King of the Mirrorless: GH3 or E-M5?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by mirrorless, Apr 6, 2013.

1. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    This thread was snuck into the Olympus forum, but no one asked us in this forum. For those of us that know who is really boss, place your votes :) :2thumbs:
  2. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    [​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="2"></a>[/IMG]
  3. Hudsonhites

Hudsonhites Mu-43 Regular

Jul 14, 2011
    My preference is the E-M5 but I won't say it's better than the GH3 just different.
  4. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
  5. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Wow I didn't realize the size difference!
  6. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    GH3 = E-M5 with Panasonic colors. So you have to like Panasonic colors to like the GH3.
    Panasonic colors do not look real life enough for my taste:
  7. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    I canĀ“t say which one is better, because they are too different. You only have to see the size difference in post #2 to realise that you can't compare them
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Another one of these threads :confused::hide:
  9. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Now, how about the same photo with the extra two grips everyone seems to need to make it big enough to hold?:rolleyes:
  10. aldus

aldus Mu-43 Regular

Dec 24, 2012
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Dennis Moser
    Did you shoot this with the Oly? Guess I'd like to see a side by side of the two before I could say which one had the more "real life" colors. Whenever I hear that phrase, I always think of Paul Simon and "Kodachrome": "You give us the nice bright colors...and everything looks worse in black and white." :)
  11. mirrorless

mirrorless Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2013
    Here you go, shot with same camera settings, approx same distance, RAW format on both, same lens (PL25), no adjustments made in post.

<a href="" title="P4060046 by Mirrorless1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="P4060046"></a><a href="" title="P1010095 by Mirrorless1, on Flickr">[​IMG]"500" height="375" alt="P1010095"></a>

Used OMD to shoot GH3 and GH3 to shoot OMD. The GH3 colors look better to me (picture of OMD camera), but just because of the color of the wood. More comparisons need to be made. I have only had the OMD one day, so we'll see in due time how the colors differ.
  12. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Are those films yours? The blues and reds seem much more saturated than is typical for Panasonic. Did you change in camera settings or add saturation in PP? I actually thought they were from an Olympus at first.
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    The GH3 makes the lens look small and the lens makes the E-M5 look small :smile:

14. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    No they aren't my videos. They were shot with a GH3 with the camera set for extra saturation and sharpening. Panasonic colors look distinctly different to my eyes than Olympus colors. I not sure a Panasonic could duplicate the vibrance of the colors you see in the photo below that was shot today RAW by my Oly E-PL1 and the tone correction and white balance adjusted slightly using Olympus View 3.0
  15. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia

BTW, I shoot on "muted" colours and it looks fine. I use to process my images with very subdued colours and limited saturation to create as close as possible colouring to real life but as I now do stuff to keep others happy, I have been slightly seduced to the over-saturated "Canon" colour look - you know, the one people use to refer to as "Kodak" colour.

I find the Olympus more comfortable to use, I like the size of the Olympus and I appreciate that my fast manual focus primes all have image stabilisation.
  16. kevwilfoto

kevwilfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2011
    This poll needs a "both/tie" option, both cameras are almost identically awesome, but in very different ways.
  17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I agree that Olympus JPEG engine produces fantastic results, more pop than Panasonics Venus engine, but 2 cameras with the same sensor shooting raw should, in theory, save similar data. That EP-L 1 shot should contain the same information as a GF-1 shot which shares its sensor (although auto-WB etc might produce slightly different results right out of the camera).
  18. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    For me the king of mirrorless is the Leica M type 240. YMMV.

19. sinclair

sinclair Mu-43 Veteran

Like I said in the other thread, my GF5 wins hands down. Well, because it's the only one in my hands!
  20. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    With all due respect to the OP, shouldn't the thread be titled King of M43 mirrorless? With all the new products coming to market from all makers and mirrorless categories, this is a large claim :)