1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

KEH credit/debit card data breach

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WithOpenedEyes, May 7, 2016.

1. Ran across guys talking about this on the Rangefinderforum. Seems like this happened a week or so ago. Any KEH buyers seen odd transactions in their accounts? Last purchase I made was in July, so I think I'm OK...although I haven't checked for odd activity. Probably a good idea.

2. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    I got the letter from KEH this week. My card and info was part of the breach. So far nothing out of the ordinary (fingers crossed). They did put me on credit monitoring for free for a year. It still is frustrating.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I used PayPal with them, thankfully.

4. tkbslc

5. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    I'm just saying if you shop online, nothing is absolutely safe.

Here's a guy who had money stolen from his PayPal account.

My PayPal account has been hacked – michaelwhite.online

So it's possible. Just keep an eye on your accounts and payments and all is good. The CC companies are good are refunding fraudulent purchases.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  6. Feel like going to the bank every payday and taking it all out...leave my checking account empty. Can't steal what isn't there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    Haha! I hear ya! Under the mattress. Safest place. :)

8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Yikes - sounds like a PCI DSS fail. Why are they even holding CC data?

If you're a customer, make sure you know how a business handles your personal and cc data before transacting with them. If you're a business (large or small) make yourself aware of the PCI DSS and its requirements around securing data (which encompasses personal information as well as credit card data).

9. tkbslc

Oh, of course. Shopping in store can leave you vulnerable, too, as often that data is breachable, too. Checks can be forged. Cash can be lost or stolen.

10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I would not assume that you are OK, and yes it is a good idea to check for odd activity. I got caught up in the Adobe breach from a transaction that happened years ago. I suspect that they can hold on to data for longer than we can imagine.

Good luck,

--Ken

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

On that basis I would be cancelling that card & getting a new one (with new number). Why keep using a card number that someone has got that shouldn't & may one day attempt to use?

12. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    It's a fact of life these days.

13. Strick

Strick Mu-43 Regular

Jan 8, 2013
    Columbia, MD
    Rob
    Between my monitoring my CC statements and purchases, the banks lookout for fraudulent purchases and the credit monitoring, I'm not worried. Like Speedliner says "It's a fact of life these days." Like I mentioned earlier, if you stay on top of your credit you will fine most of the time. If this was happening every week or I noticed any fraudulent activity then the card will be cancelled.

Have fun and shop safely!!

14. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    My PayPal account is linked to a seldom-used checking account that never has as much as $100 in it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Some years ago I had some moron try & charge $20,000 to my card (not a possible chance anyhow), but the bank immediately froze that account & issued me with a new account/card. It's what you do if there is a risk on that card number. Close it & start again.

16. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I was caught by the KEH hackers. I bought some UV filters from them, and my credit card info was used to scam some online retailers a week later. My credit card company alerted me, and cancelled the number after we talked. I didn't know KEH was the leak until they sent me a letter last week.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. DeoreDX

DeoreDX Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 13, 2013
    Alabama
    You get a physical letter from them? I haven't seen anything. Ordered something from them mid April.

18. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    The breach happened in early March, and hopefully was cleaned up in that time frame. Yes, I got letter via US mail. I have to find it if I want to subscribe to the credit monitor service.

Last time I used one, I used Equifax to freeze the opening of any new accounts under my SS number. That was so long ago.

19. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle