1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kirk Tuck review of Olympus Lens

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fmrvette, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I left which lens out of the title on purpose.

http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2013/12/lens-review-olympus.html

Read the review, check out the photos...and see if you can guess which lens Mr. Tuck is writing about before he spells it out at the end of the article.

(I have one, and am no fan of the lens - but Mr. Tuck's article is a fun read nevertheless).

Edit: Spoiler alert! Further down the thread the secret identity of the lens is revealed, so if you want to play along check out the article before finishing the thread.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I'm sure it's an underrated lens - it's just a pity is so damned slow!

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Paul!

Yep; it's a nice enough lens - I've just never gotten really comfortable with it. The issue is undoubtedly (in my case) with the photographer rather than with the lens. I haven't ever tried the Olympus 12mm (as Mr. Tuck noted it's a bit pricey) but the Panasonic 14mm and/or 20mm lenses "talk" to me in ways this lens doesn't.

It's really fun to see what Mr. Tuck can get the thing to do, tho!

Regards,

Jim

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, I know what you mean Jim. I've played with one in a camera store but it's not a pretty lens and the build doesn't inspire confidence. I think kit zooms are generally only ever 'so-so' in IQ and the 12-50 is no exception. I'm sure it's capable of some great photographs, but it doesn't do it for me either. I'd certainly prefer a few primes if I wasn't into paying for a higher quality zoom like the 12-40 or 12-35.

5. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Meh. I had a copy and sold it. IMO it's just too damn big for m43 . . . longer than my Panasonic 45-150mm! And my copy produced an astonishing amount of CA at 12mm.

I'm glad some people like it, I'm just not one of them.

6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

He summed up my thoughts on this lens pretty well. If you want a 12 mm travel zoom in a convenient weatherproof package you've got this and the 2 really expensive and heavier options... If you don't want to pay the premium and weight penalty, this lens will still do the job.

7. It's the best weatherproof standard zoom lens that I currently own.

• Like Like x 1
  8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Me as well. Like many folks here, I prefer primes. Given that, the 12-50 makes a ton of sense for me. Spending for a 12-35 or 12-40 that would not get used that much doesn't work for me. I don't mind the 12-50 sitting idly by most of the time until I need it though.

9. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    Heh, I have three of them and the one in the review is undoubtedly the least interesting but also the lightest. At 12 mm I think it is pretty good, but at the long end not so much. I will admit this review makes me interested to try it with the E-m1 to see what software magic they may have instituted.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

10. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

• Like Like x 2
  11. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Still wondering how this is going to hold up once the 12-32 really starts hitting the market broken from kits. Yes, it is longer, but will the IQ hold up?

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I actually don't care so much about the 50 mm end; It's the weather sealing and close focus capability that makes me keep it.

13. ArchSaturn

ArchSaturn Mu-43 Rookie

May 23, 2012
    Same here, it sits happily at the bottom of my bag for whenever I need macro, or want to shoot under a waterfall. Just got back from a trip to Utah in which I'm not sure if I used it at all, but I was making a conscientious decision to see if I could be a prime shooter (had the 7.5mm, 14mm, 25mm, and 45mm with me in addition to the 12-50 and 40-150 sitting at the bottom of the bag). I shot primarily with the fisheye and the 45, but that was the nature of the landscape. My last backpacking trip I brought the 12-50, 40-150, 14 and 25, and shot probably 65% with the 12-50.