keep the Voigtlander 25mm or get 17mm 1.8 + 25mm F1.4?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by ntblowz, Jun 4, 2013.

1. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Lately I've been thinking of selling the Voigtlander 25mm 0.95 to get both the 17mm f1.8 and 25mm f1.4 or 45mm F1.8. With the upcoming G6 with focus peaking it would certainly help me in terms of manual focusing on those AF lens. (also because I gave 20mm to my dad so I don't have any fast AF prime)

But I would loose that 0.95 (I usually turn down to 1.4 for sharpness) and superb quality build, and slightly less on the bank.

What do you guys reckon?

2. TDP

TDP Guest

The CV 25 MFD is a few inches, I find when I switch to another lens after using the 25 for a bit I always wish I could focus closer. If a super close MFD is something you like and use, I would consider keeping the CV.

3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'll cry when I no longer get to use the CV 25 f0.95. AF is for punks - does not even work in low light.

4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I'm not sure why focus-peaking on the G6 is a reason not to stick with the Voigtlander? Surely peaking would be more of a bonus on an MF lens than one with AF?

Anyway, to the question... IMO the Nokton is the kind of lens that, if you need to ask others whether or not you should keep it, it's probably time to sell up.

5. Mateusz

Mateusz Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 23, 2013
    Poland
    Mateusz
    yes, this is a bit strange question indeed.

the way I understand it, you would like to switch to:
    - new body with focus peaking
    and
    - buy af lenses
    to
    - do manual focusing with those new af lenses, thanks to new focus peaking capabilities
    ??!!!:)

so the way I read is that you really like manual focusing, but you do not like 25 (50)mm ? or like 25 (as one of your options is 25) but significantly missing something wider ?

My approach is: as long as you can afford it and like it, play with the gear: buy, try, sell, you pay the 'rental fee' (hopefully not very high - if you buy used, then 'rental fee' is not very high :)). So change, try it, if you do not like it get back to manual 0,95.

Cheers,
    Mateusz