1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Killed my new GX7?

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by compute42, Apr 4, 2014.

1. compute42

compute42 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2014
    well I'm not sure if I did... ?!

So got home l late and setup time-lapse shot to get the milky way moving across my backyard last night...
    20 sec exposures, 20mm 1.7 lens, 400 shots total every 25 seconds camera powers down to sleep mode after time-lapse is completed
    Pointed the camera NNE under my balcony (east side protected by pine trees)

Camera starts doing its thing, and I fall asleep. wake up around 9AM and go out to retrieve my camera, yep its in sleep mode, I click it off and on, it says "time lapse complete" and then the viewfinder comes up solid blue with weird yellow dots...
    Take a picture, clean lens, clean sensor, reboot camera, try different lens... nope nothing works.... Look at image on computer, and yep its the sensor/camera not the viewfinder, cause its the same weird blue/grey junk on the photo.

Camerea only took 230 of the 400 shots, but perhaps the battery died... Strange it would power on again in the AM however.

Did I really kill my camera by leaving it out without a lens cap on? catching just a corner of the sunlight during sunrise while it was powered off!?! Even when its powered off shouldn't the aperture be closed?!
    Seriously this cant be the case... how do people capture daytime time-lapses... or perhaps my camera sensor just crapped the bed?
    I'd like to figure this out... so I don't kill another one (replacement already ordered and lucky I bought the extra protection insurance)

2. compute42

compute42 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2014
    Also 2nd question...

Since my mishap, i'm thinking of getting a dedicated Cannon T2i for time-lapse work... can get extended batteries, and at around $300 on ebay seems like a deal... How does the Image quaility compare from a Cannon 550D (2ti) to a GX7?

3. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    How cold did it get during that night? Batteries lose power at colder temperatures, then regain it when they warm.

4. compute42

compute42 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2014
    about 45 was a cold as it got (living in so-cal has its advantages)

5. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    That's SoCal "cold". I don't know expected battery life for the GX7, but 230 shots max at 45 degrees is not surprising, depending on how you set up the camera. For example, was the monitor showing live view the whole time? Did it show the just-taken photo after each one? If you can turn off the display while you take time-lapse photos, the battery will last longer.

If you will do a lot of unattended time-lapse, it might be worth using an external power supply or external battery, if you can. I removed the internal stuff from a cheap, third-party battery so I could attach a wire and use it as an adapter to a large external battery of the proper voltage. (I use a cheap voltage converter to get the 7.6 volts my E-M5 needs from a 12 volt battery.)