Ken Rockwell reviews Fujifilm X-Pro 1

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by CUB, Apr 26, 2012.

1. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Ken Rockwell's review of his Fujifilm X-Pro 1 is now available. He rates his X-Pro 1 very highly, in fact better than his Leica M9.

I am not a Rockwell fan and advise taking anything he writes with a truckload of salt. Sometimes he's hilariously funny without even trying, but much of the time I just scratch my head and wonder what on earth he is talking about. But he does seem to have a following.

There are many criticisms of his previous favourite Leica M9 in his review of the X-Pro 1. It made me wonder exactly what Leica had done to upset him. Anyway, enough of my opinions ... here is the link:

Fuji X-Pro1 Review
  2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I always find my attention wanders a bit when I read his reviews. They read like talking to a very enthusiastic but scattered friend that talks very quickly.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. PSimmons

PSimmons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 24, 2010
    Central Florida
    "The all-metal X-Pro1 is so far ahead of everything else that I'm going to need some new superlatives. Too bad its color rendition isn't that much better than the M9, but the X-Pro1 has far more accurate focus than the M9."
    Is that an accurate comparison if one is a manual focusing camera??
  4. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Ken has always been very tough on Leica. He may like Leica, but he doesn't shy away from ripping it, especially when it comes to the M9's quirks.
  5. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    I've always found him to be a contradictory clueless tool and hack, with a side order of bumbling self-promotion.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    "The Fuji X-Pro1 is a real camera, made of metal, not plastic, for photographers."

So if it was made of plastic it wouldn't be for photographers?

It's just impossible to take him seriously.....
    • Like Like x 2
  7. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    He's definitely polarizing, but I've always found myself agreeing with his conclusions on Nikon gear when I first started shooting. Rockwell is actually great at putting beginners at ease and past their fears, summing up what's really necessary to get started shooting and not to sweat the details at first. His techniques seem sound and I found his articles very easy to read at a time where I didn't have a good grasp on concepts like aperture and exposure. I'd also credit him with getting me interested in ultrawides - until then I was sure I'd be a tele shooter.

To be honest, it's a little scattered and maybe contrary, but that's the first review that's made me want to try the X-Pro1 - most people just bitch about its shortcomings. As soon as they have a proper ultrawide for it, I might give it a go.
  8. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    To be fair he also says Leica isn't for photographers either.

Also real photographers can use Holgas.
  9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    He went on and on about how accurate and fast the af was.... That's not at all what everyone else is saying. He must have a MAGIC xpro1 made of pulverized unicorn horn!

- Eliot
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
  11. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

Was Ken Rockwell ever "accurate"? Were his so-called "reviews" of equipment he had never touched ever "accurate"?

Ken Rockwell is all about hype. In fact he's about the grossest over-hype and it is no wonder that he has run out of superlatives.

He isn't a photographer, he's an immature gearhead who has somehow managed to "earn" a living by publishing hyped-up articles about things he knows very little about - and then having the cheek to ask people to pay for enjoying his ignorant outbursts. Yes, I realise most of us have ignorant outbursts from time to time, myself included, but unlike Ken we lack the guile to ask other people to fund them. I suppose I should admire him for his innovative entrepreneurial skills, but I cannot, because so much of what he says is just plain wrong.

We should be grateful that he has never taken an interest in m4/3. :rolleyes:
  12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I get more sustenance out of junk food.... I couldn't even get through the article.
  13. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    The X-Pro1 is slower than the OMD & the E-P3 (from what I've seen from youtube video reviews), but it is faster than my E-PL2!

According to my Adobe Bridge info, I've only shot 682 images, due to still not having RAW support from Adobe, but out of the 682 only 4 shots were out of focus, and only twice did my AF hunt for focus (which was frustrating as hell, but it could have been because I was sitting too close to the subject)

So at least for me, its fast enough, but not lighting fast (which I wish it was..) :smile:
  14. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    I always get Rockwell's reviews with a sizeable bucket of salt.

That said, I'd humbly suggest we all refrain from statements like "he is no photographer", concerning anyone. Everyone that enjoys taking pictures, on a regular basis, even as a complete amateur, is a photographer. We can argue until Kingdom come whether he is a "good" or "bad" photographer and that will be a matter of opinion and taste, as for any form of art.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    I think that's by design. He makes money off of page clicks (advertising). As such, it's in his interest to stir up controversy, and making frequent outrageous pronouncements does the trick.

Unfortunately, he has managed to get his site ranked highly in google's search, which means a lot of new photographers are going to read his tripe and possibly be confused by it.

16. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Oh, he did, albeit really quickly : Olympus PEN E-P1

In the same vein of reviewers, I much prefer Steven Huff. At least, the latter knows his own limits and is generally a more entertaining writer; bonus, he's a :43: lover. Ken Rockwell is so full of himself I can't stand reading more than 15 lines of his articles at once.

17. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I read most of these guys with a grain of salt, ie Steve Huff, Kirk Tuck, and Thom Hogan. Some of the stuff is useful, some of its not.
  18. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    That's a pretty well balanced review. Basically he wanted a EP3 but by the time the EP3 came out, he ended up buying the Fuji X100.
  19. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
  20. songs2001

Jul 8, 2011
    Most people use their cameras to take pictures of their kids and vacations, with Ken's reviews, it's how most people use their cameras.

For Zack's work a Fuji isn't enough, he bought a MF system, so why bother reading his views.