1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kirk Tuck Column on the EP-5

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Fmrvette, Jul 16, 2013.

1. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I'd like to see his opinion. I thought I would wait for OM-D prices to drop, but I may have to go a bit longer and wait for the E-P5. I really like my E-P3, don't care about an evf, but I want the sensor and 5 axis ibis. :cool:

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I like the way he writes.

4. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Maria
    Good fair review.

I wish they would put out a firmware update to include the following in the OMD EM5

ISO 100
    1/8000
    Keep focus point small.

I'd be happy with just those three things.

5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Interesting comment in the first paragraph: "I'm also reticent to review Olympus cameras these days because the hard core fans can get downright nasty when they disagree with reviewers."
    Couple this with the comment in a video by Trey Ratcliff a week or so ago that implied (or stated) that he feels like :43: users are cult-like and it appears there is at least an impression, if not a reality that Olympus/Mu43 fanb0ys are more aggressive than average.

I sort of dismissed that whole "Why are Mu-43 users insecure" thread from a few days back, but perhaps there is more than a bit of truth to that. Who are these people who would flame a reviewer for publishing a less than glowing review?

sent with my phone...please excuse the typos

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Personally,
    I think you, Kirk, & Trey are spot on in every sense...(and I may receive a few blow backs for stating this).

7. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I couldn't read much of this. Glad he likes the camera, too bad he can't imagine anyone unlike himself.

The "if I owned a camera shop, I wouldn't even let people buy this without the EVF," the "dirty diaper" comment, the strawman shot at HDR (as if all HDR is of the extreme sort), and the complete dismissal of iPhone photography and any use for Wi-Fi turned me off.

8. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Just curious. Why would it bother you, that he has a different set of likes and dislikes, than yourself. Give a bale of hay, to a cow, and she will eat what she likes, and then make a bed of the rest. Nothing lost or wasted. :smile:

That being said, I don't care for his scathing attitude, and will just not "go there". No bother. :biggrin:

9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I'm not aware of Olympus ever adding features in firmware releases. Aside from very, very few major hardware updates, Olympus sells new cameras based on new features. If Olympus stretched out model updates to Fuji periods, then they might introduce new features in firmware like Fuji.

10. What came first; opinionated blogs or opinionated responses to blog posts?

11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Chicken vs. egg.

12. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    Different preference doesn't bother me at all, in fact I like reading contrarian opinion.

But there is a difference between saying, "The EVF is an absolute must" and saying, "No real photographer would buy without the EVF and I wouldn't even sell the camera to someone that doesn't want the EVF." It's like he's going out of his way to be obnoxious about it.

Which if course he's free to do. I'm just not interested in reading.

13. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I think there is a difference between what one likes and forcing that onto someone else, or at the very least, not understanding or comprehending that there are those who don't work in the manner he does.

I've liked some of the stuff Kirk has written in the past, but some of his injections are quite tasteless, IMHO.

14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    No you don't . . .

:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

15. MarkRyan

May 3, 2013
    California
    You're a funny guy.

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I don't go to his blog since it started to require more and more clicks to get to the bit I want to read : that's too ... 'graspy' for me, almost as if clicks are counted and used in some kind of advertising/rating ... oh wait ...

17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    But he's correct - you said first:

Then second you said:

18. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I have never noticed this kind of hard-core attitude about :43:. But, on the other hand, I talk about :43: on this site and Serious Compacts, both owned and run by Amin Sabet. Those kinds of people aren't generally drawn to Amin's sites, which tend to be quite genial in tone.

19. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah, I can't say that I've experienced it myself, either, but I guess I too tend to avoid the sorts of places where it is most likely to occur.

The fact that a similar sentiment has come up from two disparate sources in the matter of a couple of weeks (here's the link to the Trey Ratcliff comments) is what really takes me think there might be more to it.