1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kindle, Kobo or Nook?

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by MrDoug, Apr 28, 2013.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Hi.. Does anyone here ever take a break from Photo Forums and who enjoys reading a book on any subject with a e-reader such as a Kindle, Nook or Kobo etc.. ? If so, let me know you thoughts and opinions of your favorite e-readers and why... I just got a new Kobo Glo and love it.. I also have a Nook Glo and Kindle Paperwhite.. :smile:
    Doug

2. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I have a Kindle Touch (w/ lighted case) as well as a 7" Kindle Fire HD. I find the e-ink screens to be easier on my old eyes, especially when reading for longer periods of time. I primarily got the Fire HD for reading photography books, magazines & PDFs, as it's better at displaying graphics. When reading for enjoyment, I use the Touch.

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!

3. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    Canada
    Justin
    Love my kobo glo!

4. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Get a nexus 7 and have all three bookstores available..

gordon

5. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Kindle 3 user here - I love the screen and enjoy reading on it.

Discovering that I enjoy dead-tree format and supporting my local book store more though.

6. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, an iPad and a Kindle Paperwhite, it's my 3rd Kindle and the inbuilt back lighting has meant I use it a lot more than the prior 2.

My busy life means that I generally only get to sit and read in the evening so I used to read much more using the iPad or the Samsung than the earlier Kindles but not any more.

I'd buy a Fire but a lot of the functionality is disabled outside the U.S and they really aren't practical over hear without hacking them which I wasn't interested in attempting (even if I could manage it).

I still have a large collection of paper books but more and more I only buy paper when I can't get the electronic version.

7. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    Totally ebook since I got my first Kindle four years ago. I have a Kindle Paperwhite now for most of my reading, but do a little reading on my iPad.

8. Wizard Steve

Wizard Steve Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Provence, France
    David Ricketts
    I originally bought a Bookeen e-reader and was very disappointed; it just couldn't hold a charge. The Kindle I bought for my wife subsequently has been faultless. A friend has also broken several Kindles and Amazon has always been ready to replace them at a nominal cost.

9. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I used to be a bit against e-readers... until I got one! I love it now. I have a last gen kindle basic reader, JUST before the paperwhite came out, ah well- it was still cheap. I'm holding out for a color e-ink kindle to come out in the future, it'd make a great comic book + cook book reader.

The only thing I really miss is being able to give people my books or lends them my books. Amazon has a thing where you can lend an e-book to a person for something like 2 weeks, one book at a time out, but it's not quite the same.

10. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Boox m92 - 9.7" Pearl eink device. I read a fair amount of IT technical books on it and hate reading for long periods of time on lcd's. Usually get the books directly from the publishers, so I'm not locked into a drm'ed walled garden. Working flawlessly for me - had for a year now. The bonus is that the dev's are porting Android over to it. Google Book store should be nice to have on it. Anyways, recommended if you need to read larger format books and/or research papers.

11. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I read daily on an old kindle 3g keyboard. It's cracked and the screen is a bit damaged, but I still love it for its light weight, lovely e-ink screen and long battery life. Almost all my photography books are paper as they tend to be large format and that doesn't work too well even on a 10" tablet IMHO. There are 10" and 7" tablets in my house but they don't tend to be used for reading books by me. I do have a Kindle fire which is much better than I thought it would be, but yes it's really annoying the stuff that doesn't work outside the US.

Rob

Sent from my VegaCream RC2 using Tapatalk HD

12. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    I love the screen of paperwhite, but have and very much enjoy a hacked Sony. Worth investigating which ereaders are hackable and what it can add for you imho.

13. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If you ever want to read in sunlight and/or without eye fatigue and/or want something that will not require recharging fro the duration of an average holiday, get something with an eInk display - whether the Kindle, Nook or Kobo is best depends in part on your locality (i.e. Kindle is a bit useless in NL because you don't get the fill range of eBook availability from Amazon due to geographical restrictions imposed by publishers. Stupid, really, as they have no issue with me ordering a paper book from the US, but try to get a download....no go, a lot of the time).

I have an old Sony that works OK but is long in the tooth. The girlfriend decided on the Kobo Glo over the sony (cheaper, smaller, lighter, screen quality just as good) and it's a wonderful little reader. I'll likely be upgrading the Sony (PRS 505) very shortly.

14. savvy

savvy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 28, 2012
    SE Essex, UK
    Les
    Kindle 3 Wifi Keyboard.

Got this when it first appeared as I was struggling to read novels on the train on my daily commute without resorting to reading glasses. Being able the increase the font size was a godsend, and I read more than ever because of this device, it's a pleasure again. :2thumbs:

I've just started "A Memory of Light", the last book in the epic Wheel of Time series - been waiting a long time for Brandon to finish this and the publishers to finally release it.

15. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    if you download calibre all the bookstores will be available to you, regardless of the device you use.

I own a nook simple touch. I enjoy the ergonomics of it, but the newer kindles are a little smaller, lighter, and have great battery life (though this is true of all ereaders). Plus the light seems very well implemented.

16. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks for the replies.. I thought I would never drift into a e-reader, but once I did it was like WoW.. The e-ink is easier on my eyes than the tablets..also better in daylight.. I love my Kobo Glo. Nice at night in bed..
    Doug

17. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    Kindle Paperwhite baby!

I can't say enough about the Kindle Paperwhite, my third kindle:

• it's small and easy to hold with one hand. I can actually carry it around in my pocket.
    • Not only can I hold the book with one hand, I can change the page with one hand without resorting to digital gymnastics. Best ever for reading in bed.
    • I can read it in all light conditions, and don't need to bring along a clip-on light like I had to with my old Kindles
    • It's only good for reading books. I know that for some people this is a disadvantage, but for me the inaccessibility of distractions is huge. Whenever I try to read on my wife's iPad I always end up surfing the web.
    • The biggest plus: for an old guy like me with imperfect eyes, I can change the text size easily. This means I can make it huge when I'm reading in bed with tired eyes, and small when I'm reading in daylight and fresh. No reading glasses!

18. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    Mellow, I too like to read w/o distraction, and I find myself popping into email, Tapatalk or more, when I'm reading on my Fire HD or my laptop.

I started with the very first Kindle and upgraded with every iteration, but I stopped short of the Paperwhite. I'm trying to be less of an early adopter. :wink: I was rewarded for waiting, in that the Touch got the Paperwhite's new UI not too long ago. :biggrin:

19. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes, I forgot to mention that distraction factor.. If I read on my iPad or Samsung Note II, I find myself frequently being on ALERT for Mail, Text etc.. with the e-Reader not the case.. way more Focused.. Pun intended..

20. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I use a Nook app on my iPad. Works great.