Keeping E-PL5 dry

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kgeissler, Feb 25, 2013.

1. kgeissler

kgeissler Mu-43 Regular

Oct 25, 2012
    Rowlett, TX
    We are going on vacation next month to Canada and will be going on some boating trips. Some of the boat trips look like water spray may come into the boat. I want to get some good pictures, but also want to make sure I don't ruin my camera. Any ideas on how to keep the camera dry without spending an arm and leg?
  2. Gary Ramey

Gary Ramey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 27, 2012
    Aurora Colorado
    You might look into EWA-Marine Bags...basically a heavy duty plastic bag with a port. Not sure if they're making anything for the E-PL5.... its not a full kidney but half.
    Ewa-Marine D-B Underwater Housing For Mirrorless Cameras EM D-B

BTW... you should probably double check with ewa-marine that this is the correct bag. It is listed for PEN cameras.
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    You can also use a regular plastic bag. Cut off the "seal edge" and seal the hole around the lens with a rubber band. Put a filter on the lens and clean frequently. Surprisingly effective against spray.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Waht drd1135 said, but I would use an XL freezer bag as the base. Freezer bags are more durable and heavy-duty than regular storage bags, as they must prevent freezer burn. I store my cameras and mounted lens in XL Ziplock freezer bags inside my camera bags at all times, as well as my mobile flash unit (I don't bother with the lenses). This keeps them weather proof throughout my daily travels until I'm ready to take them out to shoot with.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Haven't bought one yet, but this article was very helpful. Might be overkill for your needs?
    Waterproof Camera Bags Review

I'd like to get a bag to take either my OM-D or E-PL5 and a couple lenses/filters on my trout fishing trips this spring-right now I'm leaning toward the Sagebrush Dry Goods Cam-Dry camera bag Horizontal Large size. I'll be wading in streams and for that you definitely want a dry bag against a) rain and b) unexpected spills - rocks are slippery.
  6. dshipp

dshipp Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 15, 2011
    Make sure you do something to keep it dry. I lost an E-PL2 to a big wave on a boat trip - by the end of the trip the shutter button had stopped working due to salt water ingress.

It wasn't much fun looking for a replacement in small town supermarkets. I ended up with a E-PL1 to tide me over and really wished I'd just kept the damn thing dry!

If you're spending more than £200 consider getting a GoPro for the boat trip and leaving your main camera at home that day.