1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Keeping vs Selling...

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by sigamy, Aug 23, 2014.

1. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    Hi all,

Just looking for some opinions/advice on GAS. These are not life changing decisions by any stretch but I'm just not sure what to do.

I have a GH3, my 11 year old has a G5, and we have a GX1 with the 14-42PZ. Just this summer I got a Lumix TS3 (used on ebay for $99) for beach and water park. We have 4 top of the line smart phones in the house. The GX1 and PZ lens are sitting here unused.

I got the used GX1 for my wife. I also liked the idea of having a small M4/3 body around for maybe hiking or street work. Then I traded for the 14-42mm PZ, making a nice small pair for the GX1. yes, I know about some of the issues with this pair.

My wife now uses her iPhone 5S for 90% of her photography. I take 90% of the kids sports and school events with the GH3.

And now I have the TS3 that could probably handle the hiking duties. It won't match GX1 but it should be "good enough".

I'm thinking I should sell this pair and put the $300 toward cable bill or something. It kills me that we have 3 good cameras in the house and one is sitting here unused.

But then I pick up the GX1. I love it. I love the size and just how it feels in the hand. I *want* to use it. But, I realize I need the LVF2 for it. I need a LVF. So, now I need to spend $150 to make the camera "more useable". Next the GAS really kicks in and I think that used GX7's are only $500...If i sell the GX1, that is only $200-$250...

This goes on and on...

So, what do you all do when you have unused but loved gear sitting around? Is it better to keep it or sell it off?

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    If I haven't touched something for a year then they go on the chopping block. That goes to anything I own. I can't speak for my better half though.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Do you never see yourself taking GX1 instead of the larger GH3 with you somewhere? If not, I suppose you can sell it. It won't get you much money at this point, but if you don't use it at all, it's better than nothing.

It's fine without the viewfinder . I recently forgot to take viewfinder with me when going somewherer, and surprisingly it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. You don't get the immediate satisfaction of a great result that you can with a viewfinder, but it's not bad at all.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I gotta think you would prefer the GH3 to the GX1 in almost any situation despite the form factor. The TS3 is likely only for its durability against sand and water; it can't match either other camera in any other category, but it has a legitimate purpose. Your wife prefers the smartphone...

If you need to pay that cable bill, I'd say sell it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    IMHO, I'd keep one small back-up body, and sell anything else I wasn't using. If you have a GH3, the GX1 is a good much smaller compliment to it, although, if you need an EVF, even for this small backup role, that would probably change things for me. I have an E-M1, and an E-PL5 with a VF-2, and I definitely will still be using my E-PL5 as a smaller travel body.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    I'd say hang on to the GX1 just for the sake of having it around... not going to get very much for it now anyway, and it is a nice object to have on the shelf or whatever. I got similar (good) advice on here before when I was contemplating selling my E-P1. Glad I held on to it, it is nice to have around.

• Like Like x 1
  7. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Every time I buy a "backup body" it just sits around until I get annoyed and sell it. I've concluded that a good compact P&S is a better second option for me.

• Like Like x 5
  8. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    I plan and budget for everything; often taking several or many months and, on occasion, years to acquire something.
    With photography equipment, EVERYTHING that I acquire, whether by purchase or barter, is used at least 25-30 times a year. If I develop even an inkling of interest on something photography-related, I simply volunteer a few hours at a Los Angeles soup kitchen or a military family support group. That has ALWAYS brought things into perspective.

I don't attach any "love" to objects. Photography equipment is just tools and I have pared-down to bare bones; selling or donating what I have not needed. The "things" I have kept are the photos.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    Sell it.

I have GAS myself but do not really consider it a problem. I view cameras and photography as related but separate hobbies. If I develop a strong urge to buy some lens I usually go ahead if the cost is reasonable, regardless of whether or not I "need" it. My most recent acquisition was an old Canon FD 300mm f2.8 L that mostly gets used to take pictures of birds and other small critters in my backyard with my GX7. Did I need it? No. Am I enjoying it? Yes. And if (more likely when) I get tired of it I can sell it on eBay just like I bought it so I will not have spent a lot of money on it in the long run.

I seem to be immune to the collector strain of GAS. If I am no longer interested in or using a piece of gear I see no point in keeping it around. There are some pieces of gear I keep long term because they are so useful for actual photography and were not just purchased because I found the gear interesting by itself. But everything else goes. If you find yourself try to find uses for something you never use you do not need it. Unless you have the collector strain of GAS in which case you should put it in the drawers you keep the rest of your unused gear in.

• Like Like x 2
  10. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Mostly if something is not being used round here it goes, there is one exception to this the EP1 as my wife bought it when I passed my photography BA and though its been superseded by the G3's and EPM2 I can not get rid. Now I wonder if I would sell any of the G3's as I would get so little for them, same with the EPM but I can see me using them for a good while yet and one may end up being a car cam anyhow. Also my two year old has her eye on one, she has already got a love of photography, she loves looking at photographs and wants to take them all the time :)

11. Dave Lively

Dave Lively Mu-43 Regular

Mar 16, 2014
    I have a RX100 and GX7 but am going to sell the RX100. I used to often take it hiking instead of my bigger camera because it can fit into a pocket. But I miss the features of my GX7 so much I rarely use it anymore. I either take my GX7 or no camera at all now.

My experience has been that cameras are reliable enough that I do not need a backup. If I was a pro or went on vacations specifically to take pictures it would be different but worst case for me would be having to find other things to enjoy while on vacation. I hope I keep having good luck with cameras not breaking but if one did it would not ruin the vacation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mazg

mazg Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2013
    You need to sell it. It's hard to let stuff go, especially when you lose money on stuff, but better to get something for it now.
    I bought into MFT one year ago but it took until today to let go of my Nikon gear. I don't know why? I haven't used it in a year.... been sitting in a bag... I would have got more money for it a year ago than today.

13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

my approach is this: if its rare and I couldn't acquire it again I keep it, everything else I just flog it when I think I'm not going to need it.

I use paypal for my flogging of stuff and leave the $$$ in there. So when I want to buy camera gear I then draw upon that.

If I was you, I'd sell it, but I would probably not put it onto the bills, but leave the money in a separate "pot" to pick up the "next item of desire".

{conjecture} : ...but then you pick up the GH3 and realise how bloody good the EVF is on it and when you weigh them you realise that in a backpack it makes zero difference either in the pack or holding in your hand. Then you flip out the screen for a shot and realise how bloody handy that is and wonder why you bother with the GX1

I sold my GF1 for the same reasons (I have a GH1 which still does the job for me).

HTH

• Like Like x 1
  14. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    +1

15. RoadTraveler

RoadTraveler Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 23, 2012
    No comment on GAS, as I've bought more gear than I need since switching to MFT 1.5+ years ago (from full-frame Canon), though all of it gets used a least a little and professionally.

In support of your take on the 'feel' of the GX1...

I love these little cameras, own and use several of them, both as my primary compact with a 14-42x PZ, and for all the other zooms and primes I have for MFT. They are not worth much to sell used these days, but have the potential for a long life ahead of them to which they can be exposed. :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  16. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Coming from a guy with 3 MFT bodies, a DP2 Merrill and an RD-1, plus a fairly large collection of glass, this might sound silly, but I'd counsel selling what you do not use unless it's worthless. Then you can apply the money to your newest toy. I need to sell some of my stuff now because frankly, I have too many MFT bodies and glass. Some of the glass sits unused and that's a shame and a waste of $$.

• Like Like x 1
  17. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    I forgot to say that I mostly use my GX1s with a LVF2, which I find excellent, but also use the bodies with the LCD. The added $150 to complete the GX1 bodies surely added to their overall cost, but also greatly added to their functionality.

I've thought I'd someday upgrade to the GX7 (or GX8–10?)... but as infrequently as I use flash, and for the relatively low prices I paid for my GX1 bodies, even including the LVF2s, and as much as I continue like using the tool, I'll likely remain a GX1 fan and user for 2–4 more years.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Usually I sell the gear that I don't use often enough, better to cash in while they still have some value left.

That said, I still have Coolpix 5400 sitting there for ages, as not many camera have 10 minute bulb mode..

19. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I did.

The one weak point on the GX1 that bothered me a bit was video was strictly FULL AUTO. I do almost as much motion picture as still work. I loved the GX1 for it's small form factor, the LVF2 added much usability to it, but when I found a used deal on a GX7 body that suited me, I "jumped on it". The GX1 went to my grandson who was beginning to look for a real camera.

I have GH3s and a GH4 but the GX7 makes almost the perfect "carry around" and travel camera in much the same way the GX1 did.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RoadTraveler

Nov 23, 2012
    That makes lots of sense... I'm almost completey a stills guy, when I infrequently try to shoot a little video, full-auto is fine for me as I don't know what I'm doing. I also have plenty of manual lenses, would they not allow for manual control in video if needed?

Gald the GX7 works for you :smile:

For now my several GX1s will continue to do all of my heavy lifting.