Kingfisher on the move. Some newish and some old

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Given up how many Kingfisher shots here, just too many. A favourite bird that I like to hunt out when possible.

So the Sacred Kingfisher (similar to a Collard KF) with the Oly's and Canon FD 500 F/4.5L

P1010671.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

P1010672.jpg

P1010882-2.jpg

P5161373.jpg

P6301247.jpg

P6301249.jpg

P7150084.jpg

P1010772.jpg

P1010773.jpg

P1010881-2.jpg

All the best folks.

Danny.

Richard_M

Mu-43 Regular
WOW, great set!

We have just arrived home from a whirlwind trip to NZ. We went to watch the All Blacks at Eden Park, then spent a few days with family. I managed to get out for a few snaps including photographing a few Sacred Kingfishers, but nothing like your set.

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
WOW, great set!

We have just arrived home from a whirlwind trip to NZ. We went to watch the All Blacks at Eden Park, then spent a few days with family. I managed to get out for a few snaps including photographing a few Sacred Kingfishers, but nothing like your set.
Finally the AB's are back compared to the week before :boohoo: At work I had the AB's at 23 in front of the Wallabies on Saturday. Never thought I would win it though, but I did :) The Aussies were all over us the week before though for sure. I lost that one. LOL. The Wallabies just played outside themselves that week and deserved to win by that margin.

Anyway, rugby mad here and looking forward to the world cup.

All the best and thanks, it's appreciated and hope you enjoyed yourself here.

Danny.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Those are great pics. How on earth you managed that lot, I got no idea.
Well done.

KeithT

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Keith Temlett
Finally the AB's are back compared to the week before :boohoo: At work I had the AB's at 23 in front of the Wallabies on Saturday. Never thought I would win it though, but I did :) The Aussies were all over us the week before though for sure. I lost that one. LOL. The Wallabies just played outside themselves that week and deserved to win by that margin.

Anyway, rugby mad here and looking forward to the world cup.

All the best and thanks, it's appreciated and hope you enjoyed yourself here.

Danny.
We may be on opposite sides of the rubgy fan base but I'll give you full credit for your amazing shots with MF.

Agree - the AB's did look a whole lot better in their last game :thumbup: (SBW seems to have lost the ''magic'')

🤫 the Boks also looking good over here :biggrin: so hoping we meet ''late'' in the tournament.

Apologies to the Welsh but I'm a little surprised at their No. 1 ranking 🤔 although I haven't watched them lately

Hayath

Mu-43 Regular
Given up how many Kingfisher shots here, just too many. A favourite bird that I like to hunt out when possible.

So the Sacred Kingfisher (similar to a Collard KF) with the Oly's and Canon FD 500 F/4.5L

View attachment 769750

View attachment 769751

View attachment 769755

View attachment 769756

View attachment 769758

View attachment 769759

View attachment 769760

View attachment 769752

View attachment 769753

View attachment 769754

View attachment 769757

All the best folks.

Danny.

Stunning action set!

Rabe

New to Mu-43
Brilliant! I love the "bokeh horizon" on the first two shots. It somehow makes those pictures stand out more for me.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
@macro ,

How on earth you managed BIF with MF and without pre-focus?! And those eyes are in sharp focus?! :hail:

Here I am, still fighting with my E-M1 's C-AF to shoot wildlife on the ground :dash2:

Beautiful composition too.

I really want to learn from you. I would love to stay with m4/3 for all my photography needs and avoid getting Nikon D500 just for fast wildlife and sports.

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
@macro ,

How on earth you managed BIF with MF and without pre-focus?! And those eyes are in sharp focus?! :hail:

Here I am, still fighting with my E-M1 's C-AF to shoot wildlife on the ground :dash2:

Beautiful composition too.

I really want to learn from you. I would love to stay with m4/3 for all my photography needs and avoid getting Nikon D500 just for fast wildlife and sports.
Thanks for that. Appreciated. Long post coming up, warning :)

Ahhh, the D500. Only a fool would knock the capabilities of that camera. I shoot with a mate here sometimes (Steve Was) and that thing with a Nikon 200-500 in low light and tracking is super impressive!

We do get to see some amazing shots though from m4/3 including BIFs from, Mike, Eric, Ron, etc, etc. So it is very capable in the AF department. Where m4/3 seems to be let down is in the tracking department. The trouble is, I don't know anything about AF at all, so those people in this forum are worth asking, more so than me. We also have some amazing motorsports shooters in here, a little different to a small flying bird close up, but we do see incredible fast action shots from them as well. It could well be all in the settings, but again, I know nothing about AF or tracking settings.

When it comes to manual focus, it's an entirely different ballgame and there are techniques I've used for years. I did do a write up here, but this site is fairly hard to find older posts, hang on, I'll take a quick look ............. ahhh here it is .......

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/manual-focus-tele-lens-techniques-for-birds-and-bifs.89712/

So the camera settings should be in there and the MF techniques used, especially focusing very slightly backward and forward during a slow burst. Don't try a fast burst, there is no point in having a hundred out of cous shots when you can have 5 out of 10 decent shots worth posting. I like 5 FPS and up to maybe 10.

For manual focus on BIFs the internal MF focus feel is the most important thing of all. Canon FD teles are simply superb with the balance and internal focus movement. Nikon as well with their ED tele lenses.

I know what you are saying, I shoot with mates using 1Dx and 400 F/2.8 and 500 F/4 lenses, they do nail the shots for sure as does Steve with his D500. I would definitely ask people like Ron, Eric, Mike, Robstar, etc. I know a few here are using the D500 and it really is built for it IMO. Personally I like using Sony FF, APS-C and m4/3. Each has benefits the others don't have. Sony with the APS-C A6400 and the new A6600 with a Sony 200-600 could also be a darn good option.

All the best and a bit of a long one, but seems important to you. Thanks again.

Danny.

zzffnn

Mu-43 Veteran
Thank you very much @macro Danny. I am seriously considering following your foot steps (buying a FD 500/4.5L and MF on wildlife / sports with my E-M1).

I read your linked thread very carefully. I think I will enjoy the challenge and the journey. Let me sit on the idea for a few weeks. Going this route will change my lens/gear purchase strategy quite a bit.

Going the MF route also makes great financial sense. m4/3 gears have served me well for almost everything else, except for fast sports and wildlife (which I honestly don't shoot enough to justify spending $2000 [used D500+200-500 lens] on it).

I had a Canon FD 200mm f/4.0 none L before on E-M10 Mk2 and like its mechanical feel (while MF'ing on birds). But I understand it is way worse than the L (fluorite) version optically and my photos did reveal that.

Last edited:

macro

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thank you very much @macro Danny. I am seriously considering following your foot steps (buying a FD 500/4.5L and MF on wildlife / sports with my E-M1).

I read your linked thread very carefully. I think I will enjoy the challenge and the journey. Let me sit on the idea for a few weeks. Going this route will change my lens/gear purchase strategy quite a bit.

Going the MF route also makes great financial sense. m4/3 gears have served me well for almost everything else, except for fast sports and wildlife (which I honestly don't shoot enough to justify spending $2000 [used D500+200-500 lens] on it).

I had a Canon FD 200mm f/4.0 none L before on E-M10 Mk2 and like its mechanical feel (while MF'ing on birds). But I understand it is way worse than the L (fluorite) version optically and my photos did reveal that.
The E-M1 is still going here and works well with the 500 F/4.5L. The only thing wrong with the E-M1 is the mechanical shutter died, still works on electronic shutter though. Another decent canon FD lens is the FD 300 F/4L. Two versions of it, so note the "L". Non fluorite, but still excellent and well corrected.

MF just becomes normal and with the right lens with internal focus. You will get a lot of shots and you will miss a lot of shots, but to me, it just feels right.

All the best and if I can help, just drop me a line.

Danny.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom