1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Ken Rockwell shows his ignorance again while reviewing the XT2

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by pdk42, Jul 18, 2016.

1. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Fuji X-T2 Review

I'm pretty sure that 4/3 and u43 take that crown.

WTF - is this guy for real!

... that's almost unusable since you have to press the lock button and use two fingers to turn it!

What a jerk!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    LOL

he's been giving bad advice for over a decade. I will admit, back when I was first figuring things out, I read his site and even bought a lens or two on his recommendation. The asinine Nikon 18-200mm VR was one of my earlier purchases for my D70. A mediocre super-zoom that he claimed was the best thing since sliced milk. Mine suffered from zoom creep when I lowered the lens and ended up full of dust from the massive amount of suction caused by the telescoping barrel. Made a mess of my sensor too.

Nice to see he's still getting things mostly crooked.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    I think Ken gets his rockwells off seeing how many dopes believe his stuff.

He throws in occasional facts to throw you off the scent

:)

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gravijaflare

gravijaflare Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2014
    A planet called Gaia
    that x-t2 review is basically just a re-hash of his x-t1 review here:

Fuji X-T1 Review

some info have been updated, while some are not. makes me wonder if he does this with his other "reviews" as well..

while this is true with the x-t1, it's not with the x-t2. the x-t2 fortunately uses a dial locking mechanism similar to the e-m5 II, so it's more usable now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    I've used his site over the years, he actually has a good listing of Nikon lens specs with information on the different versions of many.

But his reviews? A while ago I came to agree with someone that thought his site generated income through click count. Is there a better way to generate click count than generating controversy?

6. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    I see forums where people are implored not to click on his site, in fact very often he is not even named for fear that someone will generate some clickbait for him.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. derelict

derelict Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2015
    I will never understand why people care about this stuff so much. Do you like what you have? Great, keep using it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yep, clickbait

9. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Re-reading the "review" (ah - succumbed to the click-bait again!), it's pretty clear that he's not actually handled the camera. It's just a make-over of his opinions on the X-T1 plus publicly available spec info on the X-T2.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    Same victim here! :laugh1: feel glad that i am not the only one who bought Nikkor 18-200mm VR because of his recommendation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

In these days of newfangled youtube/CSGO gambling scandals it is nice to be reminded of some of the good old internet scams, like all the reviews where there is no actual photo taken with the gear to indicate Ken was even in the same room as an allegedly fantastic thing - expensive but worth every penny - which you should immediately buy through his referral link.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  12. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    My favourite is when he says it's a good lens but it's not *professional* (because it has a plastic filter thread!) so you should buy this other Canikon lens which is 2-3 times more expensive. Let's just ignore that the third party lens is 1-2 stops faster and in a completely different class for most metrics.

Or when he says Sigma uses cheap lens caps which you should leave in the original box and get a Canikon one instead (despite the Canon ones referenced not being center pinch, and the Sigma ones being fantastic - I actually bought about 20 Sigma Art lens caps to replace all my other ones because they're so good. I don't think he's ever actually held one in his hands).

Or claiming a Sigma art lens might not work months or years down the line despite the firmware being user updatable (using a USB dock) unlike a Canon/Nikon lens which has to be sent into the factory.

And many more... I sometimes read his stuff to have a good laugh.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kingsfan

Kingsfan Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    highland park, CA
    Q
    he is pretty much the absolute worst

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    He's the guy who declared that the Canon EOS-M was the "first serious mirrorless camera" - truely a case of clueless reviews mirrorless.

Basically he's anti-everything Olympus except for some of the old XA series film cameras. Can't believe he has any credibility.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Then there's all that stuff on his website about aliens, area 51 and anal probes:

Anal Probe

It's clear it's a wind up, but it's just weird and in bad taste. Odd with a capital Z.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    No one has taken Ken Rockwell seriously for over a decade +++ He's been the laugh of the camera world but he somehow he profits from it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    I guess this sums it all... :doh:

18. Malcolm Schweizer

Malcolm Schweizer Mu-43 Regular

Sep 10, 2012
    US Virgin Islands
    Malcolm Schweizer
    This is funny because I was researching the LUMIX GX8 and landed on his site and was reading a review and said, "I don't think this guy is really reviewing the gear, and I believe this site is just click bait." I don't follow photography forums much, so I had not heard of his reputation.

By the way, found a used GX8 and it should arriv next week- stoked!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    He doesn't have any credibility, the only Olympus digital he has reviewed is the ep-1... He's full of s#!1 and obviously doesn't know anything he isn't paid to know. Minolta and Contax both receive top listing in his review section while Olympus is down under 'other manufacturers'.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't people need to click on his ads or follow his "If you like me buy from...." links for him to make money? You cannot get paid by someone simply viewing a simple web page like his. So go visit all you want to view the stupidity (the internet is like a zoo.... of dumb people).

20. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Some ad referral and affiliate deals are more generous than others, some will count having gone to a store from someone's page within the same day and then later buying literally anything. The other thing is, just look how far up the page his site is when you google any old lens, it's crazy how much that must be worth if he ever wanted to sell it. Not bad for being full of shit and not much else.

I hardly want to single him out either, just look at all the other big photography sites that regularly "round up" or revisit every single camera in every single class and don't have an unkind word to say about any of them. Loads of scrupulously accurate storefront links to buy em all though.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1