1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

kelbytraining.com - early impressions/user review

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by madtownkeith, Feb 16, 2013.

1. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI
    I recently decided to try to focus more of my photography attention at getting better at post processing. I've bought a couple books in the past, read some websites, and watched some videos, but never really felt like I knew what I was doing, so I wanted something more like a class.

There are tons of options out there on the web, and it can be pretty overwhelming trying to figure out which one might be worth the time and/or money. One of the sites that came up in my search was kelbytraining.com. I recognized the Kelby name, as he's written a lot of books on lightroom and such, so I decided to check that one out.

What I found is a pretty amazing resource on just about all things photography, not just lightroom or photoshop. I watched a couple of the sample videos, and decided to give the site a try with a one month membership (there are one month, and one year memberships). This gave me unlimited access to all of the videos.

I started with the in depth develop module for lightroom 4, and quickly found that this was what I was looking for. Step by step instructions and explanations of all the various sliders, easy to follow videos showing the effects, and they're all broken into small (5-10 minute) clips, so it's easy to find what you're looking for and move on, or you can sit through the full set. The site keeps track of your history, so its easy to go back and view them again as needed.

I also spent some time watching a tutorial ("light it, shoot it, retouch it, on a budget") about choosing and using an off camera flash with a soft box, that goes through gear selection, to indoor and outdoor shoots, and then goes through the post processing on the various types of images shot. Really learned a lot, and plan on going with the one year plan when my month runs out. Seems like money well spent, vs constantly chasing new gear, which I've been guilty of all too often in the past.

I'm in no way connected to kelbytraining.com - just a satisfied (and impressed) user who thought others might find the info useful too.

Keith

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bob T

Bob T Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2012
    Carol Stream, IL
    Keith...

Does kelbytraining.com provide exercise files for download?

I've been doing the lynda.com training, and I like that I can download the pictures used in the training to follow along with the lesson.

3. madtownkeith

madtownkeith Mu-43 Regular

Jan 28, 2013
    Sun Prairie, WI

Bob - not that I'm aware of. That would certainly be nice to see if you can do the exact same things as the instructor.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have been a fan of Scott Kelby for many years and more recently Matt Kloskowski, he does a lot of Lightroom stuff. I have been tempted to join KelbyTraining but I have been trying to get my employer to pay for it{I do audio/video/graphics/photography for a church children's ministry}. Anyway, I do know that according to thier "howitworks" page they do have files for the classes.
    How it Works | KelbyTraining.com Not sure how you get the files since I am not a member but they must have them someplace.

If anyone is looking for some free tutorial videos on Lightroom here is the best place I have found.
    Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips « Online Photoshop Lightroom Tutorials and Tips with Matt Kloskowski Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips
    BTW it is part of the Kelby Media Group{I think they put it up to entice people to join KelbyTraining!}.

5. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin