Kit Zooms - Which to sell, which to keep?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by pdh, Jul 15, 2010.

1. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    It looks like I am going to have to raise some cash to fund a repair to my E-P2 ... I have both the Olympus 14-42mm and Panasonic 14-45mm native lenses (the latter has the metal mount) and I think one of them will have to go ... which would you keep, and why?

2. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I'll probably buck the trend but I like the Olympus. I've always thought it a very underated
    lens. Theres just something about the colour and overall contrast I like better. Particularly on the E-P2. The Panasonic also benefits from some (small) software corrections on Panasonic cameras which you won't get on the Olympus.

Plus when you sell the E-P2 for the E-P3 you can sell it as a kit and get more money!!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    you'll flat out get more money for the panasonic - I also appreciate the compact size of the olympus kit though, and like was said above, would prefer to keep the original kit together!

4. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I actually like the Panny much better. It's the best kit zoom I've ever used in any format, bar none. It will become a classic collectible in a short time....

It has great build and the IQ is really surprising. I had both for a spell and compared them both and sold the Oly.....
    Watch what happens in the next 1/2 year or so with the price of the lens.....

5. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I would keep the Oly Kit lens its quite adequate and compliments the E-P2 nicely it does have charm and suites the P2 better stylewise, and the best combination for resell in the future.

6. I've been utterly disappointed in the -new- Panny kitzoom, the one that came with my G2. Is the old one substantially better? Or am I just not giving it a fair chance?

If the old one is better, and if PDH sells it, I may be interested in buying it.

As an aside, I never really warmed up to my Oly kitlens either, and it went with my E-P2. In retrospect, though, I've been going through my pix in Lightroom and I'm quite impressed with the quality of the images.

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    There are undeniable differences between the new Panny and the OLD Panny lens. This is why I say it will become a collectible.

The old one, ( 1 year, is that old?) is a great lens. Click on the link to my site. There is a Funeral mission from Sichel... That entire shoot was with that lens......

8. ragtop

ragtop Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2010
    Huntington, WV
    I'll also jump on the bandwagon. I much prefer the Panasonic 14-45. To my eye, it just gives better contrast and popping colors with my Silver E-P2. Since I started in the mu43 camp, I've been through the E-P1, Black E-P2, E-PL1, GF1 and finally settled on the Silver E-P2.

Now, on to lenses, Wow, have I bought and sold lots and lots of lens in the 3 months since I've had my 4/3 camera body's. I started with the 14-42 kit, the metal mount one, then sold and when I got the E-PL1, it had the newer 14-42 Oly lens with plastic mount. I actually thought it was a better lens, not build wise, but sharpness and contrast/color I thought was just better. I kept that lens through some of my other purchases. Then I went through a manual focus lens fiasco, buying 4 Voigtlander manual focus lens and a Canon 50mm/1.4 with adapter. I don't have any of those lenses left.

So, here is what I've settled on after a long road of trial and error, of course the silver E-P2 body, but I only have 2 lens, both Panasonic, the 20mm/1.7 and the 14-45mm. I am very satisfied right now with my choices and the focusing speed on the 14-45 is very good, much better than the 14-42 I think. So, if you are looking at what one is best to keep, my opinion is the pany 14-45, but if you are wanting to sell the one with most value and what I think would sell faster, that would be the Panasonic 14-45.

Anyway, just wanted to share my journey so far in m 4/3rd's and good luck on your decision.

Jim

9. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    G1

Get a G1, they include the 14-45mm metal mount lens and can be had cheap. I just got one for $500 shipped. You could sell the new G1 and the 14-42 to recover most of your investment. I have never seen the 14-42, but I am very pleased with my 14-45 except the zoom ring is a little sticky.

Lee

10. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    The Panasonic lens. The Olympus one isn't very happy with filters and lens hoods. It cannot cope with Cokin filters and the front rotates anyway. If it wasn't for that 'feature', I would have said keep the Olympus lens as it is nice an compact and very good IQ, not really affected by flare and has excellent close focus. Shame the filter mount spoils an otherwise great lens.

11. Krang

Krang Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    I would also vote for the panasonic. I absolutely love this lens. The field of view is ideal for everyday mixed use, it also focuses quite close.

The IQ is good for a kit zoom. It does filters and conversion lenses without any hassle. And I find that it needs really little in post processing, compared to some other lenses, meaning that the contrast and the color are spot on with this lens. It's a nice mixture between natural and punchy.

AF is fast enough for normal situations, it's not like you would shoot sports with this lens. Although I use it as my primary outdoor extreme-sports video lens, since it has good stabilization.

I use it with the Panasonic GF1.

Hands down best bang for the bucks in a while! :)