Keeping camera's colours in aperture??

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Neftun, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    This may be quite basic, but I haven't found a solution..

I like my cameras abilities to tweak colour and bw, and I often set wb manually. Often I find my cameras got colours spot on, and maybe wanna just adjust highlights or something. I see the cam's colours in aperture on the preview, as I shot it, and then the program loads the file completely, but shows a completely different interpretation of the file after a few secs. Colours are different, highlights/shadows are different, it's all different. Jpegs are the same of course.

I wanna know if aperture can keep the camera's settings, and not do a complete reprocess of the data. Anyone know?

Thanks.

Patrick K

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

1. make sure Aperture is using 'camera WB' not Auto or some other setting

2. see if you can find a profile for Aperture for your camera... what camera do you have?

3. if you can't work it out with Aperture, try RawTherapee or DarkTable (both free)

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Not directly, no. Aperture does read the camera's WB settings, but that's basically it. You can create a preset to automatically adjust images to be closer to the output of a particular combination of camera JPEG settings (e.g. 'Camera Natural', Saturation +1, Contrast +0 etc.), but there's no built-in profile/preset for the camera's JPEG engine, nor does the camera read the various vendor-specific tags in the RAW file that indicate which camera JPEG settings were used. As to creating your own preset, it can help a lot, but even the best ones don't give a 100% match on tone curve and colors.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    sounds like you are shooting RAW... which is my preference... however if you are liking what you see on the back of the camera then you are seeing a jPEG reflecting any in camera settings you may have made. In that case shoot RAW plus JPEG until you are more comfortable with Aperture... or indeed any other PP application..

everybody has their own way of working ....I shoot and worry about processing afterwards... others will have different approaches

K

• Like Like x 2
  5. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Thanks for the replies guys. Profiling sounds interesting. I'll check that out.

Kevin: yes i shoot raw, assumed that was a given in postprocessing;) I have noticed your knowledge of aperture; was hoping for a reply from you:)
    My primary shooter is em1, and in many cases I like its jpegs. But in some cases I feel it fails utterly. Some shots are terribly grainy (why?? Low iso, med size, plenty light...) and other times weird colouring. My daughter sitting in green grass on a sunny day suddenly has yellow streaks in her face, not visible on raw file. Guess colourdepth??

I'd wish for the cameras settings as a startongpoint and go from there. Is it only olympus viewer who does that?

Patrick K

6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    As far as I know, but I find RawTherapee to be easier to use and am usually able to get the colors I want with adjustments to the sliders.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  7. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Really can't say without seeing the image/settings. Could be the camera settings, could be Aperture's defaults, could even be a bug in Aperture. Do note that so far as noise reduction is concerned, the Olympus JPEG settings are very aggressive, so some more noise than usual at medium and high ISOs is to be expected, but you should also see a fair bit more detail as well.

If you're using one of the standard settings - Natural, Portrait, etc., Adobe Lightroom has built-in presets that do a decent approximation. But for a 100% match (or if you've heavily customized the settings), Olympus Viewer is your only option.

If you're used to Aperture and like it's workflow, it's probably worth spending a little time trying to build your own preset. If not, I'd suggest giving Lightroom a try (free trial available). If nothing else, there're a lot more folks here who use it heavily and can offer suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Only olympus viewer knows what adjustments Olympus apply to the image data.

Apple and Adobe and every other raw processor have to guess what Olympus does to its RAW data

they tend to go for a neutral interpretation that offers the most data and the most latitude for correction

the camera does capture a jpeg preview based on the cameras settings that is part of the raw.. and certainly in Aperture you will see that on import before Aperture gets around to making its own preview.

shooting RAW, getting back to what you saw on the LCD on the camera is a challenge... but then again it can be an interesting challenge as you will learn an awful lot about what image processing is all about

Its not voodoo... there is a logic to it all

cheers

K

• Like Like x 2
  9. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I've been using Aperture for years. There is no real way to automatically acquire the Olympus colours in Aperture. Your file is simply another RAW format to Aperture.

That said, Aperture's colours are usually quite good, and with enough tweaking of the control blocks and then saving them as presets you should get pretty close. I find Aperture's colours to be more pleasant out of the box than Adobe's. As far as I know, there is no real "profile" in Aperture like Adobe. You're basically using Apple's secret-sauce to read the RAW file. It's the same engine that reads those files any other way in OSX. Otherwise, you'll just have to look for presets on your colour, contrast, and exposure blocks and work from there.

Alternatively, you can shoot RAW+JPEG and join them together in the Aperture library - you can do simple comparisons quite easily that way.

• Like Like x 1
  10. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Shoot a a jpg and raw of a scene. open both in Aperture. If you are happy with the jpg being displayed, edit the raw to create the same effect. Save those raw edits as a preset. Now you can apply that preset to your other raw files as needed.

The same basic idea applies to Lightroom.

• Like Like x 1