Kipon Canon to m43 adapter with Auto Focus support

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by gryphon1911, Apr 20, 2015.

1. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Could be interesting if it works well, been waiting for this technology to come along. While first generation may not be the best I can see this getting improved. I see in the future where you can adapt any lens to any system with full capability, given there is a way to get the right distance to sensor.

The only problem I see is that this will be like using 4/3 glass on anything but the EM1, a CDAF camera trying to focus a PDAF lens. Now on the EM1 this may just work a bit better. My main concern is if they develop this to the performance of using 4/3 glass on the EM1 my pocket book could take a serious hit.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I just don't know why you'd bother. By the time you factor in the thickness and cost of the adapter, you might as well just buy a nice used Canon camera to use for EF lenses. I can't think of many advantages to using an m4/3 camera with EF lenses.
  4. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    1. It would still be lighter, regardless of by how much it is still lighter and when packing into some remote place every once counts.

2. To go along with the above......when packing in I only need to take one body if I need to drop weight or if I take two they are identical cameras, which picks up below.

3. Familiar with the controls.........if you always use the same camera you get to the point where you don't have to think to make a change. I already never use my EM5 anymore because I have to think to make a change (other then aperture and such on the wheels). Doing action stuff you can't afford to pause and think, you will miss stuff.

4. The biggest reason, that 400mm ƒ2.8 becomes an 800mm ƒ2.8, but has more DOF then a 800mm lens on a full frame camera. When shooting those distances DOF is small and any increase is much appreciated. Well that is how I feel and I am sure a lot of other wildlife photographers feel the same at times.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  5. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    Seems easy to think of situations:
    • You have a Canon and lenses, but want to try m4/3.
    • You have m4/3 but have been lusting for that one Canon lens.
    • You are already invested in both systems and want to use your Canon lenses with full autofocus on your m4/3.
    • While you'd prefer to have the m4/3 lens, there's a significantly cheaper Canon lens that optically is nearly as good.
    It's probably not an ideal fix for most of us. However, I can see perfectly well why people might do it. After all, there are plenty of people who use 4/3 lenses on m4/3, even though they are typically larger and slower to autofocus. Usually it's because of one of the above reasons.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    And in some cases optically superior to anything in m4/3 or there is nothing like it available in m4/3. Depending on the lens and body they are maybe only slightly slower then m4/3 lenses.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sorry, still not seeing it. It's definitely not for me (and I shot Canon up until recently). However, there must be a perceived market or they wouldn't be making it. I'll try to not to be too curmudgeonly about it. :)

I do know for a fact that you need phase AF with Canon lenses though. They can't even make their own lenses focus faster than a sleepy snail using Contrast AF. I mean it was sometimes 5+ seconds to get it to focus a regular old USM lens using liveview. I wouldn't even think about it unless you had a E-M1.

The crop factor would make wide lenses less attractive. I could see using something like a 100-400L or 150-600, though. Then you'd get the benefit of the crop factor for super reach. Canon 135 f2 and 200mm f2.8 could be interesting and are fairly compact for what they are.

The major sticking point is that the adapter is likely to be $300+ like the Sony version.
  8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Close, $285.........I feel the $300 price range is well worth it. The MMF-3 is $180, so an extra $100 to use a lens by a different company (and developed by an even different company) is not bad.

Oh, I would not want this to use anything whole point is to take advantage of the crop factor.
  9. VooDoo64

VooDoo64 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    Zagreb - Croatia
    Davor Vojvoda
    just one question arises whether it will be AF speed as well as E-M1 + 4/3 lenses - If the answer is yes then this opens the door to a new dimension :)

70-200 L f/4 i super sharp on FF, is spectacular sharp on APSC and i could just imagine how sharp is than on 2xcrop body :) and it's very cheap and you can use it with 1.4 TC and get super sharp 280mm f/5.6 or sharp 400mm f/8
    400 f/5.6 L - very good iq also cheap
    200 f/2.8 with tc

but I think the most benfit would get users with Canon equipment who want to try m43 world ( small and portable with Primes and normal with Canon L glass - 70-200 is lighter and smaller than 50-200 )
  10. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    The big market here is video, guys. This is probably being optimized on a gh4.

I'd love to exploit it for my own purposes, similar to Phocal's.
  11. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The big question is if they can get IBIS working on Olympus cameras, something which to date Metabones has had no success at... crappy autofocus doesn't even enter the picture.
  12. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Makes sense for fun, for filling gaps in m4/3 lens offerings and for saving cost when possible.

I like using legacy lenses, but it doesn't always make sense.
  13. Peejay

Peejay Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Paris, France
    Excellent timing on Kipon's part, it might just help to dampen Olympus' eagerness with regards to the 300 f2.8 pricing !
  14. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Very interesting. My primary reason for having m4/3 is that my Canon FD 400mm lens is an 800mm image-stabilized lens. It is, however, manual focus of course. I also own Canon's 100-400mm AF lens and would love to see that autofocus on my m4/3 bodies. Add my 1.4X teleconvertor and I have a 1120mm lens. It will be interesting to see if that combo can AF on m4/3 bodies as it can not on many Canon bodies (except in live view mode).
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it would autofocus my EF 400mm f5.6L USM with any reasonable speed and confidence. I haven't seen an adapter yet that will though, including Metabones. The lens is an old design dating back to the early 90's and it's relatively slow at f5.6. It's got excellent optics and blazingly fast autofocus (on a native body), but adapter manufacturers aren't concerned about compatibility with such an old design. I'm interested, but I'm not holding out a lot of hope.
  16. seattlebruin

seattlebruin Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 22, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    For me, I have an E-M5 that I use as a second super lightweight camera, but don't want to take the plunge and fully invest in two systems. For $300 this could theoretically use stuff like my super telephotos and stable of primes on yet another body, this time small with IBIS and a further crop factor. Hoping it works great

17. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    OK, it' May 11th and I haven't seen this adapter for sale anywhere in the US.
    Anybody know where this can be purchased?
  18. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
  19. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
  20. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I have a hard time with that video. I really want this to be true but I am not buying it. The lens is a PDAF lens and the camera is CDAF, would expect the focus to be more like using my 50-200 SWD on my EM5. But, hopefully we see some real test by reputable photographers coming soon.