1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kindle update for Android

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by Fmrvette, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    This will apply to very few folks here but it's the Watering Hole so what the heck...

Amazon has (finally!!!) released an update for the Kindle Reader application on the Nexus 7. (Perhaps other Android devices as well; I ain't gots no other Androids so I don't know for sure).

The update allows one to place books in collections. (One can have mysteries in one collection, photography books in a different collection, etc.) It's a very, very handy way to organize ones digital library and has not, until now, been available on anything other than a Kindle device AFAIAA.

The better news is that existing collections are honored; that is, if one has a Kindle reader with books in collections the update to the Android will keep the collections intact so that one does not have to go through the drudgery of resorting all of ones books. I segued from a Kindle Keyboard to a Nexus last February or March and took the Kindle off line. When the application update came through (totally unexpectedly) today I found that my collections from the Kindle device had been saved and were totally usable).

If one has only a hundred to two hundred books it's probably not a big deal, but if one has a couple of thousand books...trust me, it's a big deal :biggrin:.

If you have Kindle loaded on an Android device check out the upgrade.

Regards,

Jim

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    OH MAN. I used to use a kindle e-ink reader, then thought I'd get a Nexus tablet, I was WAY disappointed in the kindle android app- very stripped down and incredibly obnoxious to organize anything. VERY welcomed news.

3. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Dennis!

I've not yet figured out how to view books that are not yet organized into collections. Not that one can't see the books, but one cannot (as far as I've been able to determine) get a view to see only those books not yet in collections.

(That view is handy because it shows one what work is left to do in organizing the library - it was available on the Kindle Keyboard but I don't (yet) see it on the Nexus 7.)

I'm not complaining too much, tho - just getting the Collections capability is a huge step forward.

(I sorted by "last read" and then went down the list to add the books into collections until I got to those that were already in collections. Clumsy, but it worked. Then, being totally idiotic, I spent last night and today going through ALL of the books verifying that the collections were correct. It helps that I'm retired and the wife was at the mall today :wink:).

Regards,

Jim

4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Said like a true geek. :wink: I've been known to spend many hours organizing my ebooks, digitizing and organizing (and editing metadata in) my audio files, etc. :biggrin:

And yes, this feature upgrade is great. I prefer to read books on e-ink, but I keep my photography books in the Kindle app on my Nexus 7 for its higher resolution and color screen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Holy cow Jim, I'm guessing you are either a speed reader or there are still one or two you haven't gotten to yet. If you started with the 1st gen kindle, that's still 6+ books a week over the last 6 years

6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    When I get started reading, I read on average one book per day. But I take it in spells.

7. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Well, it helps that I'm retired :biggrin:. Also a fair number of books that I read are mystery novels that go for only a couple/three hundred pages and don't require a lot of concentration. And there are tech books (Win 8, Server 12, LR4, etc.) that aren't actually "read", but rather referenced.

And some are digital versions of hard copy books that I read before I got the Kindle.

And...(here I'm really showing my age) - e-books didn't start with the Kindle around here. The HP95 hand held

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/museum/personalsystems/0025/0025history.html

was capable of "reading" e-books; a fair collection of books could/can be downloaded from Project Gutenberg

http://www.gutenberg.org/ .

So it's been a longer stretch than six years that I've been on the "digital conversion" bandwagon but it's really picked up steam the last three years.

Since Amin created the "help mu-43" thread I've been pretty much ordering from that link so you can see that I'm hooked on the 86th Precinct mystery series as of late:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=55354 You can see the number of books I plow through in that thread. Not all books purchased are listed, I split my support between this joint and Mike Johnston's The Online Photographer

http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/blog_index.html

But I think you've nailed it, I probably do average a book a day, maybe a bit more in the winter. I'm not an outdoors person :biggrin:.

Digital books have made my life a LOT easier - no storage of books, no trips to the bookstore (apologies to Barnes & Noble) - even my local library offers e-books that can be downloaded rather than making a trip to the library :2thumbs:.

Some guys retire to golf, some to fish, some to photograph...and we lazy ones retire to read :biggrin:.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    The same is available on the iPad and iPhone versions of the app, but it may have been added just recently as well. I never use the collections feature - tried it for a while on an older version of the Kindle, but I really prefer to see everything at once, so it was ultimately more confusing than helpful. I just keep a queue of books to read on the root level of the device and tend to relegate them to the cloud shortly after I finish reading them. Between my wife and I, we've got a pretty enormous collection in the cloud now, but I've never had trouble finding anything with a quick search. Sort of the gmail model, and like with mail, I find it works well. And I never have more than a couple dozen books on my device (or in iPad/iPhone apps) to get overwhelmed by.

In any case, good that they're getting their apps up to date.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    That is nice to know, as I am getting a Kindle only now. Been loyal to the Sony reader until now precisely because of this. When you read mostly fantasy where everything comes in minimum of a trilogy, you'd appreciate this feature. :)