1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kingsburg Nova Scotia

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by Grant, May 19, 2010.

1. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

4622103836_b79266f0d2_o.

We have had a wonderful few days of sun and while all love it I am not a fan of shooting in the sun. Today is dull and overcast with all that wonderful mood that I live for. I took the dog for a romp on Hirtles Beach and on the way back I shot a few in Kingsburg.

I guess I should have added a bit about the post in this image. I shot in raw and then I did a multiple “print” process. I “printed” the sky and the foreground differently. I combined both exposures. Next I then made a duplicate the resulting layer turning the blend to multiply, Then I used a mask to paint in and out a similar approach to dodging and burning in a dark room. As a final adjustment I add a bit of grain to the image. This created a bit of a harsh and grainy look which is reminiscent to photographs made int the 50’s and 60’s.

2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Grant, I really like the graininess for this photograph - it suits it very well. I particularly like the second house on the left and the curve of the road as it follows along...with those two other buildings that appear to have the same natural shingles.

That's an interesting cloud bank and gives this image a feel of another time.

Thank you for this and I look forward to seeing more photographs of Nova Scotia!

3. thekeddi

thekeddi Mu-43 Rookie

May 17, 2010
    Great Photo!

i have always said that Nova Scotia is one of the places I would like to go to one day, it's a long way from Australia though!

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    great shot.... great process

my mothers family came from antogonish N.S. to nyc in the 1920s , but still have lots of relatives there

5. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Lovely image, interesting PP technique. I like that the scene is almost timeless (but I see a small portion of a car over the stairs on the left). I was in N.S. one summer many years ago, I hope to return again.

6. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Beautiful shot. Great result, however you achieved it. Definitely reminiscent of the look of a lot of photographs (at least enlargements) back when I was first into it. I love that look.

-Ray