1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kirk Tuck's take on Olympus 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by dav1dz, Dec 5, 2013.

1. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
  2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

3. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
    Bought it yesterday, will test it further. So far it's very good for the price.

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Yes, underrated lens. I got one cheap and don't regret it at all.

5. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    that's one thing I've wondered--does that limit the usefulness of its weatherproofing? Seems to me that most of the time when weatherproofing comes into play, it's pretty dark out and you'll need something wide.

6. Pili

Pili Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Boulder, CO
    Alex
    Mine stays glued to 12mm so it's the only reason I still have it. Maybe I have a bad copy but mine fringes and is pretty soft in the corners at 12mm, even at f/5.6. It's going as soon as I can get my hands on the Oly Pro wide. Weatherproofing is good though, which is why I haven't jumped on the 9-18.

7. CPWarner

CPWarner Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2010
    Cliff
    I gave mine to my son and he loves it. It was not as sharp as my Panasonic 12-35, but it is more versatile. My take on it was that if I needed one lens to cover a big range it was definitely a good lens. For the money, it is a great deal, particularly used. My son got a lot of great images with it in the last two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

8. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Heh I did the same thing!

9. Mikros

Mikros Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Australia
    Talking about sons...

Mine has a Panasonic G5 and wasn't happy with the 14-42 kit lens, setting out to get 14-45. I got my 12-50 in late October and shortly after I let him use it for couple of days on our fishing trip.

He took some really nice shots and decided to get one for himself. He reckons the versatility (12mm vs 14mm on wide end does indeed make a difference, nice closeup and weatherproofing) is worth trading for arguably better optical quality of 14-45.

BTW he also "stole" my 20/1.7, it is glued to his camera, he loves it. Although I still have this lens in my sig, it is in fact gone. He's going for couple of months trip to Canada/USA/Europe and I told him he can take 20mil on it. When he returns, I'll give him this lens to keep. But I'm not letting my 12-50 go. I use it way too much.

10. nang3

nang3 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2013
    I do love this lens as well, for the price and weather proofing you cant go wrong.. I really wish it was a bit faster and longer though - 12-100 f/2 would be nice ha!!

11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Maybe this lens produces sharper images with less vignetting on a Panasonic camera? :biggrin:

12. stenlius

stenlius Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2013
    Bulgaria
    If I have a little spare time will test mine on the OM-D and GX1, just for the sake of it. :)