Keeping my EM1X...........................Nothing else meets my needs

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
My em1X arrived the sme day as the announcement. I'm keeping it, because I like a grip fpr verticals, especially with long lenses, among many other reasons. The original idea was to get the new long zooms, so I REALLY hope they still get released. I have the P/L 100-400, and it's OK, but I'm not in love with it and want to keep OLY lenses on OLY bodies. Also have the 300/4, and it's a great lens.

I also have a Z7, and among others the 500/5.6. Nice combo, but I prefer zoomz, and m4/3. Still, considering the news, it's nice to have options.
How do you like the 500 with the Z7? That is probably where I am heading in 3ish years if Olympus goes away. Right now the Z series and the 500/5.6 are the only combo of camera and lens that meets my requirements for weather sealing and weight/size. But I am honestly holding out hope that Olympus or whatever they name it continues.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Well about 1 month ago I got my OMD Em1x and have no plan on selling. I also just bought a 300mm F4 and 40-15mm F2.8 lens so I just made a massive investment with Olympus and I staying put. I moved from my old e3 to Nikon about 10 years ago and missed Olympus. Came back and bought the OMD Em5mk2 and was like coming home.
It really is a great camera.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I came across this post blog by Imaging Resource over at DPR and thought others may be interested in reading it. This statement by Dave Etchells (Imaging Resource founder) really hit home with me yesterday while on a 6 mile hike in the rain looking for bear/moose/owls while carrying the X and 300/4 and 150/2 - "I agree with Dave P. that there is absolutely a place for Olympus gear in the marketplace. For people that want lightweight, compact gear with excellent IS and that can really stand up to the elements, there just isn't anything else on the market that meets those needs the way Olympus does."

This really is the system that fits me perfectly.

Real Name
Dave Cherry
How do you like the 500 with the Z7? That is probably where I am heading in 3ish years if Olympus goes away. Right now the Z series and the 500/5.6 are the only combo of camera and lens that meets my requirements for weather sealing and weight/size. But I am honestly holding out hope that Olympus or whatever they name it continues.
The 500 is great with the Z7, as is the 300 pf, or whatever they call it. But, they are not z mount lenses and require the adaptor. Not that big a deal, but one more thing to consider. also, both do well with the 1.4 TC.

I don't shoot as much as you do, and don't have a lot to add. We just bought a second home in the South Carolina low country, so I will get more time to spend doing the kind of shooting I love. I don;t think the Nikon VR is quite as good as the OLY's, but I've been able to handhold pretty well. I haven't done the updates on the Z7 yet that are said to improve the autofocus quite a bit. We'll see. It's nice to have the shallow depth of field in some cases.

I'm with you, I hope OLY stays afloat. REALLY want that 150-400 f/4.5.

Real Name
Jeffrey Behr
All good and interesting comments.. Phocal, your original note is excellent; TYVM for taking the time to write and post it.

I converted in 2017 to Oly's M43 with a E-M1-2 for some months but then succumbed again to the FF siren until this March.. I'm now 76 years old, and my replaced right-shoulder joint is resticted to less than 10 pounds (c. 4KG?) weight, so there no going back to FF for me. I LOVE my E-M1-3's HHHR and use it for MOST shots--I don't shoot much quickly--and also use the pseudo ND-filter mode occasionally.
2020Apr04_Running River_4040003_1500w.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I'm still wrestling with the right lens mix--light weight is more important to me than it is to others, but HIGH rez--I'm a pixelpeepist--is equally important.. After the Oly announcement I started looking at Panasonic models; only the G9 interested me.. Seems the G9 is significantly less expensive than the E-M1-3; I ordered a used one in apparently excellent condition from B&H for only $950.. I know it doesn't have a couple good things the E-M1-3 has, but at least I'll satisfy my curiosity about it..

Probably I'll return the G9 (and the Leica 10-25/1.7 I'm 'playing' with) and wait for a reasonably priced used E-M1-3.. Also just ordered an Oly PRO 12-40/2.8, used, excellent; I hope that will end my seemingly-never-ending search for the RIGHT middler lens. 🙂

Last edited:

ashburtononline

Mu-43 Veteran
Bit disappointed in the battery life of this awesome sucker ... Shot 6 real estate properties today ... 400 images on battery 1 on that camera and it was FLAT ! was hoping for a bit more to be honest. LOVE the shutter though .... nicest sound ever :)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Bit disappointed in the battery life of this awesome sucker ... Shot 6 real estate properties today ... 400 images on battery 1 on that camera and it was FLAT ! was hoping for a bit more to be honest. LOVE the shutter though .... nicest sound ever :)
In my experience with the EM1-mk1 and mk2, battery run time is not based on number of shots, but on power ON time.
With the EM1-mk2
  • I shot over 1,000 pics in 2-1/2 hours and had power left.
  • I shot about 350 pics in 3-1/2 hour, and the battery was empty. This 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 hour run time is consistent, no mater how much or little I shoot.
The other variable is the lens. A power hog like the 12-100 will drain the battery faster than something like the Panasonic 12-60.
On my EM1-mk1, the Panasonic 12-60 will run for 4 hours continuous, the 12-100 only for 2-1/2 hours.

Holoholo55

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Walter
In my experience with the EM1-mk1 and mk2, battery run time is not based on number of shots, but on power ON time.
With the EM1-mk2
  • I shot about 350 pics in 3-1/2 hour, and the battery was empty. This 3-1/2 to 3-3/4 hour run time is consistent, no mater how much or little I shoot.
The other variable is the lens. A power hog like the 12-100 will drain the battery faster than something like the Panasonic 12-60.
On my EM1-mk1, the Panasonic 12-60 will run for 4 hours continuous, the 12-100 only for 2-1/2 hours.
In my experience, the EM1 (BLN-1) would need at least one spare battery for a day's shoot. Better to carry two spares. Woe is me if I forgot to bring fully charged batteries. The BLH-1 battery in the EM1.2 gave much longer life. I could easily go a day of shooting and have power left. This was with a variety of lenses, including the 12-100 on the EM1.2. But, then again, I seldom shoot over 300 shots in a day and I usually turn the camera off in-between shooting unless it is for BIF, in which case the camera stayed on. I bet the X uses up those two batteries in a day's shooting. I'll definitely need to carry spare BLS-50 batteries for the EM5.3 - similar to or shorter than BLN-1 life.

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
I, too, currently see nothing better for my needs than my EM1X and perhaps down the road an E-M1 Mkiii (at a good price). For me, the 150-400 pro is still a critical factor. Without it, the draw of Olympus goes down considerably for me. I certainly see the point some others have made that full frame mirrorless with slower lenses are not much different in weight from Olympus with faster lenses, but that calculus doesn’t work for me when it comes to super telephotos (and in any case I still see further advantages with the super-fast Olympus primes). That said, while I always have expected the 150-400 to be very expensive, like others I have become much more worried about long-term repair servicing after the recent news.

Even if I opt not to pull the trigger on the 150-400 pro, I’m still not switching from Olympus anytime soon. Certainly, the price of switching brands would be extremely high, but also there isn’t anything else out there worth that price. The closest, I think, is probably the Sony A9, But one look at the price and weight of what I would want to buy quickly disabuses me of that notion.

I was very heartened to see that they are tracking for birds will be coming to the EM1X this winter. That was one of the things I was really hoping to get in an update. I also hope that there will be a few more additions, such as the Face detection from the EM1 Mkiii, 60 FPS 4K video, and starry sky AF.

Last edited:

davsv1

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
David
It will take a couple of charge cycles to get the batteries up to max capacity, I also suggest you look at getting and battery USB charger...Anker or Rav power work....just plug into USB port between jobs and you’ll start each job with full batteries..works great

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Something amiss with that little battery life
When I had mine earlier this year and tail end of 2019 I was getting two days shooting at a race meeting out of mine and circa 6000 shots on the two batteries (using low burst shooting most of the time)
The GPS when switched on is known to use and drain battery life (even when the camera is switched off ??)
My previous EM1/2 was also good for circa 2000 shots on a single battery and the 1X is more efficient with battery life
I would have a look into this

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
Just bought a used example (having previously sold my new one)
Having sold my Fuji gear earlier this year to go back to solely M43 I cant see anything better being released now to better the 1X
Found it to be too big as a multi use camera when I had my first example but recently purchased a new EM1/2 which will now serve as my walk around body and the 1X will be used for Motorsports with my long lenses
Managed not to lose too much first time around on the new example and bought this used example for a good price

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
The 500 is great with the Z7, as is the 300 pf, or whatever they call it. But, they are not z mount lenses and require the adaptor. Not that big a deal, but one more thing to consider. also, both do well with the 1.4 TC.

I don't shoot as much as you do, and don't have a lot to add. We just bought a second home in the South Carolina low country, so I will get more time to spend doing the kind of shooting I love. I don;t think the Nikon VR is quite as good as the OLY's, but I've been able to handhold pretty well. I haven't done the updates on the Z7 yet that are said to improve the autofocus quite a bit. We'll see. It's nice to have the shallow depth of field in some cases.

I'm with you, I hope OLY stays afloat. REALLY want that 150-400 f/4.5.
Thanks for the insight. The Z cameras are close to what I am looking for, wish they had the ability of the D5/00.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
All good and interesting comments.. Phocal, your original note is excellent; TYVM for taking the time to write and post it.

I converted in 2017 to Oly's M43 with a E-M1-2 for some months but then succumbed again to the FF siren until this March.. I'm now 76 years old, and my replaced right-shoulder joint is resticted to less than 10 pounds (c. 4KG?) weight, so there no going back to FF for me. I LOVE my E-M1-3's HHHR and use it for MOST shots--I don't shoot much quickly--and also use the pseudo ND-filter mode occasionally.
View attachment 832241
I'm still wrestling with the right lens mix--light weight is more important to me than it is to others, but HIGH rez--I'm a pixelpeepist--is equally important.. After the Oly announcement I started looking at Panasonic models; only the G9 interested me.. Seems the G9 is significantly less expensive than the E-M1-3; I ordered a used one in apparently excellent condition from B&H for only $950.. I know it doesn't have a couple good things the E-M1-3 has, but at least I'll satisfy my curiosity about it..

Probably I'll return the G9 (and the Leica 10-25/1.7 I'm 'playing' with) and wait for a reasonably priced used E-M1-3.. Also just ordered an Oly PRO 12-40/2.8, used, excellent; I hope that will end my seemingly-never-ending search for the RIGHT middler lens. 🙂
You are welcome. My problem with the G9 is that Panasonic seems to like to mimic Olympus functions but from using video and not RAW files.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
With the EM1-mk2
In my experience, the EM1 (BLN-1) would need at least one spare battery for a day's shoot. Better to carry two spares. Woe is me if I forgot to bring fully charged batteries. The BLH-1 battery in the EM1.2 gave much longer life. I could easily go a day of shooting and have power left. This was with a variety of lenses, including the 12-100 on the EM1.2. But, then again, I seldom shoot over 300 shots in a day and I usually turn the camera off in-between shooting unless it is for BIF, in which case the camera stayed on. I bet the X uses up those two batteries in a day's shooting. I'll definitely need to carry spare BLS-50 batteries for the EM5.3 - similar to or shorter than BLN-1 life.
It seems to me that I get less shooting compared to my old EM1 with the smaller batteries. It could be partly due to the batteries needing a few charge cycles but I am also pretty sure it has to do with the GPS, which I am not going to turn off to test since I really like that function (more than I thought I would).

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I, too, currently see nothing better for my needs than my EM1X and perhaps down the road an E-M1 Mkiii (at a good price). For me, the 150-400 pro is still a critical factor. Without it, the draw of Olympus goes down considerably for me. I certainly see the point some others have made that full frame mirrorless with slower lenses are not much different in weight from Olympus with faster lenses, but that calculus doesn’t work for me when it comes to super telephotos (and in any case I still see further advantages with the super-fast Olympus primes). That said, while I always have expected the 150-400 to be very expensive, like others I have become much more worried about long-term repair servicing after the recent news.

Even if I opt not to pull the trigger on the 150-400 pro, I’m still not switching from Olympus anytime soon. Certainly, the price of switching brands would be extremely high, but also there isn’t anything else out there worth that price. The closest, I think, is probably the Sony A9, But one look at the price and weight of what I would want to buy quickly disabuses me of that notion.

I was very heartened to see that they are tracking for birds will be coming to the EM1X this winter. That was one of the things I was really hoping to get in an update. I also hope that there will be a few more additions, such as the Face detection from the EM1 Mkiii, 60 FPS 4K video, and starry sky AF.
There really isn't anything else out there to match the capabilities and features of the EM1X in a mirrorless camera. The A9 is about it, but Sony lens selection is a bit lacking when it comes to telephotos.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Something amiss with that little battery life
When I had mine earlier this year and tail end of 2019 I was getting two days shooting at a race meeting out of mine and circa 6000 shots on the two batteries (using low burst shooting most of the time)
The GPS when switched on is known to use and drain battery life (even when the camera is switched off ??)
My previous EM1/2 was also good for circa 2000 shots on a single battery and the 1X is more efficient with battery life
I would have a look into this
With the camera turned off there is no power going anywhere, so the GPS doesn't still draw power. After sitting for 3 days my X was still at 100% power, power switch off and GPS was turned on when I switched the camera off.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Just bought a used example (having previously sold my new one)
Having sold my Fuji gear earlier this year to go back to solely M43 I cant see anything better being released now to better the 1X
Found it to be too big as a multi use camera when I had my first example but recently purchased a new EM1/2 which will now serve as my walk around body and the 1X will be used for Motorsports with my long lenses
Managed not to lose too much first time around on the new example and bought this used example for a good price
I thought about pairing my X with a mk3 but have basically decided I will pick up another X when I can find a used for the price I want to pay.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It seems to me that I get less shooting compared to my old EM1 with the smaller batteries. It could be partly due to the batteries needing a few charge cycles but I am also pretty sure it has to do with the GPS, which I am not going to turn off to test since I really like that function (more than I thought I would).
The GPS receiver is probably sucking power, just like the 12-100 does.
Agree, about not turning the GPS off.
I had a couple people say to turn off the IS on the 12-100, for high shutter speed daylight pics, to extend the battery life. But I really LIKE the way the IS stabilizes the image in the EVF, and makes it MUCH easier to hold the lens on the subject. So NO, I won't turn the IS off, it has value.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom