1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Keeping Lens Hoods Mounted in Bag

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zensu, Nov 19, 2014.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    I prefer keeping my lens hoods mounted on all my lenses because I hate fumbling with hoods when I want to change lenses. I've found the following helpful to me as just the hoods alone won't prevent dust or debris off the front of the lens even in storage. This is only related to the current lenses I have but leaves a question I'd like to ask at the end of this post.

1 - Rokinon 7.5FE lens comes with a petal mounting lens cap.
    2 - Olympus 9-18 takes the LH-55B hood which allows enough clearance to remove the standard lens cap without removing the hood.
    3 - Olympus 12-40 takes the LH-66 hood which, as above, provides enough clearance to remove the standard lens cap.
    4 - Olympus 17 f1.8 takes the LH-48B hood which takes the 62mm lens cap at the front of the hood.
    5 - Olympus 40-150 (non-R) takes the LH-61D hood which takes the 72mm lens cap at the front of the hood.
    6 - Olympus 60 macro has the sliding hood LH-49 so hood can be pulled back to allow access to the standard lens cap. (I hope Olympus uses this design in future lenses as it has apparently done with new PRO 40-150 f2.8).
    7 - Olympus 75 takes the LH-61F which takes the 67mm lens cap at the front of the hood.

This list may be helpful to others who don't like fiddling with reverse mounted hoods, a few seconds can sometimes make a world of difference.
    The lens not listed is on my wishlist, the Olympus 45 f1.8 which takes the LH-40B lens hood. If someone out there has this hood could you please offer any experience with which lens cap might fit the front of this hood?
    Thanks to all!

PS, B+H has this hood (LH-40B) listed with the 58mm lens cap as an accessory, maybe they have saved me some time researching this question?

• Like Like x 2
  2. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Just got the Olympus 45mm f1.8 with the lens hood from Olympus (LH-40B) and the 62mm lens cap fits the front of the hood so I now have hoods with caps on all of my M43s' lenses. This will save me a lot of hassle changing lens as the hood will always be available on each lens.
    You can also tell I've traded in a couple of lenses to get what IMHO is better glass!

• Like Like x 1
  3. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Where do you get caps for the hood ?

4. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Some I got from B&H and some I got from Ebay.

5. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    So you buy larger pinch caps and they will fit on the front hood, am I correct ?

6. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Yes, I buy the older style center pinch caps that also has the ability to pinch from the outer edge of the cap. This outer edge pinch feature can cause the lens cap to be much more variable in diameter than the older edge only pinch cap or the newer center only pinch cap that comes with the Olympus 12-40 Pro zoom lens. As an example on the Olympus LH-40B lens hood the center only pinch cap is just a hair too large to fit inside the front ring of the hood but the dual pinch (center + edges) can be squeezed just a tiny mm more smaller in diameter and will fit inside the lens hood. This causes a little more tension on the lens caps springs but also gives a more secure fit IMO.

Here is the old style that I use:
    [​IMG][/url]oldstyle by zensu333, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is the new center pinch only style that is too large:
    [​IMG][/url]newstyle by zensu333, on Flickr[/IMG]

Here is the older edge only pinch style that I us rarely:
    [​IMG][/url]oldstyle1 by zensu333, on Flickr[/IMG]

7. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Thanks very much.........

• Like Like x 1
  8. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I do the same thing when I'm only using small lenses (25+45+7.5 in a small bag). With the hoods for the 25mm and 45mm I used a dremel table router thing (ok so I'm not good with names) to put several very small grooves around the edge of the hood about half a mm deep. The grooves allow the caps to have plenty of purchase and stay secured even when pushed around in a bag(before the grooves I used rubber bands).

You could do roughly the same thing with far more ease if you had access to a lathe with a good chuck, the plastic is pretty hard and takes the grooves nicely as long as the tool is sharp and cuts cleanly. In theory the slight shine of the groove may result in lens flare if light reflects off it, personally I'm just laughing that I somehow came up with that as a potential problem.

The other option is the B+W filter style cap, I use one on my 35-100mm f2.0. They're just a friction fit over the outside of the filter, as the filter is smaller than the bayonet for the hood when you remove the reversed hood to put it on normally it pushes the cap off automatically (hopefully falling into your bag, ymmv). They seem to show up on eBay if you search for "B+W filter cap", I got mine from a park bench where it had apparently malfunctioned and missed someones bag...

• Like Like x 1
  9. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Just received the fantastic Pan/L 42.5mm f1.2 from a dear friend and discovered that the lens hood for the 42.5mm is longer that the Oly hood for the 75mm! Weird. I also got the Pan/L 15mm f1.7 and thankfully the lens hood comes with a matching lens cap because no standard filter size for that hood, however the massive hood for the 42.5mm will allow a 77mm lens cap to fit on the front of the hood.
    Bobby

10. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hood sizes are a bit bizarre. I have a metal hood for my 45mm f/1.8 which is much narrower than the official one and yet doesn't vignette.

11. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Wjiang, I agree. I'm keeping the 75mm Oly hood because I paid a ridiculous price for it (an old fool). I'm guessing the 42.5 hood is longer because the front of the lens body is a much larger diameter than the 75mm. The nice thing is that Panasonic supplies their hoods with the lens and Olympus charges you a premium price for the privilege. I'm a little concerned about this hood because of some post I've run across about glue leaking out onto the lens barrel. Have you heard anything about this issue?
    Thanks, Bobby

12. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I remember seeing the same thread, I think it was an isolated case though.

• Like Like x 1
  13. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Looking very closely at the interior of both the 75mm and 42.5mm hoods the construction looks and feels identical. It even could be, if just looking at the interior, they could be manufactured by the same company.

14. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Good thread. I like the idea of leaving hoods attached, ready for action.
    This one will fox you, the PL25/f1.4, or perhaps a solution is to hand.

15. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    The supplied hoods for the Sigma 30 & 60 use 67mm cap.

16. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    This P/L 25mm is a puzzle. P/L provided a hood with matching cap for the 15mm along with aperture ring on the front of the lens. Why on earth did they provide such an odd hood without a matching cap for the 25mm? I hope they update this lens with an aperture ring and a standard round hood with matching cap for this great optic.
    Bobby

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    I agree totally with you Bobby, it's an outstanding lens. Perhaps someone with a 3D printer could possibly make (and sell) something suitable for the existing hood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. adi10times

adi10times Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Bandung, Indonesia
    Michael Adi P.
    Very informative, thanks.

For mZD 17mm/1.8, I use a 46mm screw in lens hood for Leica (58mm lens cap)

• Informative Informative x 1