Keeping my EM1X...........................Nothing else meets my needs

The GPS receiver is probably sucking power, just like the 12-100 does.
Agree, about not turning the GPS off.
I had a couple people say to turn off the IS on the 12-100, for high shutter speed daylight pics, to extend the battery life. But I really LIKE the way the IS stabilizes the image in the EVF, and makes it MUCH easier to hold the lens on the subject. So NO, I won't turn the IS off, it has value.

It is sucking power but like you will not turn it off. I also like the stabilized view and never turn off IS either. Even when shooting my original EM1 and knowing it would effect CAF ability due to limited processing power I would keep it on for the stabilized view.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
I suspect some of the E-M1X power is getting sucked up having two processors running along with that heat pipe compared to the others. The E-M1 Mark III may be a little more efficient on battery power with its newer processor trying to do what the pair in the E-M1X do.

Added, one of the E-M1X processors was supposedly for the AF system. I have noted that the E-M1X AF speed and accuracy is far ahead of my old E-M1 Mark II. Much better hit rate with the E-M1X with the hummers and their feather detail. Given that, it could be that one dedicated AF processor is doing a lot more work than the other bodies are doing overall and why it sucks down quicker too, imho.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I suspect some of the E-M1X power is getting sucked up having two processors running along with that heat pipe compared to the others. The E-M1 Mark III may be a little more efficient on battery power with its newer processor trying to do what the pair in the E-M1X do.

Added, one of the E-M1X processors was supposedly for the AF system. I have noted that the E-M1X AF speed and accuracy is far ahead of my old E-M1 Mark II. Much better hit rate with the E-M1X with the hummers and their feather detail. Given that, it could be that one dedicated AF processor is doing a lot more work than the other bodies are doing overall and why it sucks down quicker too, imho.

I did not think a heat pipe consumed any power.

But having to use two processors on the X rather than a single on the mk3, that can do the same work, probably does use more power.
But I wonder if the single processor might generate more heat in a single place, making heat dissipation more complex. Or maybe it runs cooler. IC design is way over my head.

Darmok N Jalad

Temba, his aperture wide
A heatpipe won’t consume any power unless there’s a fan at one end, then, it’s actually the fan consuming the power. Heatpipes just help dissipate heat by moving most of it somewhere else. It’s a completely passive process.

In regard to dual processors, it all depends. They may be on a smaller process node or run at different clocks. I suspect they have really low idle power consumption, so it just comes down to when they must ramp up, which should be a bursty situation. Still, 2 CPUs should consume more, just because you have 2x the transistors to power.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I think that while the Truepic IX is enough to do many new functions by itself, it still isn’t as powerful as two Truepic VIIIs working together. But it makes sense that it will draw less power.

One of these days I will test out shooting the X with a USB-C cable running up my sleeve to a coat pocket with a portable Anker PD power source that I use for recharging devices on the road.

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
Hi all- five days and 1500+ photos into my E-M1X experience, and I already love it. The tracking is so much better than the E-M1.2, and this is without doing almost anything to set it up yet. This brings me to my question- has anyone created a spreadsheet on settings for it? I've created modified versions of the Gary Ayton spreadsheet for my previous cameras (and added settings guidance from Robin Wong and others), but the X is much more complicated. I plan to update my spreadsheet & spend the time setting up all my modes, but was wondering if people have used any publicly available "cheat sheets"?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom