Kiama Rock Pool at Dawn (M.Zuiko 9-18mm)

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Some photos take at Kiama which is located on the East Coast of Australia about 90 minutes drive South of Sydney.

Kiama is famous for its blowhole. Near the blowhole is a rock pool.

The photos were taken with an Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm lens and I am quite happy with the performance on the day (despite some operator error in other shots).

Technically, the first two are are pre-dawn shots and the last is at 'first-light' to the exact minute.

The dawn itself was terrible with no colour. The last one is my favourite. What do you think?

Kiama_Dawn-211.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Kiama_Dawn-31.jpg

Kiama_Dawn-2.jpg

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Are you kidding Peter? What are you not pleased by? These three are absolutely stunning. I'm torn between the first and second as my favorite, for their simplicity and lines. I don't think it gets much better than this.

Do you post your photos online anywhere else? I sure wish you were on Flickr so I could find your photographs fast. These are simply beautiful and so atypical of many "landscapes" or seascapes or beach photos.

P.S. I am sorry about your pal's camera though he seems to have done quite well with the aftermath camera buying, but good for you for your fast reflexes!

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I meant the lack of colour in the sky. You know, the orange and red stuff you get after sunrise. Those shots were pre-dawn to first-light shots and are what you expect, but it went downhill from there.

I am peterb666 on Flickr - you are welcome to have a play in there. Almost everything is in sets so here is a link (I assume it works) ...

peterb666's photosets on Flickr

My friend is OK, he is very upset at the time but is consoling himself on now having a Canon 5D MkII rather than the original version (he said he got a a great price on the camera), and Apple sold him a replacement for his satuarated iPhone for around 1/4 the price as an 'out of warranty' exchange - he was most upset about the phone. The phone was under warranty but naturally inundation by large wave is not covered.

Unfortunately, the sea can be unpredictable and my friend knows this well. He kept telling me this morning that there will be a rogue wave about every 40 minutes. The swell this morning was around 2 to 2.5m (about 6.5 to 8.5 ft).

If you look at this picture, we would have been out of frame to the left. I originally thought we were about 15m above sea level, but it is more likely more than 20m.

4610999160_4b9f054131_o.jpg

Despite being high and dry, the rogue wave hit the cliff-face and shot up the cliff and perhaps another 15m above the cliff. Enough to get me about 20m away from the cliff-face.

The water washing over the rocks in that photo is the spot where the wave hit. The water on that rock is from a 2 to 2.5m wave. The rogue wave wouldn't been a lot higher before it hit - no more than 4m, it just had a lot more energy and it shot up the face of the basalt columns that extend out of frame.

hmpws

Mu-43 Regular
I like the first one also, because of the line and saturation. At the same time though, I wouldn't have guessed it was dawn without the title.

LisaO

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Nice image, I know what you mean about the colour but it's still a pleasing image. You will just have to return there:smile:. What a lovely place, I would love to swim there!

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Very nice images. All three are great, but I like the third one the best.

Antonio

At last, someone agrees with me!

Thanks to all of you for your comments.

I have just noticed in the first photo as I am viewing it on a much brigher monitor that here the shadow of my friend and me in the water along with one of our tripods!!!!

Thinking about the next rock pool now. Very happy with my 9-18mm M.Zuiko.

Cheers to all.

Latest threads

Top Bottom