Keep my 60mm Macro or get a close up lens for the Oly 12-40mm?

manju69

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Hi all

I have the 60mm Macro, which is amazing but I am not using it that much - only once in a while do I want to get that close. The rest of the time i get close enough with the 12-40mm. My main subjects are not macro but I do like to get up close occasionally. I don't like having unused equipment lying around so was wondering should i get a close up lens instead to add on to my 12-40 to get that bit more magnification when i need it? What would the disadvantages be with this? Would I lose quality and how will it effect DOF? Sorry if these are obvious questions! Thanks in advance.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
The difference with a macro lens and a normal lens that can focus close, is that a macro lens has been designed to produce a flat field, so it inherently will provide a better close up result. That said, you can still get very good results with high quality lenses and an extension tube.

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Adding to what OzRay said, speciality lenses such as Raynox 150 and 250 can add up to your zoom lens and provide terrific results. search this forum, plenty of results

sent from my Xperia Z

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The difference with a macro lens and a normal lens that can focus close, is that a macro lens has been designed to produce a flat field, so it inherently will provide a better close up result. ....

... if, and only if, the subject is perfectly flat across the whole field of view (e.g. copy work, slide "scanning", ...). With the typical "macro wildlife" images (read: bugs and flowers...) the flat field of a true high quality macro lens is not an advantage.

High quality close up lenses of modest strength (+1d - +3d) can deliver excellent images. I occasionally use an old Nikon #2 (+3d) close-up lens with my Pany 14-45. The results are excellent. There is some additional barrel distortion and the edges of the frame are focused at a slightly different distance than the center. When photographing something like a part of a small flower, the edges of the subject are not the same distance from the lens as the central subject so the fact that the best focus is not at the same distances at the edge as at the center doesn't matter.

zensu

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Bobby
The 12-40 captures amazing close up images at all focal lengths and add on close up lenses or extension tubes can help you get even closer but you will inevitably run into a brick wall called the front element of the lens. The Oly 60 macro gives you great working distance from your subject giving you more control over things like lighting or backgrounds. If you don't need 1:3 or greater magnification then the 60 macro could be better used by someone else. I love my 60 macro and consider it the sharpest macro lens I've ever owned. It's a keeper for me.

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The 12-40 captures amazing close up images at all focal lengths and add on close up lenses or extension tubes can help you get even closer but you will inevitably run into a brick wall called the front element of the lens....

True when using extension tubes, but rarely true when using close-up lenses.

Rudy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Adding a close-up lens to the 12-40 will buy you very little.
I just tried it with a +3 diopter Marumi DHG 330.
The lens by itself at closest focus distance and 40 mm FL covers about 47mm in width.
With the 3 diopter lens this goes down to 40 mm, about 20%, i.e. hardly worth bothering.
It's a completely different story with a longer focal length lens.
At 300mm FL on the Oly 75-300 closest focus covers 100 mm width. With the 3 diopter lens this goes down to 20 mm, a 5x improvement.
Extension tubes don't work on the 12-40 as you would be hitting the front element. With a 10mm extension ring and manual focus to infinity, i.e. farthest out the dust on your front element is in focus. (I just tried this as well...)
Rudy

Hi all

I have the 60mm Macro, which is amazing but I am not using it that much - only once in a while do I want to get that close. The rest of the time i get close enough with the 12-40mm. My main subjects are not macro but I do like to get up close occasionally. I don't like having unused equipment lying around so was wondering should i get a close up lens instead to add on to my 12-40 to get that bit more magnification when i need it? What would the disadvantages be with this? Would I lose quality and how will it effect DOF? Sorry if these are obvious questions! Thanks in advance.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
... if, and only if, the subject is perfectly flat across the whole field of view (e.g. copy work, slide "scanning", ...). With the typical "macro wildlife" images (read: bugs and flowers...) the flat field of a true high quality macro lens is not an advantage.

High quality close up lenses of modest strength (+1d - +3d) can deliver excellent images. I occasionally use an old Nikon #2 (+3d) close-up lens with my Pany 14-45. The results are excellent. There is some additional barrel distortion and the edges of the frame are focused at a slightly different distance than the center. When photographing something like a part of a small flower, the edges of the subject are not the same distance from the lens as the central subject so the fact that the best focus is not at the same distances at the edge as at the center doesn't matter.

I've used all the macro options that have been ever available and there is no debating that a dedicated macro lens will perform better than a general purpose lens. It's not just the flat field, it's the fact that the optics have been designed to work optimally at the higher magnifications vs general lenses. Yes, general lenses can work well, but if you were really into macrophotography, then you'd be silly not to own a dedicated macro lens.

m4/3boy

Mu-43 Veteran
Keep the 60. It can be used as a macro lens or as a general purpose lens. I don't use my 60 a lot but when I do I'm glad I have it.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Keep the 60mm, and the 12-40. Get the 40-150 Pro as it has a ~2' minimum focus distance and put a closeup lens on the front and/or extensions tubes on the back as needed.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
Keep the 60. It can be used as a macro lens or as a general purpose lens. I don't use my 60 a lot but when I do I'm glad I have it.

I'd say keep it too, because the 12-40 only goes to 40mm while the 60mm macro is useful for macro it is also good for a short tele too. If you go for the 40-150 f/2.8 lens then that (60mm lens) won't be so useful then except for macro.

lightmonkey

Mu-43 Veteran
see how close the 12-40 can get, with total sensor coverage (16mp):
https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=70195

i dont use the 60mm double-duty for portrait or general shooting because AF is slow so i prefer 45 or 75. it then is rarely ever carried around and the 12-40 seems to work in a pinch. for this hobbyist, it is mostly a shelf lens.

manju69

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Thanks all. I have the wonderful 75 for portraits and mid tele so I would not us the 60mm for that. I don't take bug picture so its really for the times when i get extra close (raindrops/textures/flowers sometimes)...so a short working distance is fine for those. Will a close up lens really not get me that much closer?

m4/3boy

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks all. I have the wonderful 75 for portraits and mid tele so I would not us the 60mm for that. I don't take bug picture so its really for the times when i get extra close (raindrops/textures/flowers sometimes)...so a short working distance is fine for those. Will a close up lens really not get me that much closer?
The focal length allows you to distance yourself from the subject.

Close up lenses are not a substitute for macro lenses which are highly corrected.

Do some research on the topic or sell the lens.

manju69

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
The focal length allows you to distance yourself from the subject.

Close up lenses are not a substitute for macro lenses which are highly corrected.

Do some research on the topic or sell the lens.

Hi. I think you misunderstood. I don't want to put a close up lens on the 60mm its for my 12-40mm maybe. Please read my original post before telling me to do some research which I already did. And as I say I am not that concerned about working distance because of my subjects.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

Latest threads

Top Bottom