Kipon shift adapter first (and last) experience

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by addieleman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    In another thread I'm talking about my desire to get a shift lens, preferably for my GH2. One ingredient therefore is a shift adapter and the Kipon shift adapter for Nikon F mount lenses on MFT cameras arrived this evening.

Tried it out immediately and found a number of issues, serious and less serious.
    • The MFT mount doesn't fit too snugly, causing wiggle with slight defocus
    • The Nikon F mount is spring-loaded but the springs are too weak, again causing wiggle and defocus.
    • My Nikkor 50/1.8 AI and 50/2 AI didn't fit because some parts extending below the bayonet interfered with the adapter. Only the Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 fits.
    • The shift action had some play along the axis of the setting screw.
    • The setting screw interfered with the protruding "prism" hump as well as with the grip of the GH2. Only extreme shift downward and to the left min. 7mm (which is a lot).
    • Didn't bother to check infinity focus as my fast lenses wouldn't fit.
    • After handling it this short time I already could feel the shift loosening up.
    • By measuring from pictures of the Voigtländer Heliar 15/4.5 in Nikon F mount it looks like the adapter can only shift to a maximum of about 3mm. The adapter cannot really be blamed for this, but it's a meagre amount of shift.
    I was planning to buy a Zeiss 18/3.5 in Nikon F mount to go with it, but I don't think it'll fit, it also has protruding parts at the rear that extend beyond the bayonet.

Overall, I'm quite disappointed. I already contacted the supplier to have it returned. So my MFT shift dream has been shattered :sad010:. Also, this Kipon doesn't leave a much better impression with me than the average cheapo adapter, it's a far cry from the quality of my Novoflex.

The adapter
    i-sxQBjq4-XL.

The adapter at maximum shift. The shiny part on the rim inside is due to damage caused by trying to mount the Nikkor 50/1.8.
    i-ZvvwcF8-XL.

Seen from the MFT mount side. Visible here is the fabric between the moving parts.
    i-NXpSbVT-XL.

Shift setting screw interfering with the GH2's hump...
    i-4bmd4TZ-XL.

...and interfering with the grip.
    i-Fhs79Q6-XL.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sad that it isn't well thought out and poorly made. That is a big problem with a lot of the made in China stuff.

3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi Ad,

I had almost forgotten about the Fotodiox Pro adapters. I bought 2 some time ago, not because of the shift they allow but because of the inbuilt tripod socket.

However, they showed up not allowing for infinity focusing reliably. So I made little or no use of them.

However, mechanically, they seem solidly built. The Nikon mount grips the lenses firmly, and the shift adjustment over 2 cm seems solid also. The mount on the GH2 is firm as well.

I just mounted my Nikkor-UD 20mm on one of them, and it seems OK
    Shift adapters are +/- useless without a wide-angle lens made for full frame !

Maybe this can be of help to you ?

C U
    Rafael

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Thanks Rafael for responding. I have such a Fotodiox shift adapter and I summed up my opinion in this post. In short: not really useable. I feel I have now exhausted all possible options to get a wide-angle shift lens for MFT and there are no real good quality solutions available. I'm hoping for a native shift lens, against better judgement that is. Hopefully Novoflex will come up with a shift adapter, but that is not very likely as well, given the very small market for such a product.

5. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    As stated, Ad, I'm also not a fan of the Fotodiox Pro adapters, but, for close-up, they do the job in my setups.

:biggrin::biggrin:I'm sorry, you are left with only one remaining solution !:eek::eek:

sized_20100602_22.

Tilts and shifts as you require, micro4/3 adaptable !
    And, yes, I do use it in the field !!!!

Have fun,
    Rafael​

• Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Nice. Ehmm...how about a 14mm focal length in this setup? :biggrin:

7. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Stitching, Ad, stitch until death does follow !

C U,
    Rafael

• Like Like x 1
  8. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    Rafael, I'm interested in a similar setup. How do you attach your Micro Four Thirds camera to the view camera? I see that Fotodiox has 4x5 adapters for other backs. Do you adapt one of those adapters to Micro Four Thirds, or do you use a different kind of adapter? Yours looks different from the Fotodiox adapters.

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I built my own 3d-printed tilt/shift adapter, but it wasn't particularly confidence-inspiring or very user friendly. Mainly the results were just really disappointing. I didn't want to spend much money on an ultrawide FF lens, and even the widest FF lenses are not particularly wide on M4/3, so I only had a 20mm lens to test with. Not great for urban architecture.

My conclusion was that there is no adapted shift lens option that can provide superior resolution to M4/3's sharp lenses even after post-processing perspective correction. Basically, it's not worth it, so I stopped trying.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1