Keeping Camera Bag In Dry Cabinet

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by boatman37210, Jan 6, 2015.

1. boatman37210

boatman37210 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 28, 2012
    Any one keep their camera bag loaded and in a dry cabinet? Just started doing that myself. Makes for easy grab and go. I've read a few comments where it might cause problems, so thought I would check other opinions. Thanks.
  2. Carrera_C

Carrera_C Mu-43 Rookie

May 8, 2011
    What problems have people mentioned?

I used to keep my old Nikon kit in the bag all the time, usually just sitting in the corner of the room or in my cupboard though. My M43 kit lives in a drawer in my spare room now.
  3. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    I don't see how it would cause any problems - how do you mean?
  4. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    I've heard people comment in the past that their lenses started growing fungus because they were kept in a bag all the time. The theory being that light staves away fungus growth.

I believe there was more to it than that and location/climate also played a part.
  5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm not sure I have ever run into an occurrence of fungus on modern M4/3 lenses...
  6. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Don't leave things in a closed bag if anything is damp.

What's your normal humidity level indoors?
  7. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I suppose it varies with climate. In Detroit Michigan USA (42.3314° N, 83.0458° W) I've kept cameras in "never ready" leather cases, leather gadget bags, messenger bags, cloth bags, in cupboards, dresser drawers, top shelf of the closet, you name it. Dating from 1970 until present I've never had an issue with mold/mildew. Currently everything resides in a cabinet with glass doors but out of direct sunlight. Come warm weather my daily kit will reside in a Domke F-3x bag; makes it easy to grab 'n go.

In Thailand, however, you're looking at a different climate. I was in Vietnam for a year in 1969 and kept a 35mm Olympus Pen FT in a 'never ready' leather case when not in use and never experienced an issue but the camera/lens combination was in frequent use.

Perhaps someone in your part of the world can chime in with better data than I can supply.

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa

I'm not keeping my bag in my dry cabinet (peltier effect condenser), but I do keep my bags in a place which is dry and airy and free of dust. My bag is basic canvas and I put my lenses in "lens pouches" and my body in a thin neoprene camera case

Keeping spoors to a minimum is the thing.

If there has been prolonged humidity (like over 70) I put on the AC in that room too.
  9. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This highly depends on your location.

Buy a bunch of those silica dry packets and throw them in your lens cases, bags, and such....

I don't keep them in a dry cabinet but I certainly don't store them in my basement.
  10. boatman37210

Jun 28, 2012
    Fungus. Some would not store equipment in a bag because of fungus. One individual said to definitely not store bag in a dry cabinet. Lack of air and light.

To bag or not to bag can be debated, but once you decide to bag I'm not sure how putting the bag in a dry cabinet would make things worse. I would think it would be a plus.
  11. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    We live in a climate where in winter, mould is very likely to occur if not careful. That said, I just keep my gear in a camera case and/or factory case and ensure that there is always fresh silica gel pouches in each one. I also spray the outsides on a regular basis with a mixture of tea tree oil and water (about a 10% mix), which kills any and all spores that may start to take hold on the outside of the cases. Some materials appear more prone to mould growth than others.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    You could just get a UV light and expose the lenses periodically. That should take care of the fungus.
  13. boatman37210

Jun 28, 2012
    I'm located in Thailand, so high humidity. Room is air conditioned half the time, so humidity in the 50's. When air is not running, humidity level is normally in the 70's. At night outside reaches 100% on a regular basis. Started using a dry cabinet about a year ago.