Kenko AC Close-Up No. 3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by stratokaster, Mar 23, 2011.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I wanted to try close-up photography, but didn't want to buy a dedicated macro lens (although Panaleica 45mm is nice, it's also quite expensive). I solved this dilemma by buying an achromatic close-up filter - Kenko AC Close-Up No. 3.

This thing is Japanese through and through :) Its box and manual don't have a single word in English. This is how it looks like:

bUGQZdHYddz4g9yjm4N4.

The filter apparently is coated and shows deep violet reflections.

And this is the first shot I've made with this filter paired with Canon FDn 50mm f/1.8 lens:

365eJ44etYWZ9wRbXhrz.

Full size: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/365eJ44etYWZ9wRbXhrz.jpg

It's only very slightly cropped. Image quality is VERY decent, I can't find a hint of chromatic aberration (Canon 50/1.8 shows some strong spherochromatism, but it's ok). Sharpness is excellent.

• Like Like x 2
  2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    that is a good conversion lens, with 3 diopter. 3-4 diopters are good for shorter fl lenses like the 50. Looks pretty sharp in the center focus, and good detail retentions. What f-stop did you use, good dof with the close up. Edge softness is expected with all conversion lenses. But a light crop will fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I used f/5.6 and ISO 800.

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Looks good. You really need to stop down to get the required depth of field and f/11 would be a better bet. Another althernative is to use focus stacking software.

5. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Yep, I think f/8 or f/11 would be more appropriate, but I didn't have enough light.

6. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Another shot made with Canon FDn 50mm f/1.8 with Kenko AC Close-up No. 3 at f/5.6:

622449w.

Click to open larger version.

• Like Like x 1