Keep my GF2 or get a S95?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by timothysoong, Dec 9, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Lately, I just got a GH2. And Ive find that Ive always been using my GH2 instead of my GF2. However I realized I stop carrying a camera in my bag 24/7. However since Ive got a M43 system camera already. I'd thought probably I can carry something lighter like the S95.

And S95 has lotsa features like color accents, miniature, etc. Which the GF2 dont.

But the thing is GF2 has way can shoot better image and videos than the S95.

Whichever that I'd have, either keeping the GF2 or getting the S95. I'd still carry it with me 24/7 in my bag.

But I'd just want to hear some thoughts, if it was to be you, would you keep the GF2 or you'll get rid of the GF2 and get a S95 instead?

2. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have had a similar experience. I have a G2 (similar size and weight to the GH2) and I love it for the way it handles and the controls. I also had an E-P1 (which I liked quite a lot...in theory) but I found that it always stayed in the cabinet. For me the GF2 was a bit too small for my hands and yet not quite small enough to be pocketable. So, I sold the E-P1 I went the point and shot route (a Panasonic ZS3 and an LX3) and each time I came away unhappy with the IQ. For me m43 is a nice happy medium where it is small compared to a more conventional DSLR and yet has very good IQ.

In your position I'd stick with the GF2. It's a terrific little camera (I had one for a while). If you're set on getting a new camera than I'd say look at something like a GF3 or E-PM1 but I doubt you'd really be improving that much on what you already have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    It will be hard to be satisfied with S95 pics after getting used to m43. I've been using S90 for almost two years but haven't touched it since I got E-PM1+14mm. I suggest just keep your GF2 and use it with pancake for compactness. These days I just use my iphone for snapshots.

• Like Like x 1
  4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    That's funny you mention that, I also use my iPhone for snaps. I agree, when I had the GF2 it was a nice compact package with the 14 on it. Now the 14 sits on my E-P1 and it's also nice an compact relative to my G2. You'll be better off keeping what you have.

5. fullkoll

fullkoll New to Mu-43

Jan 15, 2010
    North of Sweden
    Kjell
    Keep your GF2!

• Like Like x 1
  6. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Basically the main reason to get a s95 is for its pocketability and for carrying it 24/7 for snapshots. But since I only own a iPhone 3G which is only 3MP, I'd put the s95 into consideration for snapshots.

Anyway, with all been said, I guess I'd be keeping my GF2 for now, until I find a more convincible reason to replace it.

I'd still like to hear more opinions though..

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I think the OP was refering to much cheaper S95. I'm gonna keep my S90 until it dies because after I discovered CHDK it became much more valuable to me for silent time-lapse photography.

8. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'd say if you need the pocketability for daily use and you don't have an iPhone (particularly a 4S), then the S95 is a great option - particularly since you can get them for under $300 now that the S100 is out. But if you really don't need a camera that small, keep the GF2. For anyone else simply looking a good, non-interchangeable lens compact, check out the Fuji X10 and Olympus XZ-1.

9. donlaw

donlaw Mu-43 Regular

Aug 19, 2011
    Texas
    Don Lawrence
    I picked up the S100 recently as a 'carry all the time' camera.
    The E-P3 even with the 14mm, is too big for pockets. And the iphone4 just doesn't have enough control to replace a good pocket camera.
    The S100 is perfect for someone who likes to tinker around with settings.

I haven't actually seen a EPM1, I wonder if anyone uses that with the 14mm, or 17mm as a 'larger' pocket camera?

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    There is an issue with the Canon S100, with three out of three samples tested by dpreview.com exhibiting significant lens decentering, where the edges are noticeably softer on one side than the other. Until that gets explained/fixed/resolved, I would be leery about buying an S100. Perhaps it was an assembly or lens manufacturing problem that has been corrected, but when spending that kind of money....

11. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    To my understanding Canon S90/95 Sony CCD sensor may actually be better than Canon's own new CMOS sensor. If there is IQ improvement, it's likely to come from the new processor. Haven't 1/1.7" cameras reached their IQ limit a few years ago?

12. VasManI

VasManI Mu-43 Regular

Jan 21, 2011
    I have owned the Canon S95 for about a year, and it is by far the best point and shoot camera I've ever had. I also have an Olympus E-P1, and the two cannot be compared, since one is HUGE (E-P1)compared to the other (S95). I also had the pleasure of playing with the S100 today, and that will be my next P&S camera, after the prices drop a little, and CHDK comes out. In terms of comparing it to the Panasonic GF2 or Olympus PENs, there is no comparison. Neither of the Panasonic or Olympus cameras will fit in a pocket, so what's the point of comparing them.

13. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    The OP's definition of pocketable is "will fit in a bag"

https://www.mu-43.com/f76/tempted-compact-18637/index9.html

14. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Can I also ask a question since this is relating....Does anyone have comparison pictures to the GF2 vs S95? I'm still wondering if a good photographer can make a picture of similar IQ with an S95 as they could with a GF2.

I just bought a GF2 after being used to using Canon P&S cameras and still trying to learn where the GF2 excels compared to an S95 other than interchangeable lenses. Playing with an S95 was great and the JPG pictures it takes are amazing for the size. The GF2's sensor seems just as noisy as the S95 when you bump it up taking JPGs. Maybe I need to get unlazy and shoot in RAW?

15. m1pui

m1pui Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Sunderland, UK
    If you click that link above, there's the nearest thing I have to a comparison. But it's with a 500D, GF-1 & Canon G10, which I believe has same sensor as S90 if that's any indication.

Edit: and all of those photos are jpegs straight from the respective camera

16. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    The S95 is very good, but it is still a compact. It is however far more portable than any m43 camera and it's low light capability is excellent.
    I'll always choose the G1 for proper photography, but the S95 is great for out and about and social where a bigger camera is just not appropriate.

These are all S95 shots which will give you an idea of its low light capabilities, I never use a flash.

17. roverT

roverT Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2011
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Wow I love the colour of the S90. I've always loved the colour from Canon P&S. I learned the most using my Canon G5 until it stopped working long ago. Being able to exploit an SD980IS was rewarding as I got a lot of great pictures with that considering a small sensor but it was in my pocket when I needed a picture!

I've been tweaking my GF2 since I only got it a week ago but it seems like it needs a tad more work to make the photos more saturated in colour than I'm used to. I've never cared to shoot in RAW yet just because I didn't want to have to post process every picture I took. I liked that I can take the card out and copy a picture(s) to my friend's computer and it's done. Although RAW does do JPG at the same time. I didn't want to store a huge file because I'd feel obligated to keep it as well as my tweaked JPG. I'm so used to taking pictures at lower megapixel so save on space as I don't really print my picture except for the odd 4x6 or 5x7. Hopefully this GF2 will give me the DOF that's closer to an SLR because I love how the subject of the picture pops out and tells the story!

18. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    +1

I love my S95, and it has a place in my line-up. Much smaller than my E-P3, which is much smaller than my DSLRs. Each have their place, and the S95 is a very capable camera in its own right. Much better than any phone camera, even if just for the better ergonomics.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    GF2 is not a point & shoot, the S95 is. Thus apples & oranges are being looked at :smile:

20. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Apples and oranges? Yes, but the S95 is far from being a simple P&S.