kit: 17mm or 14-42mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bogolisk, Sep 21, 2011.

1. bogolisk

bogolisk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010

I'm planning on buying an e-p3, however the stores around here don't carry the body only. The choices are the e-p3 kit with the new 14-42mm IIR or the 17mm. I already have the original 14-42mm that came with the e-p1. Is it worth to get the IIR for the new fast AF, or should I take the 17mm instead?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    If you liked using the kit zoom on your last Pen, I would recommend getting the E-P3 with the updated zoom. It is nice to have one lens that is able to focus at 100% speed with the new Oly system.
  3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    I think I'd go with the kit too. The original Oly kit got a lot of grief, but it really was quite a sharp lens. If the new one is just as sharp but focuses very quickly it could be a very useful lens.

I've never been interested in the 17mm because it seems so inferior to the 20mm, which I (and many people) already have. I know it's a little wider, but that's not that important to me (though I acknowledge it may be to others).

The kit lens, on the other hand, really doesn't have any other competition . . . but other kit lenses.
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    the kit zoom to get that crazy speed.
  5. cmk325i

cmk325i Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    I just picked up the ep3 with kit zoom and ordered the 20mm pan . The kit zoom is very fast but doesn't allow u much creativity with the dof