Kit lens or no kit lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by meggie t, Jan 9, 2012.

1. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Hello All,

First time post! I have held out long enough for a DSLR, so much so that I am going to go to a micro 4/3 instead (I currently use a Panasonic FZ35). I have read through many, many posts on this forum - thank you!! Lots of great information. I have decided on a G3 (I think...) and will definitely invest in the 20mm lens. I went to a local store to try out the grips and really liked the feel of the G3. The only other one they had to try was the GF3, which I felt was too small and lacked the viewfinder.

Major uses:
    taking pics of my 20 month old son
    vacation pics

I have taken several photog classes, so I did learn the basics. I try and practice but my iphone takes too many of my pics these days. I also find that my son isn't as cooperative with picture taking, so I definitely need a camera that will capture action shots.

So, should I get the kit lens so I have the option of a little zoom now and then? Of course, saving money would be great but I want to have all the right tools.

Thank you!

Meggie T

• Like Like x 1
  2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    No one can really tell you what you need at this point. Why not take some time taking pictures first with what you have and if you really find yourself wishing for a zoom, then consider it then?

• Like Like x 1
  3. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Dave
    welcome!

for most part, the 20mm will suffice.

add up a 14mm 2.5 pancake for environmental portraits and travel/vacation shots.

:biggrin:

4. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Thank you so much for your replies! I don't have anything yet, hence the question.

Seems like the kit lens isn't too popular. Hmmm...definitely don't have the budget for an additional $300+ lens right now, but it does sound nice eventually!

5. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Doesn't the G3 come with a kit lens? I assume you're asking if you should get the 20mm in addition to the kit lens?

A lot of people rag on kit lenses but in my opinion the latest ones from Panasonic and Olympus are pretty good. They're perfectly fine for outdoor/daytime shoots (so yes, in your case the kit lens is fine for your vacation trips).

Photos of your son are a different matter. You'll want a lot of indoor photos or photos of your baby with a good amount of background blur (shallow depth of field). For that, the 20mm is a good choice. It's probably a little bit wider than what you want honestly (I think the 25mm would be a better choice but that is a lot more $$$)

6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I think the Kit Lens (14-42 OIS) will serve you well if you buy the G3.. Kit lenses are very UNDERRATED by lots of folks.. but they do take awesome sharp pics.. and then you add what you feel you need.. check the VOF that you take with most of your shots on the Kit 14-42 and go from there..
    Doug

7. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    You can buy the standard 14-42mm zoom (not the new compact "X" model) for about $100 used. Check the buy/sell section of this forum, that's where I got mine. :)
    For that price it's definitely worth having.

8. leonberdi

leonberdi Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2011
    Montreal
    I agree... the kit lens is underrated and under-appreciated. I have the Oly 14-42.

Underrated in the sense that it still takes great pics. and under-appreciated in the sense that it offers a lot (from wide to a very short telephoto).

I also have a toddler, and I find that I use the kit zoom a lot (in addition to the 20mm). When do I use it? When I am outdoors with my daughter because a) zooming in/out is a great option for many scenarios, and in the sunlight speed is not really an issue, b) the kit lens is cheap... and I don't really want sand/water/jelly/peanut butter on my 20mm! Seriously, it's nice to have a quality cheap lens that could be easily replaceable if something were to happen to it.

9. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I too am thinking about kit lenses as I try to figure out the best way to buy the GX1.

What are the readers opinions on the:
    Lumix leica 14-50mm f/3.8-5.6 Vario-Elmar Aspherical MEGA O.I.S

This seems to be a lens that covers most situations, and combined with a 20mm would make a great package.

10. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    You are aware that isn't a micro four thirds lens, right?

11. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    All the reviews call it a 4/3 lens, but I noticed some other comments on the 14-150 version needing an adapter so please enlighten me! Its very confusing...

The older 14-45 lens would be preferable to the current 14-42 though right? If you had the choice between the 2?

12. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    Right, it's a 4/3rds lens, which means it need an adapter to work on a micro 4/3rds camera. The 4/3rds 14-150 is the same way. If you want to stick with native micro 4/3rds lenses here's a handy list of them:

Micro Four Thirds system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

13. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Australia
    I got ya, missed the one simple word eh :biggrin: thanks for the list.

14. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Seems to me that most online places are selling the G3 with the 14-42 at the same price as the G3 body only. I think I saw an $80 difference ion the G3 with/without lens back when you could get them via Panasonic Direct.. That $80 does get you a lot a versatility. What is that, two tanks of gasoline? You'll enjoy using the 20mm to take photographs of your son, but it will be handy having the 14-42 for other views.

People have always made faces at kit zooms, but in my opinion the M43 zooms, at least the Oly ones, are nice.

15. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Another vote for the kit zoom, it's much cheaper to buy one with the camera as part of a kit than to buy one separately later - except, perhaps, if you buy secondhand.

16. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I agree 125%.... I think with a lot of people it's a Ego problem using a Kit lens.. . LOL
    Doug

17. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    Thank you all so much!! I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I have decided that it is worth it to me at this juncture to get the kit lens, in addition to the 20mm. I will have lots to learn an I am sure a lot of fun! Looking forward to keeping my eye on this forum.

Now to find the best deal...

Meggie T

18. meggie t

meggie t Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2012
    OK. I have been looking at the classifieds. Not sure if I should post a new topic. Thoughts on buying a used GH1 or used G3? The used G3 seems like a no brainer but the used GH1's are quite a bit less money. Again, I am an amateur and usually shoot in Aperture priority. Have had a few classes but really want to improve my shots. Still will get the 20mm in addition to the camera.

Any help is appreciated!

Meggie T