Kipon shift adapter first (and last) experience

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by addieleman, Mar 6, 2012.

1. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    In another thread I'm talking about my desire to get a shift lens, preferably for my GH2. One ingredient therefore is a shift adapter and the Kipon shift adapter for Nikon F mount lenses on MFT cameras arrived this evening.

Tried it out immediately and found a number of issues, serious and less serious.
    • The MFT mount doesn't fit too snugly, causing wiggle with slight defocus
    • The Nikon F mount is spring-loaded but the springs are too weak, again causing wiggle and defocus.
    • My Nikkor 50/1.8 AI and 50/2 AI didn't fit because some parts extending below the bayonet interfered with the adapter. Only the Micro-Nikkor 55/3.5 fits.
    • The shift action had some play along the axis of the setting screw.
    • The setting screw interfered with the protruding "prism" hump as well as with the grip of the GH2. Only extreme shift downward and to the left min. 7mm (which is a lot).
    • Didn't bother to check infinity focus as my fast lenses wouldn't fit.
    • After handling it this short time I already could feel the shift loosening up.
    • By measuring from pictures of the Voigtländer Heliar 15/4.5 in Nikon F mount it looks like the adapter can only shift to a maximum of about 3mm. The adapter cannot really be blamed for this, but it's a meagre amount of shift.
    I was planning to buy a Zeiss 18/3.5 in Nikon F mount to go with it, but I don't think it'll fit, it also has protruding parts at the rear that extend beyond the bayonet.

Overall, I'm quite disappointed. I already contacted the supplier to have it returned. So my MFT shift dream has been shattered :sad010:. Also, this Kipon doesn't leave a much better impression with me than the average cheapo adapter, it's a far cry from the quality of my Novoflex.

The adapter

The adapter at maximum shift. The shiny part on the rim inside is due to damage caused by trying to mount the Nikkor 50/1.8.

Seen from the MFT mount side. Visible here is the fabric between the moving parts.

Shift setting screw interfering with the GH2's hump...

...and interfering with the grip.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sad that it isn't well thought out and poorly made. That is a big problem with a lot of the made in China stuff.
  3. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Hi Ad,

I had almost forgotten about the Fotodiox Pro adapters. I bought 2 some time ago, not because of the shift they allow but because of the inbuilt tripod socket.

However, they showed up not allowing for infinity focusing reliably. So I made little or no use of them.

However, mechanically, they seem solidly built. The Nikon mount grips the lenses firmly, and the shift adjustment over 2 cm seems solid also. The mount on the GH2 is firm as well.

I just mounted my Nikkor-UD 20mm on one of them, and it seems OK
    Shift adapters are +/- useless without a wide-angle lens made for full frame !

Maybe this can be of help to you ?

C U
  4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Rafael for responding. I have such a Fotodiox shift adapter and I summed up my opinion in this post. In short: not really useable. I feel I have now exhausted all possible options to get a wide-angle shift lens for MFT and there are no real good quality solutions available. I'm hoping for a native shift lens, against better judgement that is. Hopefully Novoflex will come up with a shift adapter, but that is not very likely as well, given the very small market for such a product.
  5. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    As stated, Ad, I'm also not a fan of the Fotodiox Pro adapters, but, for close-up, they do the job in my setups.

:biggrin::biggrin:I'm sorry, you are left with only one remaining solution !:eek::eek:

Tilts and shifts as you require, micro4/3 adaptable !
    And, yes, I do use it in the field !!!!

Have fun,
    • Like Like x 1
  6. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Nice. about a 14mm focal length in this setup? :biggrin:
  7. f6cvalkyrie

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Stitching, Ad, stitch until death does follow !

C U,
    • Like Like x 1
  8. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Rafael, I'm interested in a similar setup. How do you attach your Micro Four Thirds camera to the view camera? I see that Fotodiox has 4x5 adapters for other backs. Do you adapt one of those adapters to Micro Four Thirds, or do you use a different kind of adapter? Yours looks different from the Fotodiox adapters.
  9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I built my own 3d-printed tilt/shift adapter, but it wasn't particularly confidence-inspiring or very user friendly. Mainly the results were just really disappointing. I didn't want to spend much money on an ultrawide FF lens, and even the widest FF lenses are not particularly wide on M4/3, so I only had a 20mm lens to test with. Not great for urban architecture.

My conclusion was that there is no adapted shift lens option that can provide superior resolution to M4/3's sharp lenses even after post-processing perspective correction. Basically, it's not worth it, so I stopped trying.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1