1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Kirk Tuck Dumps Mu-43 for NEX-7

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Biro, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Austin, Texas, pro photographer Kirk Tuck, author of the Visual Science Lab blog, has just sold off his :43: kit and purchased a Sony NEX-7. He's not down on :43: but has apparently realized what it was about the format/system that he really liked. And it brought him to the NEX-7. Interesting reading even if your decision wouldn't be the same as his.

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: The strange saga of the Sony Nex 7...

2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Kevistopheles (aka dixeyx) here might agree ... :wink:

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I don't find Kirk's work compelling, and I find the folks at Luminous Landscape far more interesting to read on gear.

Having said that, he's got an interesting point on the power of "pre-chimping" and his lack of desire to return to an OVF.

His work is here: http://500px.com/kirktuck

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I'm starting to notice that Kirk Tuck is a little bit spazzy when it comes to buying and selling equipment. It's a new thing every week. Which is totally fine, but I'm wary of reading anything into it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I guess that spazziness over equipment provides these guys with much new material to blog about.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, he's not quite as spazzy as Steve Huff - and I don't mean to be hurtful by that. Also, to be fair, Kirk specifically says he sold off his 12mp :43: gear - which would mean his Olympus cameras. At one point he also had the GH2 and G3. I don't know if they're gone as well. At least one can see the logic and progression to Kirk's gear purchases. It doesn't seem to be simply the latest and greatest.

7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I agree, though at least he's not "I love everything" like Steve Huff or "lets say something inflammatory" like KR.

8. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    WI
    And this a scant week after he wrote a column basically decrying the constant product churn and obsession with gear (GAS). What the heck?

• Like Like x 2
  9. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Too funny.

10. It is a strange irony that often the people who tell you that gear doesn't matter have an impressive and ever-changing array of gear.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    God yes. I would much rather read Tuck than Huff or Rockwell -- but Huff takes the nicest photos and videos of the bunch. Rockwell's only "redeeming" factor is that he's cataloged a very large array of classic lenses. Thom's the best to read I've found, but he tends to share very little beyond his weekly header images.

12. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    LOL. So very true of Steve Huff.

I mean, he carries a V1 in his lineup...:rofl::tongue:

13. cmpatti

cmpatti Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I disagree. IMO, Tuck is the only real photographer of the three. For what he seems to do (mainly portrait work), I can understand why the NEX-7 would be appealing. Not so much for someone who wants to shoot wide every now and then. I ordered one myself, but cancelled when it started to dawn on me that the camera has no decent wide angle option.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I think I want to make a blog that test and recommends the oldest and cheapest equipment and what prices you should pay. I'd also find obscure and random lenses and see which works best. Kinda like the poor man's Steve Huff or Kirk Tuck. :wink:

• Like Like x 6
  15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    He did say, "I am pointing my finger at myself and every photo blogger out there who consistently reviews all manner of digital cameras..."

To have insight into one's problems doesn't make it easy to address them. If it did, I would be about 60 lbs lighter than I am right now.

The NEX-7 is a very nice camera, and Kirk clearly likes trying out new gear. Nothing wrong with that IMO. If I recall correctly, Kirk likes primarily using a short tele and a normal prime. In our system, it was the O45 and PL25. With Sony, it's 50/1.8 and I'm not sure what. Maybe the Sigma 30?

16. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Yeah... gear is just gear... it takes a true photographer to create great images. Lots of folks chase gear thinking it will make them a better photographer, when it just aint so.

BUT... gear for gear's sake is a lot of fun; more fun for some folks to talk about than to use to create images! :eek:

Chatting about, then buying, then chatting about, and then selling alone obsesses enough people to keep the photography economy on it's feet! Never mind working hard to try to learn how to create great images. :rofl:

17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I don't even know what these bloggers claim to fame is and I don't care (my ignorance of who they are!)... I just don't follow them and don't really care. However, I think the NEX7 is an awesome camera. m4/3 sorely lacks a similarly designed camera body. Whenever Pany or Oly provide a NEX7-design of camera body... I think they'll strike gold in the fold. What we do have, now, are lenses!

If it weren't for the huge disparity of lens choices between the two formats, I'd probably be shooting NEX7 myself. The awesome lens selection we have keeps me in the fold. In a year or so, the playing field may be significantly different if Sony and Canon really amp up their mirrorless systems.

18. lstzephyr

lstzephyr Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2011

I think that is an excellent idea

19. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have been summoned...:eek:

I have to say that I understand what he's talking about. The UI on the NEX is weird, the menus convoluted and when you first pick it has an odd alien quality to it. But the images are really seductive. It's head and shoulders better than my GH2 and GX1 and I'm just using the bottom of the line NEX-C3. It's a real pleasure to use in MF. If you've never tried focus peaking it's a real revelation when you do. It's not flashy but when you use it's actually very easy and remarkably fun. Then one day you wake up and realize your grabbing for it first. Next thing you know you're ordering a Sigma 30/2.8 (mine arrives this week). I still maintain my m43 stuff (maybe for the community here more than anything else) and I don't have any real complaints about my GX1 and lenses but I totally get why someone might choose to make that kind of switch.

• Like Like x 1
  20. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I see the NEX7 as being a camera that I would give a real look at if I were considering an M8. Adapt some M lenses, great IQ, a terrific VF (albeit a very different beast than a true RF) and half the price. I just picked up a Sigma 30/2.8 for mine. I'll report back what it's like.