1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kipon tilt adapter for greater depth of field

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by JoeyC, Aug 31, 2012.

1. JoeyC

JoeyC Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    SE Pennsylvania
    I use a Canon 90mm TS-E lens (on my 5DII) for greater depth of field in product shots. I am wondering if the build and usability of the Kipon would allow me to adapt my Nikon micros and achieve a similar result. Any thoughts?

I'm considering dropping some of my Canon gear and picking up an OM-D to replace, I mean compliment, my EPL-1.

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome to the site. Perhaps if you post a link to the Kipon adapter. I suspect the price is low enough to make it worth a try. You could also consider an adapter to use the Canon TS on your E-PL1. They make adapters with a built in aperture so the you can use AF lenses without needing electrical contacts. You set the lens to maximum aperture and then use the adapter to adjust from there.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
  4. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    It won't quite work like a TS or PC lens will, there is only tilt. Plus you'll need a wider f-stop to achieve the same result that micro lenses may not allow for you want. Your best option is to rig up a T mount, or Nikon mount bellows and cut off the rail supports the hold the lens straight.

Or if you don't mind some real DIY, find an old pocket folder and adapt both ends, one for the camera and one for the lens so you can use geared movements... Just throwing it out there.

5. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL
    True, but DOF control generally relies only on the tilt functions. Shift is generally only used for perspective control though it is sometimes used in conjunction with tilt to address coverage issues. Check out the Scheimpflug Principle.

6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Lol I know all that. However without the shift, it's harder to control where the field of focus falls while maintaining the perspective you choose as it will only tilt around one point in the vertical axis.

7. JoeyC

JoeyC Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    SE Pennsylvania
    The member below your post linked to the adapter. It can be had for a little less on eBay, but at $130 it is still a little more than I'd like to 'try'. I'd need to know it was precise enough to use for my purposes. I didn't consider the aperture controlled EOS adapter. Thanks for the recommendation.

8. JoeyC

JoeyC Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    SE Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, most people want to use tilt or shift adapter for creative depth of field or the miniature look. Whereas I wanted it for the added depth of field. I suspect it could work OK for my needs with 8 degrees of tilt.

9. JoeyC

JoeyC Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    SE Pennsylvania
    Yes, I typically only use the tilt function on my EOS 90mm TS-E. I agree that a DIY solution may lead to the best rest, but I don't have the time to tinker and if it was to get that involved, I might as well stick with the Canon.

10. JoeyC

JoeyC Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    SE Pennsylvania
    My typical shooting is directly head-on (item is perpendicular to the line of sight). I can get away without having to use the shift since it is mainly small pieces of jewelry.

11. Inkanyezi

Inkanyezi New to Mu-43

Jan 13, 2013
    tilt for extended DOF

I realise it might be a bit late to answer this one, but I have use tilting for exactly that purpose for some time, which may be seen in a few threads on a Swedish forum where I am active. I use an Ukranian adapter bought from Peleng8.com and my most used lenses for it are Tamron SP 17 mm 3.5 and Pentacon 29 mm 2.8. My purpose for getting the adapter was just that. The specific task I envisaged was to document weeds in the urban environment, in cracks between stones in the curb and such places.

http://uploads.ifokus.se/uploads/3b4/3b49e4eba5643722e8b8416c787da9d6/scheimpflugprincipen-sv-02.jpg

http://uploads.ifokus.se/uploads/dd7/dd78aa77089e69d264f044e0a29b268f/parkvag.jpg

What I think it most difficult is to find a really suitable lens, as those wide angle lenses for miniature SLR cameras all have some defects that are accentuated by tilting on such a small sensor size as the ยต4/3. Another thing is that the tilt adapter did not fit the OM-D directly, but I had to alter it in order not to collide with the "upper lip" of the camera, and it is not very easy to mount onto the camera. I am thinking of making some kind of lever on it to facilitate mounting. On the Panasonic there were no problems with the adapter, it's only the OM-D E-M5 that forces some alterations, as it has a very narrow gap between the lens mount and the protrusion above. There is no way the Hartbley Arsat lens could be mounted on the OM-D.

http://uploads.ifokus.se/uploads/b36/b360414d19a03bf906618a068844ff2c/magnetschack.jpg

http://uploads.ifokus.se/uploads/486/486efae1eabe2ecedec01dab183f3a6e/dosett-02.jpg

I am still learning how to use this wonderful toy, and I see that there are issues with the lenses that makes it less than perfect, but so far it has worked rather well. The biggest problem seems to be chromatic aberration, which can only be alleviated a slight bit. I guess that's because the lens is not really intended for this usage, and its designation is for a larger format, where sharpness is less critical.