1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

kind of annoyed at oly au repair turnaround times :(

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by piggsy, Jul 9, 2015.

1. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

E-P5 developed the usual dial problem a few months back. Kept using it because it wasn't so terrible as to lose more than one click in 20 or so. Eventually got worse to the point where it would take 30 seconds of turning to get it to register one click. Had another issue where sometimes mft native electronic lenses would blank the camera display out and act as though they were disconnected, didn't seem to be a problem with the contacts. So. Sent it off on the 24th of June.

Was prepared to give it a couple of weeks - when I sent my FL600R off for repairs I was told this was their usual target turnaround time.

2 weeks + 2 days, decide to give them a call and ask how it's going. Was told:

They no longer have a 2 week turnaround target due to "some changes".

The camera is waiting repairs still, for a part to come in.

It will be "at least" 2 more weeks for it to be repaired.

Kind of annoyed - this is a current lineup camera halfway through warranty that still sells for $1000au rec retail. Apparently not enough parts are kept to hand to repair them and I can get something sent here via free postage from china faster than parts are transferred to their repair centre.

2. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    That is the standard excuse given by most camera repair services. It actually means, due to cutbacks we do not have enough technicians to do the work in a timely manner so your camera is sitting in a pile with 100 or more cameras that have similar problems. We have no idea when we will get to yours but if you keep bothering us it will take longer. :(

3. ashburtononline

ashburtononline Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2015
    New Zealand
    That's bullshit ! I ordered an Olympus filter from Oly.au and it took 2 months to get to me. I ordered a lens hood 4 months ago .... Still waiting ! The last cash back of some $500 took 4 months to arrive too !!

4. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I actually gave them the benefit of the doubt on the parts excuse - the impression over the phone was that I was talking to a dude with a cold who was not having a great day, bashing away at a computer system that took a good 3 minutes to even find my job. But yeah, now seems kind of naive :D

The whole system seems kind of shakey to me - they don't give you pre-clearance and a ticket before you send the part in, don't contact you once they have it, have an internal job number that is never relayed to you unless you ask, don't advise you when they're sending something back. And that is the FL600r experience before there were "some changes" to operations that have evidently made things ... not better. It's like if you made a system with the primary goal of annoying customers and having a huge potential to lose things at multiple points - this is what you would design.

The cashback thing - I went through the same thing when I did my thing with it last year - they were pretty clear it would take a while (2-3 months, I think it was?) so I never really sweated it. And sometimes "problems" seem to work out in my favour like picking up the VF-4 for $69 from their web store. But this drama is not cool like that was :D

5. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Received back today, and postage for some reason took two days, so their side of it was a day short of 3 weeks from them taking delivery. Wrote back in their repair feedback that if it had actually turned out to be a minimum of 4+ weeks as I was told it could be, there would be very little chance of ever buying their gear again - and that I would be happy to pay if I could get the same sub-week turnaround as they seem to be operating now in the UK/EU. Bright side - at least the problems are fixed:

Replace top cover
    Replace switch board SW-FPC
    Recalibrate settings
    Upgrade firmware (guessing just as part of check, was already 1.6)
    Clean & test all functions

Hooray.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  6. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Glad to hear (read) that you have it back now. The slowness in post is Australia Post's new & improved system, :hmmm: or rather cost cutting. :rolleyes-38: Standard post that used come the next day now comes in 2 to 3 days but if posted Express Post (at more cost) it can come the next day (depending on areas).

7. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Ah yes Aus Post - have had some weird experiences with them lately where they alternate between excellent (order in the afternoon from sydney - get it 7.30am next day) to hilariously hopeless (the same wrongly delivered letter came back to us FOUR TIMES and by the end was literally entirely covered in marks from the people at our post office saying NOT THIS ADDRESS - worst part - it never even had our actual address on the front, it was for a different suburb and post code entirely). Although - the best one recently was Keh.com which did Smyrna Georgia US > Brisbane Australia from an order friday morning our time to monday morning our time. Their fedex was about half what you usually pay for that too.

8. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer