Keeping track of manual lens usage

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mlapinel, Jan 17, 2013.

1. mlapinel

mlapinel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Hi- I'm kind of a newbie here, and I really appreciate the knowledge that I have been able to pick up from more experienced photographers on this forum. Thank you.
    I have been using more manual lenses (Konica and Olympus Pen F) mixed in with my native lenses, and lacking the discipline to note what lens I'm using when I take pictures, I am sometimes left wondering what manual lens I did use.
    Does anyone have a good system for keeping track of what manual lenses are used, especially when you might be switching lenses several times on an outing?
  2. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    After i change lens to manual lens i shot at my fingers.
    One finger is my 50mm and full hand in my 135mm.
    For keeping track in LR I use Lenstagger to put the data in the exif.

LensTagger Lightroom plugin
    • Like Like x 2
  3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I use LensTagger in LightRoom also. Generally since I only shoot with one manual lens at a time, I just go in after an import and update everything with Unknown lens type to the appropriate lenstagger profile. The only thing that doesn't carry over that way is the aperture information, which I either enter manually if I can remember, or skip otherwise.

You can use something like what elavon mentioned to keep track of aperture changes, or you can do what folks did in the film days and write it down in a journal. I've thought about using a shooting journal a few times, but I take a lot of shots am usually on the go too much to have time to take notes between frames. However, you could use an abbreviated form and just note when you make an aperture change and what frame number you were at.
  4. WILLJ8765

WILLJ8765 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 7, 2012
    If you have a phone with a camera, you can take a photo of your camera whenever you change the lens. Make sure the clock in the camera is in sync with the clock in the phone and you can use the time stamps to keep track of which lens was on the camera.

A simple solution, but I'll admit I forget to do it, and I'm still left wondering which lens I used.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    There is also the dandelion chip. Not the best way to do it (seems to involve lots of button presses).
  6. mlapinel

mlapinel Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Thank you all for the information. I do use lightroom, so I'll definitely have to check out that plugin.
  7. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I used to take a picture of the lens before I mounted it on the camera so I knew when I had changed lenses and what lens I had changed to.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I do the same way Nic mentioned. When I'm in the woods I normally have two or three legacy lens. Before I switch to another lens, I hold the lens in my hand and snap a picture. It works good for me. If I get some keepers, I label the individual images.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    this sounds perfecto
    you can snap 5 or so, so a quick scrolling still lets you see the break
  10. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I usually press display to get the next frame number then the video button on top of the Panny G2 and tell the camera the next set of frames will be shot with what lens and/or f-stop I will be using. Usually 5 seconds or less of video. When I get back I make notes from the videos and use ExifToolGUI to enter the data directly into the exif info. I just downloaded Lenstagger and will use that instead within Lightroom. If you shoot only jpegs (not raw + jpeg) audio recording can be turned on for still giving 5 seconds of audio time after the shutter has fired. This may be a Panny feature only.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. papasula

papasula Mu-43 Rookie

May 31, 2012
    You could also print a label to adhere to the inside of each lens cap. Once you switch lenses take a shot of the label as your first shot with that particular lens.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I started using the video method, and set Lightroom to sort by capture time. Amazed I didn't think of using this before. So much easier, even when changing apertures.