Kenko Extension Tubes!

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mister_roboto, Jul 14, 2012.

1. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I used to love playing around with extension tubes and teleconverters on my film camera days, back when I was was a wee lad and could only afford 1 lens and 2-3 rolls a month. So FINALLY- I got extension tubes that aren't "dumb," I've always been put off by focus by wire lenses in general, and not having electrical contacts to control aperture and focus etc. So these have me stoked, and I got them a little less than the going rate (even better!).

I did find that I didn't have the problems that other people had- I could stack them on most any lens and still get it to work, stacked on the Panasonic 14mm, 20mm worked with no problems. It runs into the problem of close focusing of course- the stacked 10mm+16mm with the 14mm lens gave me an impossibly close focusing distance from the front element that would make it useless in any practical use.

Although I'm a "photo-enthusiast" I also am a fine artist (fartist), and do some photography in my art work at times and almost exclusively with film + virtually all macro- and by no means do I consider myself a "pro." So being able to combine my art work equipment with my enthusiast hobby equipment is A++.

Olympus 12-50mm w/10mm&16mm stacked (a little shy-ish of 1:1 macro):
    7570136408_bcc08f7ddb.

Olympus 12-50mm w/o tubes in "macro mode":
    7570133050_6126e45db2.

and just for size reference:
    7570129262_5575b92fdb.

Crazy Panasonic 14mm w/ 10mm&16mm tubes stacked:
    7570164470_1d90cb339c_c.

What the Panasonic 14mm was pointed at:
    7570160262_35c7b1821b_c.

Heh- I was also kind of tickled that they included the equations for figuring out the magnification, for some reason I wasn't expecting that- I was just expecting tubes in a box. I guess that's just my experiences from buying "dumb" tubes + adapters on e-bay :wink::
    7570220628_1304e5cf03_c.

The tubes should help streamline my own art, and should make for some fun on hikes (I'm they guy who likes to take photos of slime mold on hikes).

2. rdearth53

rdearth53 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2012
    Wadsworth, Ohio
    Hi! It seems like you enjoying the extension tubes. Do you think they are worth the asking price? Thanks!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mu-43 App

3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I... don't know :wink:

I got them for a little under $150 USD, but it does feel still a bit high to me. However- if you're going to get a lot of use out of them they're pretty great. The thing that I noticed right away was the build quality- all metal and great construction, they aren't cheap in the build at all. It's also pretty much the only thing you can use on native lenses to control focus and aperture. So for me- I think they'll be worth it, to have on the fly if I want to zoom in on something.

Personally- I'd love a good high quality teleconverter some day in ยต4/3 :thumbup:

4. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I did seriously consider them, but thought they were rather expensive for what the were, given their limitations.

I was lucky enough to pick up instead, a used mint 55mm Micro Nikkor + extension tube for exactly the same money.

https://www.mu-43.com/f40/latest-piece-legacy-glass-29404/

• Like Like x 1