary mount) that is adapted to Kodak Cine cameras via a M-mount adapter.
There are also S-mount to C-mount from Kodak but the asking price for the original ones is just stupid (often $100, more than the lens itself!). Luckily there are Chinese copies on eBay for much less :redface:
I have never used a S-mount to C-mount (and then C-mount to Micro 4/3) but prefer to refit a M-mount adapter into a thin C-mount by enlarging the 25mm bore and have a snug fit for the M-mount.
Once the M-mount is inserted into the C-mount, it almost sits flush with the rear and I then I glue the parts with JB Weld to create a solid adapter.

If you have specific questions about a particular lens shoot me a PM

Thanks! I've copied your post for reference.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
a couple more, mainly close ups since I discovered that the lens has serious field curvature and distant subject display severe swirly effect (which can be used for artistic interpretations)

35042131201_a1c6a51b0c_h.jpg
Kaleidoscopic tunnel by gnarlydog, on Flickr

35234262145_978026e975_h.jpg
spirit dampener by gnarlydog, on Flickr

34423063103_b5ea00e010_h.jpg
camouflage fail #3 by gnarlydog, on Flickr

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
the swirl can be Petzval like if the subject is not all on the same focus plane.
Here fairly close up

34470279803_b17df2858a_h.jpg
autumn winds by gnarlydog, on Flickr

and here straight out of camera with a more distant subject

DVM10255.jpg

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik

haunted scrap heap
more of the Petzval effect today with some birds in enjoying some nectar from the aloe flowers.
The lens creates these swirls when wide open of just about; as I close the iris down the swirl and bubbles diminish
I have to confess that I've always had kind of mixed feelings about the swirly bokehs, and I've been trying to better understand those feelings. I guess maybe for me it has an almost dutch angle kind of energy to it, which makes it not always work (subjectively) in scenes of otherwise sedate landscapes (or sedated-looking models). This, though... this is perfect! The more I look at it, the more I like it. :D

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
I have to confess that I've always had kind of mixed feelings about the swirly bokehs, and I've been trying to better understand those feelings. I guess maybe for me it has an almost dutch angle kind of energy to it, which makes it not always work (subjectively) in scenes of otherwise sedate landscapes (or sedated-looking models). This, though... this is perfect! The more I look at it, the more I like it. :D
Thank you.
I am with you: the right tool for the right job (subject)
I am guilty of what you describe: trying to force at times a concept/style on a subjects that doesn't work or is not suited. :oops:
The swirly effect can be very distracting and to me is conveys a message of action and speed.
Applying that concept on a theme that should evoke a serene sense instead (pastoral landscape for example) is just... wrong. :confused:
Here however I feel that the dynamic structure of the flowers and the fleeting presence of the bird suits the swirly background

haunted scrap heap
I am guilty of what you describe: trying to force at times a concept/style on a subjects that doesn't work or is not suited. :oops:
The swirly effect can be very distracting and to me is conveys a message of action and speed.
Applying that concept on a theme that should evoke a serene sense instead (pastoral landscape for example) is just... wrong. :confused:
Well, "wrong" is a strong word... I suspect it's one of those things that can have different feelings for different people, depending on all the crazy mixed-up associations that form our individual ways of seeing...
Here however I feel that the dynamic structure of the flowers and the fleeting presence of the bird suits the swirly background
...and that intense look on its face! o_O

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Well, "wrong" is a strong word... I suspect it's one of those things that can have different feelings for different people, depending on all the crazy mixed-up associations that form our individual ways of seeing...

...and that intense look on its face! o_O
I agree: the look of the Noisy Miner is very intense, just as I find the eyes of the Stone Curlew sad. It's funny how humans anthropomorphize animals to give them an "expression"

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Legend
Great swirly background! I have one on the way from ebay for a fair price but will need the old grease removed as it's reportedly stuck. I'll heat it up a little with a heat gun and see if it will turn.

Gnarlydog provided some guidance when I rehabbed the 63mm, so I might be asking for more guidance on this one when it arrives.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik

haunted scrap heap
the Kodak Cine was one of 3 lenses that I took on a European safari
A couple of pix
Pretty sure that's the first time I've seen the swirly bokeh/heat haze combination... seems like they were made for each other, I'll have to keep that in mind... :D

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Legend
GX8 w/Kodak Anastigmat 50mm/1.6

36120130723_3922afa1df_h.jpg
Bug by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

36120134523_0fdb7343be_h.jpg
Bubble Bokeh by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

36120136653_8a954bf82b_h.jpg
Leaf by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

36120137763_16fc1c43a7_h.jpg
Leaf abstract Smiley by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

36120139793_ef3fdb39ee_c.jpg
Flower by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

36120141573_ff308152b7_h.jpg
Bee by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

36806383091_aa4527edf5_h.jpg
Bokeh by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Legend
GX8 w/Kodak Cine Anastigmat 50mm/1.6

36549929380_f1d94223ab_c.jpg
Star dog play by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

36549933500_20767e4ea6_c.jpg

36549938730_1de43a4d93_c.jpg
Star dog selfie by Rick McNelly, on Flickr

36549942270_589ce5e961_h.jpg

36549945060_7624149f89_h.jpg

36549948210_f0071477a5_h.jpg

36806412401_60926e3d84_c.jpg

36806418881_8e5bbc6459_h.jpg

36806415531_9b2b155dfb_h.jpg

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Great swirly background! I have one on the way from ebay for a fair price but will need the old grease removed as it's reportedly stuck. I'll heat it up a little with a heat gun and see if it will turn.

Gnarlydog provided some guidance when I rehabbed the 63mm, so I might be asking for more guidance on this one when it arrives.

Looks like you got it unstuck!

Latest threads

Top Bottom