Keeper Rate

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Brian Beezley, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

I got my E-PL2 almost a month ago. So far I've made 993 shots. I've kept 43 of them for a keeper rate of 4.3%. The keepers include images I like as well as ones I think I might be able to improve in the future with additional postprocessing and others that aren't that interesting but document something. If I count just the images I like, my keeper rate is 2.4%. I expect my keeper rate to go up as I learn how to take better photos and to go down as I become more critical.

What's your keeper rate?

Brian

2. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    My keeper rate is low, probably 20%, and I'm trying to lower it all the time: I rarely have the patience to sift through a good portion of my library for fun, which means that my photos are boring or I still keep too many. A bit of both, I'm sure.

3. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    My keeper rate is usually 10% but I find that I always end up dumping another 5% down the road. 'coz I tend to be nit picky.

4. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    I'm definitely under 10%, probably closer to 5%. That's the joy of digital!

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Pretty high actually (couldn't tell you the numbers) but I tend to shoot low volume (i.e., no "spray n' pray" shots).....

6. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 18, 2011
    To me, the metric that matters is keepers/time spent. Sometimes I'm doing a lot of bracketing, or experimenting with different compositions or lighting and a ton of the shots are thowaways. Which is fine. Other times I see something and know exactly what I want, so there are very few "wasted" frames. A good day for me is 5-6 shots that I really like, doesn't matter if that was out of 20 total or 200.
    And for one of those shots that you know you're still going to be proud of 10 years down the road, a weeks worth of time is a good investment. :smile:

7. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    Jesse
    Probably around 10%. But like you, in the future I plan on getting better and being more picky.

8. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    I used to have a keeper rate of 10% or so as well... I used to shoot 600 frames in a day when I started.

Now, depends on where I go I usually shoot between 50-200frames only... for walk around it could even be less than 50. I would say my keeper rate is half or more of what I shoot, but I am not picky and as long as it's sharp it's gonna stay. I lowered it down coz I hate to do PP and I want all my pictures to be done 1 day after I shoot them :wink: otherwise it will take me a loonng time to finish editing them.

With the E-M5 I am shooting a bit more and have a lower keeper rate coz I have a lot of Out Of Focus(OOF) shots due to it not being able to track... I usually take 2-3 shots of any moving objects just to make sure I nail it sharp. I am still trying to adjust to it after 3 years of continuously shooting with AF-C on D700.

9. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    I have a high rate also. Just photographed a wedding this weekend, not with 43rd's gear, but my Nikons and I shot a total of 332 frames and will give them 306. My 43rd's shoots run more in the 50-75% range but I am no "spray - n - pray" shooter either, just like RT.

Randy

10. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I just don't have the patience to go through 600 shots to find a few good ones....:biggrin:

11. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    you know how it is in the beginning, 4fps bursts, 10-20 shots of static subjects, even do 7 exposure HDR too from all angles :biggrin:

my first big trip was in Sydney and I took about 6000 JPEG shots in 6 days, excited and tweaked them in Paint:redface:... and I must say almost none ended up as keepers :redface:

12. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    My threshold for 'keeper' is publishable. In the film-only days my keeper rate was 1:36. With digital, my rate is somewhere around 1:45-50.

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  13. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Between 5-10% on paid/portfolio shoots. When I have difficulty hitting that number or going below that, I know I had a good shoot. On my personal/for fun shooting I put much less pressure on myself, and the keeper rate shoots up significantly. For me, the most important part of editing is the culling.

14. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I usually take 2 or 3 frames per subject and call it a day. So I guess that means my keeper rate is 30-50%.

Again, I just don't have the patience to go through hundreds of shots....:redface:

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Edit:
    I must admit my soccer & baseball shots sucked so my keeper rate was low at first until I figured out timing.....:redface:

16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Edit Again:
    The above posts are all with familiar subjects/types.....New and unfamiliar subject matter = terrible keeper rate. :biggrin:

17. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Now that I've had my E-PL2 for eight months, I thought I'd update this thread. I've shot 4904 photos in that time. Of those, I've kept 178 for a keeper rate of 3.6%. The 4904 count includes a fair number of test shots and the 178 includes photos for utility purposes, such as ads. Knowing that the next time I snap the shutter there's only a 3.6% chance I'll keep the result doesn't deter me. It's still fun, and if I pay attention, I learn something from every shot.

Incidentally, it finally dawned on me that the shutter count is embedded in the filename the camera assigns. The shutter count was something like 25 more than the filename number. I remember that the shutter count was about 25 when I got the camera. I'm guessing that Olympus resets the filename count but not the shutter count after they test a camera. It's a lot easier to look at the filename than perform the magic button sequence that yields the shutter count. I believe the only reason I can get away with this is that I use just one memory card.

Brian

18. deejayvee

deejayvee Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    David
    My keeper rate is actually getting lower. Because it's digital, I go for the spray n' pray. However, as I get better, I get more discerning about which ones I want to process.

19. woof

woof Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    The present.
    Why not actually edit the first post as opposed to spraying and praying.

20. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Mine typically runs between 1/3 and 2/3 keepers.