1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kenko Extension Tubes

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by shizlefonizle, Sep 30, 2012.

1. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    So we had several threads on these tubes and from user reports, it seems that the 2 tubes did not stack with the Panasonic Leica 45mm. This incompatibility is even listed on the Adorama website, but Kenko's updated (4/12) compatibility list shows that the tubes can be stacked. Can anyone confirm this?

2. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    I wanted to update this thread, I took the risk and bought the set of extension tubes and they work with the PL 45mm for any of you that were wondering. Pics coming soon...

• Like Like x 3
  3. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    I also have trouble with the stacked tubes — 10 + 16 — on my 45mm Pana Leica macro. Singly they are fine. However the combo of stacked tubes works beautifully on the Pana 100-300 and my ancient Leica Dual-range Summicron 50mm f2. On my Pana 14mm f2.5, stacking works but the closest focus requires removal of the UV filter! My 25mm F1.4 Pana Leica is unusable with stacked tubes. I specifically bought the set of tubes to add to the 45mm macro's abilities, so the inability to use stacked tubes is a huge disappointment. However, being able to get down to a 13x7.3mm object size [in my favourite 16/9 aspect ratio] with the 45mm macro at closest focus is spectacular. Check out these recent pics taken with the 45 +16mm tube: https://www.mu-43.com/gallery/macro-2b97-viva-extension-tubes-21/p30914-wandering-2c-wandering.html

• Like Like x 1
  4. Harmonica

Harmonica Mu-43 Regular

Mar 15, 2012
    Finland
    Hello,

Would be nice to know has anyone yet tested these Kenko extension tubes together with new Olympus 60mm f2.8 macro lens? How about use of stacked tubes by then?

5. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

New ones work fine

I contacted Kenko and they agreed to exchange mine. The new ones work just fine. I've used it with several lens, including the 45 mm. I too had intentions of updating the comments, but the "honey-do" jobs took priority!

6. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks to Wasabi Bob, I will try to get an exchange on mine... trouble is I use them all the time. How long did the exchange take and how did you contact them? I bought mine through B&H. Here is another of my spider friends... Eight eyes, eight legs... complex dude. - Mu-43 Gallery
    Thanks again.

7. Wasabi Bob

Go to Kenko directly

It was about a 1 week turn around. I contacted Kenko directly. I explained that I use the 45 mm lens and the first release would not allow both to be used at the same time.

I sent mine back and they shipped the replacement as soon as they received it.
    You can try B&H first, but I'm not sure if they are exchanging them.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wasabi Bob

45 mm + both extensions

Here's an example using the 45 mm + both extensions.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/8116748062/" title="In God We Trust by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 8116748062_1236c85a3d_c. "800" height="450" alt="In God We Trust"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  9. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Thanks to WB and more on tubes...

Hi WB, thanks for the example of the stacked tubes and 45mm f2.8. I will return my, just can't wait to get that 10=16mm stack going. What do you reckon is the smallest field [width x height of the object] you are covering with the 45 macro plus stacked tubes [say in 4/3 aspect]?

10. monchan

monchan Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 7, 2012
    Tottori City, Japan
    I was just reading about this on the japanese kenko site and they have a message
    explaining about this and that they will exchange any of the old for the new.
    I guess that will be their stance in any country.

11. zuzullo

zuzullo Mu-43 Regular

45-200mm anyone?
    I am also ordering the OLYMPUS 75mm. Wondering what the working distance would be like?

12. iGonzoid

iGonzoid Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Tasmania, Australia
    Kenko exchange.

Wow, thanks for all the info on the exchange. I will do so soonest. WB's pic of the surface of a coin with 45 + stacked tubes makes my mouth water! I long to see some of my spider friends at even closer quarters. Thanks again.

13. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I have the tubes and the 75mm.

Both tubes is about 11.5"/29.2cm
    10mm tube is about 15.5"/39.3cm
    16mm tube is about 14"/35.5cm
    ***FYI: That's from the sensor plane to the in focus object as it's closest focusing distance, at f1.8. These aren't EXACT measurements, as I did them pretty quick- but should give you a pretty close estimate on what it is. Shave off 4"-5" for the length of the lens + tubes, and you've got about 6"-7"/15.3cm-17.8 from the front element in focus.

Tubes will get you better close focusing with wide angles.

14. apogee

apogee New to Mu-43

Dec 14, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    How's the performance with the pl25 1.4? Can you post sample images please?
    Thanks