1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

kit: 17mm or 14-42mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bogolisk, Sep 21, 2011.

1. bogolisk

bogolisk Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 30, 2010
    Hi

I'm planning on buying an e-p3, however the stores around here don't carry the body only. The choices are the e-p3 kit with the new 14-42mm IIR or the 17mm. I already have the original 14-42mm that came with the e-p1. Is it worth to get the IIR for the new fast AF, or should I take the 17mm instead?

Thanx

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    If you liked using the kit zoom on your last Pen, I would recommend getting the E-P3 with the updated zoom. It is nice to have one lens that is able to focus at 100% speed with the new Oly system.

3. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I think I'd go with the kit too. The original Oly kit got a lot of grief, but it really was quite a sharp lens. If the new one is just as sharp but focuses very quickly it could be a very useful lens.

I've never been interested in the 17mm because it seems so inferior to the 20mm, which I (and many people) already have. I know it's a little wider, but that's not that important to me (though I acknowledge it may be to others).

The kit lens, on the other hand, really doesn't have any other competition . . . but other kit lenses.

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    the kit zoom to get that crazy speed.

5. cmk325i

cmk325i Mu-43 Regular

Sep 19, 2011
    I just picked up the ep3 with kit zoom and ordered the 20mm pan . The kit zoom is very fast but doesn't allow u much creativity with the dof

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.