Kenko-Tokina announces first MFT/NEX lens

tanngrisnir3

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well, if it stays at that price point, it might be interesting for birders or certain landscape scenarios with brighter light and BIG distances.

But, yes, it is an odd first stab at a market where the gaps are already well know (high quality UWA 9mm prime, anyone?)

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
I'm a fan of mirror lenses, and think m43 is the perfect system for a nice compact one, but this one isn't it. First, 400mm is just too long . . . it'll be darn near impossible to focus. Second, f/8 is just too darn slow. You'll be shooting the thing at f/8, 1/2000 and ISO1600 most of the time, and struggling like crazy to focus.

It would make so much more sense to build a super-compact 250-300mm f/5.6 or even f/4 mirror; THAT would have my interest.

mister_roboto

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Dennis
...weird.

Uh, well, it's about 4.5" (for us Americans), so it's the smallest mirror lens I've ever seen... with no tripod mount....

Weird, hopefully the AF works well.

punkman

Mu-43 Regular
Some things I would buy instead:

Samyang 500mm f/6.3
Olympus OM 300mm f/5.6
Cosina 100-400mm f4.5-6.7
Tokina 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6

Mellow

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Tom
...weird.

Uh, well, it's about 4.5" (for us Americans), so it's the smallest mirror lens I've ever seen... with no tripod mount....

Weird, hopefully the AF works well.

There are some shorter ones, with adapter:
Makinon 300mm f/5.6 3.4"
Haminex 300mm f/5.6 3.7"
Kalimar 300mm f/5.6 4.1"

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There are some advantages to a reflex lens. This one isn't too expensive and is very compact for a relfex. Still I would rather spend my money on something better!

I would not be surprised if Samyang doesn't take their 500mm f6.3 and modify it for m43 and nex! Being 100mm longer and a stop faster makes for a more useful lens{although it is a bit bigger and heavier}. .

Brownie

Thread Killer Extraordinaire
Real Name
Tim
At $250, 2.9" x 3" and 12.5 oz. it'd be a great lens to throw in a EDC bag if the quality is anything close to reasonable. Some of the user photos are decent, most look soft.

However if the base line is the $1500, 3.25 x 6.75 and 2.17 lb PL 100-400, you'd need to understand there will be concessions in IQ.

I'm going to see if anyone has reviewed it.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Looks like it's actually a T-mount, there have been recent announcements about Nikon Z, Sony E and Canon RF and all show a rather large T adapter.

-SZX-400mm-f8-super-tele-reflex-MF-lens-6-1536x850.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There are some advantages to a reflex lens. This one isn't too expensive and is very compact for a relfex. Still I would rather spend my money on something better!

I would not be surprised if Samyang doesn't take their 500mm f6.3 and modify it for m43 and nex! Being 100mm longer and a stop faster makes for a more useful lens{although it is a bit bigger and heavier}. .
Catadioptric (mirror) lenses aren't really designed for "run & gun" photography. What makes this interesting to me is that it can be focused. Most, at least back in the 1970s, were infinity fixed things aimed at wildlife photographers, and astrophotography, a tripod mount was an important part of its configuration.

One adapted oneself to the lens, not the other way around. I haven't kept up with these things, but based on my admittedly 'stone-age' experiences, it isn't clear to me what sort of photography this product is aimed at.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Looks like it's actually a T-mount, there have been recent announcements about Nikon Z, Sony E and Canon RF and all show a rather large T adapter.

Yes, it is a FF lens with native T-mount which makes it future proof because all you need is a new T-mount to whatever adapter even if you swich to a new system.

Lens itself is extremely compact but lens hood is as long as the lens itself and T-mount to m4/3 adapter adds another half of lens lenght. I did get my copy a few weeks ago and posted one sample photo in moonshots thread but here's a sample photo that was shot some 200m away from the building. Second image is a 1000px crop from the center of first.

200 meter shot.jpg

1000px crop.jpg

It's not extremely sharp and contrast is somewhat lost even with the lens hood attached but if you can fill the whole 20MP frame with the subject without need to heavy cropping, result is just OK. If you can actually see the screwheads on window pane from 200 meters away, it can't be that bad, right?

Just a word of warning: this lens is almost impossible to focus even when it's mounted on a tripod and don't ever imagine shooting this freehand. Focus ring is really accurate and smooth but DOF is just insanely shallow. I recommend setting the tripod on concrete before trying to shoot video because image will shake if you as much as breath heavily next to the camera.

Let's throw the moonshot here as well. I'm not sure if the focus was spot on but still a decent result because there was a light haze in the sky and I'm living in a city so I always havr light pollution around. In my opinion this would be a perfect budget 400mm lens for a 24MP FF camera but when only a 25% center of the full image circle is used by 20MP MFT sensor, lack of extreme shapness becomes evident. (note that moonshot is again a 1800*1400px crop from the center of full 20MP m4/3 image)

Moon.jpg

Last edited:

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Urgh. The sharpness from those samples looks like a cheapo 40-150 cropped to 300 would be sharper...

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Urgh. The sharpness from those samples looks like a cheapo 40-150 cropped to 300 would be sharper...

There is way much more than just sharpness in photography....

I did buy this lens for the doughnut bokeh and video but weather sucks here and there are no leaves in the trees yet so I have only taken few long range test shots which are pretty much in line with what could be expected at this price range.

As also expected, video looks just great even when pixel peepers would not be happy with still images and extremely shallow DOF combined with weird bokeh will provide some fun in the summer. This is a pure novelty lens after all. Bird photographers should also not expect 2500€ performance out of 250€ lens (unless they are planning to shoot video).

I still believe that you didn't fully grasp the fact that the "window" crop was about 1000*800 pixels from the center of 20MP image. Try cropping the same window from an image taken with any 150mm lens. How many pixels would that leave? Enough to blow it up to a stamp maybe. That being said, if all you need is sharpness in long-range still images, pretty much any budget zoom with 300mm range would be better.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom