1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Keep or return the RX100M3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by m43man, Jul 4, 2014.

1. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Last year when I got the RX100M2, I made some of the most wonderful pictures I'd remember because the camera was always with me. But when the LCD flip screen started breaking from normal use, I finally decided to return it after the 2nd unit had the same issue.

Fast forward to 2014, the M3 has addressed all the build quality issues, not to mention an added bonus of EVF, which is sorely missing on my GM1, which has been the "go-to" pocket size camera for the past year.

But the fact is, as small as the body of GM1 is, it's still not pocketable and it has never been with me when I needed a camera. Especially now that summer is here, the reflective GM1 screen is very hard to take pictures with during the day in the sun.

Anyone else having this issue with GM1 and wondering if the RX100M3 can replace it? Of course the versatility of interchangeable lenses or longer FLs are not available on the M3, so I'm back to my dilemma. Any thoughts? :confused:

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    i can imagine the deliberating feeling of not thinking of what lenses to bring etc. so i would encourage you to go sony only :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Wait a few weeks and see what the LX8 brings. Its supposed to have an EVF as well as a fast lens and 4K video... and hopefully better durability if you broke 2 RX100s

• Like Like x 1
  4. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Honestly, if the problems you were having stem from the flip screen...just get the original. I loved mine while I had it. A camera will only work for you if it's one you want to take with you.

Unless the LX8's lens collapses better than the LX7's, you're probably not going to take that with you either. I'd suggest a Fuji XQ1 if you want something small but still with lots of controls, but reading the DPReview article on it, the 1.8 aperture becomes 3.5 at 35mm equivalent, so forget that.

The real point of all of this is that Sony has created a camera that really is in a class of one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Yes the feeling of not having to worry about lenses is great! But the DR on the small 1" sensor is not as good as M43... Sigh, compromises.

6. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    The M3 has a completely new flip screen construction that is actually solid, so I'm worried about it anymore. I agree that it's a truly unique camera.

7. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Yes the LX8 sounds really interesting. That's another reason why I'm considering returning the M3 too. I wish Panasonic would just announce it already or that there are more leaks! :)

The problem is, M3 is already at the size that is not very comfortable to pocket, LX8 is going to be even bigger? It's still going to be smaller than GM1 + any lens, but I don't think somehow they'll manage to shrink the size down to RX100 level?! :eek:

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    The rumor (which you might have heard) is that its 3% larger than the LX7

• Like Like x 1
  9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I have given up with the ultra-small m4/3's cameras, E-PMx and GM1 and now carry the E-M10 w/17 around with me. There are too many compromises going very small. I have a small messenger bag that I use and it has the bonus of always having my sunglasses with me when I need them!

• Like Like x 2
  10. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Yea EVF is a must for sunny weather shooting, the M3 has it now, if only GM1 has it too then I would't consider straying :rolleyes:

11. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    If LX8 is even bigger than LX7, but smaller than GM1 with equivalent lens, then its worth considering! I amy just have to return M3 and wait for news to confirm! Wish Leaks were coming faster :smile:

12. wushumr2

wushumr2 Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Well it's interesting to compare the LX7 to a m4/3 camera with a standard zoom lens, such as the the GM1 with 12-32 lens. The LX7's equivalent aperture is 7.14-11.73 with a zoom range of 24-90mm. The GM1 will have an equivalent aperture of 7-11.2 with a zoom range of 24-64. The GM1+12-32 has a TINY aperture win, and a much narrower zoom range. Control-wise they're probably a wash (touchscreen and fewer controls vs a GX1-like layout for the LX7). The GM1 can handle higher ISOs while the LX7 will have much faster shutter speeds and has a built in ND filter while the GM1 has to rely on the electronic shutter with its inherent deficiencies.

The LX7 and GM1 aren't quite in the same category, but that's been the point with a lot of camera development in the last few years: many products which don't neatly fit into a specific category, giving buyers a lot of overlap in terms of performance and features.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    To the OP: I'd wait until the LX8 comes out and compare it to the RX100 Mark III. If you can't wait, then just go for the Sony. I wouldn't wring my hands over ultimate image quality between micro four thirds and the latest one-inch sensor. Every review I've read indicates IQ with the smaller sensor is just fine - not to mention that you'd be working with faster apertures. The LX8 might be jacket pocketable but probably won't be pants pocketable (the LX7 really wasn't). And the GM1 certainly isn't pants pocketable with any lens on it. But the latest RX100 is still pants pocketable. I think the choices here are fairly clear. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
  14. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Yea, i think I'm gonna shoot with GM1 a bit longer to see what LX8 lacks that I absolutely need on the M3. I think in the end it might come down to size, since M3 already doesn't fit in my tight jeans, might as well go for LX8 which has more usable FL, plus potentially better lens with 4k on top.