Kirk Tuck on Micro Four Thirds and Other Gear

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Compactness was only a small part of my decision to get into Micro Four Thirds with E-M1 II + 12-100mm F4 (actually much bigger and heavier than my C-7070). With so much emphasis on compactness, it's become easy to forget about improving image quality, which was the original intent of the smaller Four Thirds sensor, as Kirk Tuck points out. Maybe Olympus forgot about that too, and maybe that did not help them as people started shifting to full frame. But judging from the latest lens roadmap, maybe Olympus/OM have learned their lesson, going back to the Four Third roots, focusing on improving image quality again. That said, some of the old Four Thirds lenses were probably a bit excessive, like the 7-14mm F4. Yikes.

Real Name
Walter
An interesting piece from Kirk Tuck's Visual Science Lab blog... that starts off with micro four thirds. I think it's worthy of your attention. Enjoy...

https://visualsciencelab.blogspot.com/2021/08/things-people-say-about-cameras-that.html
Thanks. I saw it this morning too. A good read. I remember the old www.four-thirds.org website used to tout telecentricity as a virtue. But I bet most readers didn't understand that. I miss the old site.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Thanks. I saw it this morning too. A good read. I remember the old www.four-thirds.org website used to tout telecentricity as a virtue. But I bet most readers didn't understand that. I miss the old site.
You mean like this?

Nothing on the Internet really ever dies. Except all the bits of the original site that were written in Macromedia Flash. Those are dead. Thankfully.

- K

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I had no idea that 'the angle that light hits the sensor at' is important. Now I've read about 'wells' as opposed to a flat sensor, it makes perfect sense. You learn something new etc etc. I feel enlightened.

(still not sure about buying a Leica and sticking a $125 lens on it though - need to work on my artsyness).

You mean like this?

Nothing on the Internet really ever dies. Except all the bits of the original site that were written in Macromedia Flash. Those are dead. Thankfully.

- K
The 2012 Olympus article contradicts the OP referenced Kirk Tuck article.

Olympus was trying to achieve a more compact form factor from the outset.

Which makes sense as 43 is almost identical to the film 110 format wherein that design zeitgeist was intended for compactness amongst other factors.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
On the tele-centric, there was a Four Thirds Joint Lens Catalog published many years ago (pre-micro days) which had a nice diagram of this concept...

Screen Shot 2021-08-14 at 12.37.43 PM.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

As to compactness the same catalog is fairly specific that they were talking mostly about optical designs and so was more referencing to lenses rather than the bodies although in one single line they do mention the "compact size of both camera and lens" the rest is really about reduced size in optics this tele-centric design helps.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
This makes me wonder how much progress has been made since the Four Thirds alliance was formed in reducing the thickness of sensors, and thus the "depth" of the "wells".

I would expect that 20 years made this at least somewhat less of a concern than it was at that time, but I don't have any actual knowledge to back that conjecture up. Does anyone here know?

- K

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The introduction of better microlenses in front of the sensels helped a lot to fix the problem of oblique angles near the frame edge, but the Oly "tele-centric" approach was a good idea too. Of course, the world has moved on and none of this is really of any interest or relevance to modern kit. I fear that too many of the internet photo "influencers" have stuck the knife in on m43 too many times so that now it's tough to make a case for it to newbies. You need to experience for yourself whether the slightly inferior IQ of the m43 sensor is worth it for the other system benefits. But the "influencers" seem infatuated with FF so the argument is never balanced in their reviews and discussions.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I have a FF kit as well as mu43. Different tools for different jobs. But this is one reason why there are very few reviews that I bother with on YouTube.
Oh, I agree - but the message is never nuanced enough to explain that. FF is just asserted as better.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Telecentricity seems to be a major offender causing large FF lenses, at least at shorter focal lengths. When I saw the original A7 for the first time I couldn't believe how large the 55/1.8 lens was, coming from OM series primes.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Telecentricity seems to be a major offender causing large FF lenses, at least at shorter focal lengths. When I saw the original A7 for the first time I couldn't believe how large the 55/1.8 lens was, coming from OM series primes.
That same catalog that I grabbed the telecentric diagram example above basically said the same thing. That if a FF or APS sized image sensor was used to get telecentric lens designs would be to increase the size of the optics and was why they claimed to have went with the smaller 4/3rds sensor design and a lens mount twice the size of the sensor to allow more freedom in lens design.

Well it certainly sounds convincing in a marketing catalog anyway. :p

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom