1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Kenko AC Close-Up No. 3

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by stratokaster, Mar 23, 2011.

1. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Dublin, IE
    Pavel
    I wanted to try close-up photography, but didn't want to buy a dedicated macro lens (although Panaleica 45mm is nice, it's also quite expensive). I solved this dilemma by buying an achromatic close-up filter - Kenko AC Close-Up No. 3.

This thing is Japanese through and through :)  Its box and manual don't have a single word in English. This is how it looks like:

bUGQZdHYddz4g9yjm4N4.

The filter apparently is coated and shows deep violet reflections.

And this is the first shot I've made with this filter paired with Canon FDn 50mm f/1.8 lens:

365eJ44etYWZ9wRbXhrz.

Full size: http://photo.torba.com/images/pavel.urusov/f/365eJ44etYWZ9wRbXhrz.jpg

It's only very slightly cropped. Image quality is VERY decent, I can't find a hint of chromatic aberration (Canon 50/1.8 shows some strong spherochromatism, but it's ok). Sharpness is excellent.

• Like Like x 2
  2. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    that is a good conversion lens, with 3 diopter. 3-4 diopters are good for shorter fl lenses like the 50. Looks pretty sharp in the center focus, and good detail retentions. What f-stop did you use, good dof with the close up. Edge softness is expected with all conversion lenses. But a light crop will fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Dublin, IE
    Pavel
    I used f/5.6 and ISO 800.

4. PeterB666

PeterB666 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 14, 2010
    Tura Beach, Australia
    Peter
    Looks good. You really need to stop down to get the required depth of field and f/11 would be a better bet. Another althernative is to use focus stacking software.

5. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Dublin, IE
    Pavel
    Yep, I think f/8 or f/11 would be more appropriate, but I didn't have enough light.

6. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Dublin, IE
    Pavel
    Another shot made with Canon FDn 50mm f/1.8 with Kenko AC Close-up No. 3 at f/5.6:

622449w.

Click to open larger version.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.