Know your rights

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Lawrence A., Jun 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    I was down on 2nd Street photographing dilapidated, largely unused industrial buidlings when, taking pictures of an old RR property, the security guard came out and told us we could not take pictures. When my partner inquired as to who said so, he was told the "owners" and the "police."

Well, the police get to enforce but not make the laws, and the law is that you can pretty much take any picture you want from a public place. (We were on the public sidewalk) The owner can prevent you from photographing when you are ON their property, but not from outside their property, no matter how damned much they may not like it. The Homeland is not threatened because of the overactive imaginations of paranoids, nor are your rights to photograph limited by people who want to hide behind public security to -- keep the sight of their building secret, I guess, though it's there, falling apart, plain as day on its multi-acre lot for anyone, including Google maps, to ride by and take a picture of without stopping.

Some documents you might want to have handy when someone tells you, 'You can't..."
    Know Your Rights: Photographers | American Civil Liberties Union
    http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

And until I can process the raw files, here's a quick peek from a tweaked jpeg of my subversive activities:

[​IMG]

Obviously the work of a foreign agent.

• Like Like x 12
  2. mowog6000

mowog6000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2012
    Oregon City Oregon
    Pat bailey
    People are so paranoid today (or at least 30%) I stopped on a PUBLIC road a while back and took some pictures of a barn staying on the road and when I got back to my car a woman came out and wanted to know why I was taking pictures of THEM! I told her I was just taking pictures of the barn and didn't care about her at all .

• Like Like x 1
  3. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I don't know if I quite follow the story, did you and your friend leave after the security guard encounter or did you both keep shooting?

4. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    Twenty years ago I stopped and took pictures of this sort of thing with my view camera. (Have a lovely old barn I shot in Vermont). I'd be afraid to put my head under the cloth now, unless I had someone watching out for squads of the freaked out. Sad -- but rather scary too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lawrence A.

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Larry
    No, I left because we were already done shooting. But I'll be back. Just to a make a point of it, armed with documentation of my rights.

I don't usually push the envelope, but this sort of crap really makes me angry.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    They wont be happy 'til they take away all our rights.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm truly sorry to say this because I believe these is an important issue to discuss, but I have to say that Mu-43.com is not the place to discuss it. We have a rule against discussing politics, and as much as I'd like to make an exception for "photographer's rights", this is a discussion which in the past has several times degenerated into frank politics with members talking about governments being fascist, etc. Lots of moderator time and energy was consumed. That's why our TOS specifically says:
    I really do understand that this topic belongs on a photography forum, but we've decided that the volunteer mods here don't want to deal with any politics, even when it's about photography. We are a small group of moderators, each of us with full time jobs, and there are lots of other boards and platforms where our members can discuss politics including photographer's rights. Thanks for understanding.

8. Farcanalman

Farcanalman  

Feb 12, 2012
    What Politics or religion?

I read nothing that was an overt political gesture!

:rolleyes:

Get over it dude, what you have said is just as bad as what the OP experienced!

:rofl:

9. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    No it's not - when you are here you're INSIDE a private forum, where the owner has every right to tell you this discussion isn't gonna happen HERE. I agree with Amin that it's too bad it's come to this, but I also remember some of those discussions that led to his decision and I don't begrudge him this at all. You've essentially been invited into a private club here (as have we all) and you're welcome as long as you follow the rules of the club. You're not on the sidewalk looking in - you're IN and if you don't like the rules, you're free to follow them anyway and stay or you're free to leave.

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Ray has it right. Amin makes the rules, it's his house and he's easy to get along with.

Post #6 was certainly political in nature and it's not the opening of a nuanced civilized discussion. Things deteriorate very quickly when folks are anonymous.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  11. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    The truth is that it is not possible to discuss photographer's rights without getting into a political discussion because photographer's rights ARE a political matter. And I think those interested in photographer's rights would be better off by visiting a forum on civil rights for whatever country/place they are planning to visit.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.