1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Kirk Tuck calls G6 his "Favorite Camera of the Year"

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by GFFPhoto, Dec 16, 2013.

1. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  2. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    "But it's not just the G6....it's the G6 paired with the Leica 25mm Summilux that makes it all work."

3. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    It is really hard to argue his points. He doesn't say the G6 is the best camera of the year...but that it is his favorite camera of the year. I am absolutely enamored by my Oly E-M1, but I really, really like my G6, and will continue to use it a great deal.

• Like Like x 1
  4. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I have to agree with GFF when it comes to ergos. Panasonic's cameras aren't perfect (what is?) but they show that the designers got input from actual photographers, and thought about usability during the design phase, in a way that few other photo companies seem to bother with any more. Oly seems (with the exception of the EM1) so focused on size that ergos suffer as a consequence, and their menu designers seem to be trying to impress themselves with how much they can cram in, rather than how usable they are. I used to really like Nikon's approach, but lately they seem to think the more buttons, dials and switches they can add the better, and there are so many differences between bodies you have to rethink things every time you pick up a different one.

Canon has been fairly consistent, and if you like the push a button & twirl a dial while watching an LCD approach it works well, at least on the bodies with the rear dial. I tend to prefer mechanical controls for the most frequently accessed functions (e.g., the GH2/GH3).

I don't have any real experience with Sony's, except the one NEX I tried a couple of years ago had a menu system that made Oly's seem a model of clarity.

Panasonic may be primarily a maker of TVs and shavers, but they seem to understand the importance of getting user input.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pixl10

pixl10 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Phoenix AZ
    I got this camera and so far loving it. So light and easy to use. Just can't seem to figure out the wifi. This is my first camera with Wifi. Great video!!

6. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Nearly everything he loves about the G6 also applies to the G5 at over $200 less. Especially the control layout and the seamlessness of the LCD-EVF proximity sensor switching - which I never realized how good it is until I tried other cameras that DON'T do it nearly as well (or even at all).

The reason I got the G5 is that many of the G6's improvements are either video related, or LCD related, and I don't care too much about either of those. That being said, I am eagerly awaiting a G7 that adds the newer better sensor, and IBIS, to the G6.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really think Panasonic is underrated when it comes photography. They really don't credit for spearheading mirrorless. Their glass is top notch and constantly getting better and lately they seem to be really listening to their end users. My only complaint is they seem to make new batteries for every freaking camera! Seriously, there are like a million variations!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    +1. I really like Panasonic's cameras, lenses and ergonomics. But you are so right about the battery situation. It borders on the absurd.

9. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Mostly true, but the G5 and G6 take the same battery - and the same was true for the GX1 and G3....and there may be others. I'm familiar with these 4 since I own them.

10. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    G5, G6, G7..... whatever happened to the G4? :rolleyes:

11. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    If I was a maker of shavers, I would want to be sure I listen to user input!! :biggrin:

12. dermaus

dermaus Mu-43 Regular

Nov 28, 2012
    Seattle
    Jeff
    I read that the number 4 is considered unlucky in East Asian countries. Perhaps that's why there was no G4. Or Oly E-P4 or E-PL4.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    4 is an unlucky number in many Asian cultures, because it is pronounced the same as the word for death. That's why Olympus and Panasonic both jumped from gen. 3 to gen. 5 across their product lines.

• Like Like x 1
  14. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I believe the GX7 will accept the same batteries as recent GF bodies. So maybe they're starting to get the message.

15. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    These are exceptions that prove the rule. :smile:

16. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    If I didn't already have a GH3 I definitely would have the G6.

17. BigTom

BigTom Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2011
    Cornwall
    I just upgraded my GH2 to an E-M5 with 12-50, but then forced my girlfriend to buy a G6 + 14-140 mkII in the recent Amazon flash sale (£369 after cashback!). Should arrive tomorrow, looking forward to having a play with both camera and lens.

18. T N Args

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Wowee, I paid more than that just for the 14-140! But amazon won't ship hardware to me anyway.....

19. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride New to Mu-43

Dec 12, 2013
    Acworth, Ga
    Wifi setup

This article helped me with the wifi setup on a Samsung Galaxy S2:
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Panasonic_Lumix_DMC_G6/

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'll pick up G6 when they get cleared out like the G5!