1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kipon Canon EF to m43 af adapter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Serhan, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    http://translate.googleusercontent....7.html&usg=ALkJrhgrVxYsMVXgnJNbSWCJEGxGNPgyCg

Focus workshop will release the KIPON mount adapter "KIPON EF-MFT AF" in mid-May Western and in Japan. Selling price in the country's undecided, but the selling price of overseas $ 285.

It was equipped with a Canon EF lens in Micro Four Thirds camera, action and of AF and camera shake correction, corresponding to the transmission of the Exif information adapter. EF-S lens can also be used.

Mount adapter corresponding to the electronic control of the EF lens has been released is for Sony E mount, but for Micro Four Thirds is KIPON is the world's first.

2. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Wow. Af would be dope. Better start saving for a Canon L supertele lens...

3. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Well that is very interesting indeed. Not that I have any Canon EOS lenses, mind you. But a "native" Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 on M4/3 would be a uniquely appealing proposition to a lot of people, I bet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Even something like the new Sigma 150-600 would all of a sudden be very, very special on M4/3 if it had acceptable AF.

• Like Like x 1
  5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Do EF lenses work with CDAF or PDAF?

Barry

6. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I wonder if this really means it will have AF, or it's just a sketchy translation, and a misleading product name? It seems more likely that it's a knock off of the metabones smart adapter, which does everything but AF. If it gives functional AF, it will be a huge deal!

7. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    Given that there is "AF" written on the adapter itself, I think it probably actually includes AF. Functional may be a question mark, though...

01_s.

Pretty sure all DSLR lenses are entirely PDAF and are designed for such, though I think the Canon's new STM lenses may finally have motors that are suitable for video (and CDAF, as a result).

8. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    From my Sony metabones ef af adapter experience, af is cdaf and pdaf doesn't work, so the af is slow eg similar to using 43 lenses on m43 with af adapter, eg back and forth af corrections... Also it depends on the lenses eg Canon 70-300mm is my fastest but not fast for anything moves. There are more problems with third party lenses like Sigma since Sigma reverse-engineer its Canon af procedures. I don't know if the adapter can use EM1 pdaf...

9. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

There are videos on Youtube showing this adapter in action. The AF is more than acceptable I think...

10. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    watch that video again.........they are using a cherry picked lens, all focus points and very seldom does the lens actually shift it's focus point.............I am so hoping this is the first step in perfecting this technology but not holding my breath.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The lens in that video has an STM AF motor, which works much better with CDAF than what's in the vast majority of EF lenses. Still, it's something.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    In one of the videos, it shows a GX7 being used with a 70-200 f/4L. That lens is USM (not stm) and still looked to perform very well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    NYC
    Kipon emailed sb at eoshd saying that the m43 version is faster then the previously released Sony - Canon adapter. Hopefully we'll see more reviews on m43-EF adapter....

14. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    This one:

That looks good. Surprisingly good. But I'm at a loss as to how they could do it considering the fundamental differences between PDAF and CDAF in relation to USM. I'm going to want to wait for external testing. Still, this is really encouraging.

15. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yep, that's the one. I too will be waiting for independent, third party testing before spending any money but if it does perform in real life as well as it appears to in the videos, then I will be extremely interested in picking one up along with a 70-200 f/4 L IS USM. The only thing I wish they would've done is use a single AF target, because there do seem to be a fair number of mis-focus shots taken using all of the AF points (but I really can't blame it, especially since S-AF was being used instead of C-AF).

I hope the adapter and lenses perform well in C-AF too. I guess time will tell.

16. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I'm really not impressed by that one. For some of the sequences the lens is barely having to refocus between shots, which makes it rather easy to do. With the pictures in the park, where it does have to refocus a lot, things are often well out of focus even when the camera gives a green box bleep.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Yeah, it isn't really great.

But what's striking is just how much Kipon has succeeded in making an AF adapter for PDAF lenses that is so noticeably faster than Olympus' own efforts with their SWD lenses and 4/3s adapters. That's what get's me.

18. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    Maybe they've made it fast by sacrificing accuracy. I guess we need to wait for some independent tests.

• Agree Agree x 1