Kenko 400mm

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by microfourthirdsnut, Apr 12, 2013.

1. microfourthirdsnut

microfourthirdsnut Mu-43 Regular

Oct 8, 2012
    Anyone going to try this on the OM-D for birding? Or is anyone already using it and that can post a few samples?
    I went out birding today and I need something longer than the 300mm I was thinking of trying to get a leica 400mm f6.8 but the prices are getting crazy so thinking of getting the kenko 400mm f/8 I know it is slow but the price is right and it is not like carrying a bazoka.

John

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Why bother with the native mount when it is a fully manual lens? You should be able to find a sigma 600mm f8 for 1/3 the price on ebay (plus the $20-30 for a mount-specific adapter). It isn't that much larger, and still shorter than your 100-300mm or 75-300mm. On the omd it should still be pretty hand holdable about 1/300th to 1/400th shutter speed.

3. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    John,
    I have done very little with the OMD, but here is an example of some long reach imaging. I had seen a number of GBHs flying around this rookery earlier in the morning, but when I got back with my camera, the males (I assume) were out hunting/philandering, and only three females were on their eggs in nests. This was the most visible of the females that I saw.

P4070696a1_zpsf3f9a041.

This was taken with the OMD, a Nikkor 500mm f/8 Reflex and Tamron 1.4X TC. Exposure at 1/2500, f/8 and ISO2000.

4. scott

scott Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2010
    I've been extremely frustrated with all the mirror lenses I have tried. The images are always really soft (maybe from internal reflections?), and the contrast is abysmal. You can adjust, but the quality is still pretty poor.

5. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    As mirror lenses go the Sigma 600mm f8 is decent. Mirror lenses are a bit difficult to focus, require contrast adjustment in post processing and have a lower image quality plus donut bokeh. If you can live with all that, you can get some decent images. The 'king' of mirror lenses is the Tamron adaptall 500mm f8 as far as IQ goes, then Tokina, next Sigma. I have seen and taken some decent images with these lenses but technique and post processing is critical (for me anyway). I have owned the Tamron 500mm, Tokina 500mm and Sigma 600mm. The Sigma falls near the Tokina in IQ. If you really want one, offer the guy $125 for the white one. He may take it or counter your offer.

Sigma Mirror Telephoto Multi Coated 1 8 F 600mm Lens Fits Canon | eBay

Tamron review: Tamron Adaptall-2 SP 500mm f/8 (mirror) (55BB) Lens Reviews - Tamron Adaptall Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Tokina review: Tokina 500mm f8 Mirror Lens Lens Reviews - Tokina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Sigma review: Sigma 600mm F8 Mirror Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

6. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    Just a question. Wouldn't a good 300mm prime adapted lens work better even if you had to crop?