1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Kitting out for a Trek

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by jack.bidwell, Jul 4, 2012.

1. jack.bidwell

jack.bidwell Mu-43 Rookie

Hi All,

I am upgrading from my trusty old EPL2 that took a beating on my recent Euro Trip (and survived). I have chosen the OM-D E-M5 as my new toy and I am looking at kitting it out a bit.

I mainly shoot Landscape and street photography (a mix of landscape, architecture and the odd mix of people shots). I'm pretty good on lenses (due to a nice EPL2 setup) I am just adding the Kit lens and the 12-35 f2.8.

What I am looking for is a new Camera Backpack preferably that can hold a body, 4-5 lenses, filters/batters etc and a tripod. As well as being able to hold a bit like water bottle and maybe a jumper. So a little extra space would be good. (a slip for a small laptop/ipad/ereader would also be handy)

I am looking to pair this with a travel tripod that would essentially fit with the bag. Looking for something that extends to a full size (say 145-150cm) but weight and size aren't too big and bulk so I can hitch it to the backpack and take it on small day treks or trips to the park etc.

As an addition I am looking for a cheapish flasher unit (something like the YN560 Speedlite) and am tossing up whether to get the grip set as well.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

2. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    check out lowepro. Lowepro - Backpacks
    there are several options there. I have used the flipside for both 4/3 and m4/3. they have a helpful guide on their website.
    frank

3. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I use a Lowepro Flipside 400AW for my DSLR and M43 system, it's a bit big for a m43 only system, but they do come in smaller sizes. A nice feature is the built in tripod carrier and rain cover. There's a really large pocket that can hold a tablet or netbook, but it's not padded.

4. jack.bidwell

Thanks guys. I'll check them out. Any suggestions on a decent travel tripod. I've had a look at benro travel angels they seem pretty good.

5. fdifulco

fdifulco Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 28, 2011
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Frank
    sorry, i have not added a travel tripod yet because i spent the $ on a standard tripod for now. will add that to the mix but that item is on my wishlist.
    frank

6. jack.bidwell

Ok,

Think I'll be picking up a Nissin Di622 Flash and the Benro A1691TB0 Travel Tripod. Still deciding on bags but has anyone had experiences with these two?