1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Kenko DG Extension Tube Set for Micro Four Thirds Lenses In Stock at B&H Photo

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, May 24, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    B&H Photo has the Kenko DG Extension Tube Set in stock for $179.

Direct link: Kenko DG Extension Tube Set for Micro Four Thirds AEXTUBEDGM43

The DG Extension Tube Set for Micro Four Thirds Lenses by Kenko is a set of two extension tubes for Micro 4/3 cameras. This set has tubes of 10 mm and 16mm. The tubes can be used individually or in combination to obtain the desired magnification.

Extension tubes are hollow cylinders without optics designed to enable a camera's lens to focus closer than its minimum focusing distance and therefore provide more magnification. They are placed between the lens and body and are particularly useful in allowing lenses without macro capability to shoot macro.

An extension tube increases lens magnification by an amount equal to the extension distance divided by the lens focal length. For example, the Olympus 45mm f/1.8 lens offers a magnification of 0.11X, and after adding both tubes )10mm and 16mm), the new magnification will be 0.11X + (26/45)X = 0.69X.

Kenko's Auto Focus extension tubes are designed with all the circuitry and mechanical coupling to maintain auto focus and TTL auto exposure with Micro Four Thirds lenses.

Note:
    1. When using extension tubes the lens will not focus to infinity. The focus range will be greatly limited to a very close focusing distance.
    2. There is light fall off when using any extension tube, sometimes the equivalent of 3 f-stops of light is lost when using multiple extension tubes together. This light loss can affect the camera's ability to auto focus.

Update: I've been contacted by a reader that the tubes work fine individually but when combined will not communicate the lens data (lens communication problem) when combining the two tubes. This was confirmed by another reader.

The above links contain our affiliate code so that B&H credits us for referring you so long as you click out link prior to putting the item in your "shopping cart". Your price is unaffected. Thanks for supporting Mu-43.com!

• Like Like x 7
  2. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nice! Now any lens can be a macro, well at least focus close. What I want to see is a tele-extender with full AF connections.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    hm..

Hm, I wasn't aware of the math behind it. I was also not aware of the light fall off. So for the 45mm lenses, the PL45 with 1:1 is better than the OL45/+26mm tubes = 1:0.67

Considering that at the moment I really only take a 3-4x prime kit (7.5,14,20,45) and leave all of my other lenses at home... I think I'm going to have to do some more math for the other lenses and see if this will be just a toy or worth getting. Honestly, I think I'd rather wait for teleconverters.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yes, the dedicated macro is a better choice for macro. On the other hand, 0.67X is very respectable for macro-ish photography. You can be a stickler and say that macro by definition is at least 1X, but even the ZD 50/2 macro offers only 0.5X.

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I personally prefer to use a close-up set to extension tubes or the old reverse the lens trick. The big advantage these tubes have is keeping the electrical connections for AF and exposure.

6. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    The PL45 is also good because it can focus to a variety of distances. Extension tubes limit your camera-to-subject distance.

Here's a link to a calculator for extension tube magnification:

Macro Extension Tubes & Close-up Lenses

• Like Like x 1
  7. turquoisewords

turquoisewords New to Mu-43

May 1, 2012
    Boulder Colorado
    macro focusing

When ever I do macro (and bear in mind that I am a noob!) I both a) use a tripod, and b) use manual focus (because I am using a legacy lens + adapter for my PEN E-PL1). So I don't see much of an advantage to having auto-focus. I bought a set of three u43 extension tubes on ebay for cheap (still waiting for delivery).

But do not let me deter you from purchasing these!

BTW, my macro lens was bought on ebay (Kiron 35-135mm f/3.5-4.5 macro) for around $20. It seems to take pretty good pictures from what I can see.

If I could figure out how to upload some images with this post, I would :=)

8. Yes, especially given that it will still focus to infinity. However, even a dedicated macro lens suffers from light fall-off as it approaches minimum focusing distance, generally in the order of about two stops.

• Like Like x 1
  9. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Any image stored on the web that is not too big can be linked to a post. Just right click on the image, copy the address, open a post box here, click on the little yellow mountain pic in the conrol panel, paste your image address in the box that pops up ( only keep one 'http://" designation ) and you've done it. You can upload pics from you computer sized for the web (72 ppi is enough) [ as well as not too many inches wide ) to this site's gallery and when you do there will be a box below with your image address from which you can copy for pasting to a thread. :thumbup:

10. turquoisewords

turquoisewords New to Mu-43

May 1, 2012
    Boulder Colorado
    Thanks for the tips. Here's two of my macro shots. Since used with an adapter (manual everything) I don't have the EXIF info and never wrote down the iso/aperture/shutter.
    The first was taken outside and probably ISO 100; the second inside.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Wow - that's excellent magnification! And I imagine the quality will be significantly better than even a good close up filter. Looks like a very handy combination.

DH

12. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I tried a couple of cheapish legacy 'macro' lenses only to realise that the EPL1 kit lens does a better close up job than those did.
    This is the mark 1 14-42 kit lens with no attachments, hand held - the boxes are almost exactly 1cm across:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/safetytrousers/7273212848/" title="14-42 close test 3 by Safetytrousers, on Flickr">"640" height="336" alt="14-42 close test 3"></a>

What I didn't realise at first was that the closest focusing distance remains the same no matter what zoom level you have the lens on.

13. romzL

romzL Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2012
    romz
    what will be the magnification of these tubes when added to the Oly 12-50? would it be 1:1?

14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    The magnification of the Oly 12-50 is 0.36. If you add the 16mm tube, it will be 0.36 + (16/50) = 0.68. If you combine both tubes, it will be 0.36 + (26/50) = 0.88 so not quite 1:1 but very close.

Please note that I've been contacted by a reader that the tubes work fine individually but when combined will not communicate the lens data (lens communication problem) when combining the two tubes. This was confirmed to be the case, at least for some lenses, by another reader.

15. cannedpineapples

cannedpineapples New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2011
    I have a couple of questions for this...

1) Will it adjust the IBIS of the Oly cameras appropriately?
    2) Does it retain AF?
    3) Will this help my ZD 50/2 get to 1:1?

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    1) Will it adjust the IBIS of the Oly cameras appropriately?

Don't know but I'm guessing yes.

2) Does it retain AF?

Yes, except that combining both tubes together doesn't work, at least for some lenses.

3) Will this help my ZD 50/2 get to 1:1?

Yes, combining the tubes will get it to 1:1 although you may lose AF. Using one tube will get it to 0.82X

• Like Like x 1
  17. cannedpineapples

cannedpineapples New to Mu-43

Aug 9, 2011
    That's awesome. Would anyone who's tested with 1) comment? I ask because it's obvious to me setting "50mm" for a manual '50mm' macro lens is not the right setting, and if the same thing happens in this case then it may not be ideal... (I'm aiming for hand-held macro with IBIS on)

18. Ninja

Ninja Mu-43 Regular

Jan 30, 2010
    That really is odd. All the electrical contacts do is make an electric connection between the body and lens. I have to wonder if somebody failed to correctly take into account the resistance of the second extension tube when they are stacked.

It definitely shows a lack of testing and/or QC. We will have to see if "they are all that way."

19. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Update: I've been contacted by a reader that the tubes work fine individually but when combined will not communicate the lens data (lens communication problem) when combining the two tubes. This was confirmed by another reader.

Conflicting reports, if they don't work together then surely it would hve been spotted here....

Video Review: Kenko DG Extension Tubes For Micro Four Thirds

• Like Like x 1
  20. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Curious.

I would very much like to own these. Looking forward to hearing reports on their use on other lenses.