1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kirk Tuck on Twitter gone?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Henk, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Anyone following Kirk Tuck on twitter noticed he has stopped twittering?
    It looks like he even deleted his twitter account.

2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    He's taking a sabbatical and will be back on the 10th April. Check his blog

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    He probably just blocked you. :cool:

It seems he's blocked me too, as I can't find him either. :redface:

j/k
    http://visualsciencelab.blogspot.ca/2010/11/getting-back-to-basics.html

4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    He was not sabbatical on twitter, only on his blog VSL.

5. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
  6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    ...and cleared out his Flickr account. The account is still there, but the photostream is down to the one portrait of himself used in his buddy icon: Flickr: KirkTuck/photo's Photostream

7. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Probably part of his 'rethinking' his web presence/blog. He will be posting April 10th - always a good read!

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

8. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Here's the explanation...

Kirk's latest on VSL points to a blog from last year, which reflects his 'rethinking'. Here is a quote from that article:

I started posting to Twitter to bring more readers to my blog. But Twitter is so weird and disjointed that in the months and months I've tried to decipher it I still can't see how anyone gets any value from it.

Gotta admire the resolve to 'walk the talk'... :2thumbs:

9. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Kirk Tuck is an interesting guy. He is really old school. Plus he backed Sopa and then deleted the post, he clearly doesn't understand the Internet or the new media.

A while back, he asked for opinions on the 25mm 1.4 on Dpreview, this is sort of thing you can ask on Twitter or Flickr, that's where social media shines.

10. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Kirk Tuck:

I'd like to start with the "explosive new paradigm (fill in the blank) will forever change everything forever." I was around during the dot com boom in the late 1990's and early part of this century. The marketplace was littered with companies that spent tens of millions of dollars trying to prove that shipping dog food all over the world via FedEx was a workable model. I've watched wishful IT directors participate in three "fat server/thin client" revolutions. And then Kodak weighed in with a new APS format film with an automated cartridge. That took the world by storm. I heard that Walmart is experimenting with internet sales and home deliver of groceries, which will be the third wave of grocery stories trying to leverage delivery services as a profitable value add for perishables. The first two were abject failures. (People really do want to pick out their own apples, no matter what they say on surveys...)

Kirk has been a commercial photographer for a long time and has managed to make it through the first decade of the 2000's as a commercial photographer when most didn't. He understands more than some people think he does.

11. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    He said he has a large chunk of his income on books. The reason is because of his Internet presence.

Either he is in denial, because he is doing the exact same thing that Chase Jarvis is doing or he is a massive hypocrite.